.223 Keyhole / Tumbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.223 Keyhole / Tumbling

Thought I would post this photo from my range session yesterday. Here are some of the details.

1. Shot with my Stag Arms Model 3G AR15 in .223, a generally ~MOA setup. 1-8 twist barrel is usually really good to stabilize 69gn match ammo (which I have shot to over 600yds)

2. Distance is ~40 yards.

3. Ammo is 55gn .223 Monarch (Academy) steel case lacquered

4. Gun cycled reliably and no difference in feel was noticed.

5. Gun returned to a tight group (or as tight as I shoot, as I was shooting standing tripod) with an ammo change to a better 55gn round.

This is super cheap Russian ammo. Unsure that I can believe that tumble would happen due to a few percent lower velocity, as the 55gn should stabilize without issue.

My only guess is undersized bullets not touching the rifling at all.

Anyone with an alternate theory?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Were you holding the gun straight?
    They were all hits and the grouping for the keyholes was tight.
    All seriousness...I'd say cheap undersized poor quality ammo...No doubt. 1:8 should handle it all.
    I only run steel case in my AK. Gun was made for it. Feed brass in the AR. The Russian crap is too unreliable. Only good for blasting. Nothing like a Lake City head stamp.

Comment

That’s wild. My 1-8 twist doesn’t like the Russian stuff, but nothing that crazy!!

Comment

Yeah that is wild. I've seen keyhole with crappy ammo, but that looks like it came out a barrel that was completely shot out.

Comment

wow never seen that. I would stay away from the cheap ammo. Maybe the length of the bullet had something to do with it not stabilizing in a 1:8"? or as stated above under sized cal.?

Comment

Can you put a mic. on one of the bullets to verify diameter?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
              Can you put a mic. on one of the bullets to verify diameter?
              Yes. I have a selection of match ammo at the house, that I can verify against.

Looking at the empty boxes in my shooting bag, it appears that I shot 2 different lot numbers from the same location and same month. I have a few boxes of each lot number left, so I may take them back out to the range and see if I can get it to repeat with 1 or the other... then see what they do in another firearm.

I'll also see if I can get a bore scope done, so I can rule out any wear or damage in the barrel that may be exaggerating this. Not expecting any surprises, as I recently shot this rifle in the Competition Dynamics Team Safari and am really confident of its capabilities (with $1.00 a shot, Black Hills 69gn Match).

Comment

I saw something similar last weekend. A friend was shooting his 62 grain reloads from his Remington with 1:12 twist and they were tumbling also.
                Went back to his 50 grain reloads and could stack them all in the same hole.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                  I saw something similar last weekend. A friend was shooting his 62 grain reloads from his Remington with 1:12 twist and they were tumbling also.
                  Went back to his 50 grain reloads and could stack them all in the same hole.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Similar experience for me. Wanted the kids to have plenty of .223 ammo to practice, so purchased cheap foreign surplus in 60-something grain. They tore holes through the paper just like that, and scattered all over. Not what I wanted for kids obviously. Went back to Hornady 55 gr V-max, $1 per round, but drive tacks at 100 yd through my Savage bolt action. Gave the kids .22 for plinking.

Comment

On the other hand, that would put a hurtin on a hog !

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                      62 grain reloads with 1:12 twist
                      I have also seen very poor results with heavy bullets in slow twist barrels ... but not really as much when 55 grain are being spun just slightly faster (1:8) than optimal (1:9).

Comment

You can run into over stabilization of light bullets with too fast of a twist. Now, 55gr and 1:8 doesn't sound like you would be in that zone. Since it stabilizes other 55gr, I would try shooting both through a chronograph and see if the un-stabilized bullets are running hot or slow.

Comment

.223 Keyhole / Tumbling

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
                          You can run into over stabilization of light bullets with too fast of a twist. Now, 55gr and 1:8 doesn't sound like you would be in that zone. Since it stabilizes other 55gr, I would try shooting both through a chronograph and see if the un-stabilized bullets are running hot or slow.

I don’t believe you can spin anything fast enough out of a 223 for this to occur. Additionally Bryan Litz has stated that overstabilization isn’t a concern. It will cause the Bullet to fly nose high causing a loss of accuracy and BC but otherwise is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Shot again today... repeated, but shooting 55gn with 2 different rifles to attempt to rule out ammo quality.

Same box of ammo (10 each), same shooter, 40 yds prone, same optics, both 1:8 twist on AR platforms.

Time to send it in for a barrel I think.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post

This is super cheap Russian ammo.
                              Here's your issue. I bet they cheaped out or inadvertently used 5.45x39mm bullets which is a similar Russian round using a .220 bullet

Comment

Working...
                              X