Thinking about Japanese honeysuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about Japanese honeysuckle

I've got some brushpiles around a foodplot that I'm thinking about planting Japanese honeysuckle in. I've got high deer density, should they keep it from becoming a problem like I've read about in other areas? How well does it do in drought conditions from time to time?

Why plant an exotic, whats wrong with poison ivy or greenbriar? Both good deer foods and natives. Whatever you plant probably isn't going to be a huge portion of their diet either way and honeysuckle would just be a mistake in my opinion.

I'm a big proponent of natives though.

Comment

Honeysuckle is one of the few exotic plants that are a good idea to plant.

But I do agree that natives are usually the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
        Why plant an exotic, whats wrong with poison ivy?.

Why would you want to plant that devil weed?

Comment

ive never thought about planting poison ivy. the seeds are hard to find i assume. it is probably easier to transfer the plants.

Comment

I can't believe this has turned in to planting poison ivy. I don't care what anyone says, that plant does zero good and is proof the devil exists. Planting it should be added to the deadly sins list.

Comment

Honeysuckle is fine to plant. I have a couple areas where it grows good on my property and I have taken cuttings from it and planted it in several other areas. Its really good deer browse and they will work on it pretty hard during the mid summer time.

Comment

Please don't plant poison ivy...its put me in the hospital twice

Comment

Greenbriar is a valuable plant to the deer. I would take it over poison ivy in a heartbeat. But honey suckle is the best of the three and will help out bee and butterfly populations.

Comment

Honey suckle is a great idea. Just don't plant Japanese Honey suckle. Plant Scarlet Honey Suckle. Its more attractive to the deer and less invasive on native species and food plots.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
                      I can't believe this has turned in to planting poison ivy. I don't care what anyone says, that plant does zero good and is proof the devil exists. Planting it should be added to the deadly sins list.
                      You must be talking about bull nettle.

Comment

Working...
                      X