Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #101
BeansInChili
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem788 View Post
Finally went out Saturday morning for the first time this year. I planned to hunt a tree I used a few years ago and hoped it would be unoccupied and still ready to hunt. I got kind of turned around since I hadnít been out there since 2018 season. While walking through the dark I hear something jump up in the brush to my left and swing my flashlight that direction just in time to see a young deer lunge face first into a tree. It fell like a sack of potatoes. I figured it just knocked itself out so I waited a few minutes watching it lay there and it never moved again. Little dude hit the tree so hard he broke his neck. I came home with some meat but not exactly how I planned.

Definitely not the preferred way to harvest a deer but it makes a darn good story to tell.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeansInChili is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #102
scottimus
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem788 View Post
Finally went out Saturday morning for the first time this year. I planned to hunt a tree I used a few years ago and hoped it would be unoccupied and still ready to hunt. I got kind of turned around since I hadnít been out there since 2018 season. While walking through the dark I hear something jump up in the brush to my left and swing my flashlight that direction just in time to see a young deer lunge face first into a tree. It fell like a sack of potatoes. I figured it just knocked itself out so I waited a few minutes watching it lay there and it never moved again. Little dude hit the tree so hard he broke his neck. I came home with some meat but not exactly how I planned.
Is it your stand Iíve been sitting in? Lol
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #103
rem788
Ten Point
 
rem788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Beansandchili, I agree and I’d would have preferred sitting in the stand, getting a shot and tracked a deer but it is what it is.

Scottimus, No sir. I don’t leave my stands or any equipment out there. I carry it in and out every time. Although when I was out there this time I did walk past two of the same brand cameras locked to trees in an area I hunted a few years ago. That was only the second time I’ve seen cameras out there.
rem788 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #104
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point
 
TXOUTLAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem788 View Post
Small like a nubbin. He barely had two little bumps on his head. I wouldnít have taken a shot at him if I had the chance but I also wasnít just going to leave it there to go to waste.

Cool story


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #105
scottimus
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem788 View Post
Beansandchili, I agree and Iíd would have preferred sitting in the stand, getting a shot and tracked a deer but it is what it is.

Scottimus, No sir. I donít leave my stands or any equipment out there. I carry it in and out every time. Although when I was out there this time I did walk past two of the same brand cameras locked to trees in an area I hunted a few years ago. That was only the second time Iíve seen cameras out there.
Somebody left their tree stand from last year. Built a nice cage for it and all...lol

All galvanized 1/2Ē pipe shell.
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #106
scottimus
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Just saw a nice 4pt buck. It was down wind and winded me while screaming away. Lol
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #107
HogStalker
Six Point
 
HogStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
Somebody left their tree stand from last year. Built a nice cage for it and all...lol

All galvanized 1/2Ē pipe shell.

Are you trolling or really sitting someone elseís stand? Doesnít sound like mine, but fair chance youíd be taking a bludgeon point to the rear if you were.
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #108
HogStalker
Six Point
 
HogStalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
Just saw a nice 4pt buck. It was down wind and winded me while screaming away. Lol

4 point, you should just stop hunting now before the game warden eats you for breakfast.
HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #109
rem788
Ten Point
 
rem788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
Somebody left their tree stand from last year. Built a nice cage for it and all...lol

All galvanized 1/2Ē pipe shell.
That doesnít surprise me. I know where three other stands are that have been strapped to those same trees for at least 5 years. Iíve never seen anyone sit in them, thereís no seat cushions and one has vines growing on it.
rem788 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #110
Tommyh
Pope & Young
 
Tommyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy
Default

Sounds like id rather hunt there than the sam. How bad is vehicle burglary?
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #111
Pretengineer
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: College Station TX
Hunt In: Somerville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
Sounds like id rather hunt there than the sam. How bad is vehicle burglary?
I haven't heard of any. But also I don't leave things in my truck to attract thieves.
Pretengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com