No announcement yet.

South Llano River SP exotic hunt report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any preference on a specific area for the axis?

Comment

Try to get one of the blinds in the lower area of the park. That's where most of the axis are taken. Stand #33 is historically their most productive blind for axis but the guy in #31 got the most with four taken.

Comment

I go
        January 23-26 hope it’s same

Comment

Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            Try to get one of the blinds in the lower area of the park. That's where most of the axis are taken. Stand #33 is historically their most productive blind for axis but the guy in #31 got the most with four taken.
            Thanks for the info! How far of shots should I expect? I'll take my .223 and my .270 and might switch it up depending on shot distance.

Comment

Very cool. That's one of the hunts that is on my list of application hunts. Hopefully I'll get drawn one day.

Do you just take your own corn and corn your own stand? I guess you draw for a stand the entire hunt so your not in a different stand every day?

Comment

I was drawn and hunted there for the first week of December 2014 and was drawn again this year, going the 2nd weekend of January. Most of the axis had gone nocturnal or were pushed back in the Walter Buck hills by that point as there were a couple of rounds of youth hunts prior to ours where they really got tore up. There were plenty of whitetail doe. I ended up shooting 3 WT does and the only Axis I saw hunting which was a spike. Great hunt with a lot of animals. Looking forward to going back!

Comment

I don't think that place offers any shots over 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    I don't think that place offers any shots over 100 yards.
                    Just depends on what stand you get. Some of the stands down by the river have shots probably out to 200-250 yards. You can see a long ways down some of the pecan tree flats. Some of the stands are a lot less. One of the stands in the walter buck part only gives you about 35 yards at the most.

Comment

So how does blind selection work? Do we draw for numbers or do we get to pick ourselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                        Thanks for the info! How far of shots should I expect? I'll take my .223 and my .270 and might switch it up depending on shot distance.
                        Minimum caliber allowed is .243

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                          So how does blind selection work? Do we draw for numbers or do we get to pick ourselves?
                          You draw a number for what order you pick blinds in. #1 gets first pick and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                            I was drawn and hunted there for the first week of December 2014 and was drawn again this year, going the 2nd weekend of January. Most of the axis had gone nocturnal or were pushed back in the Walter Buck hills by that point as there were a couple of rounds of youth hunts prior to ours where they really got tore up. There were plenty of whitetail doe. I ended up shooting 3 WT does and the only Axis I saw hunting which was a spike. Great hunt with a lot of animals. Looking forward to going back!
                            We were on the same hunt. I hunted in stand 5 then. Did you draw antlerless/spike in January?
                            Last edited by bigchiefj; 11-16-2017, 10:15 PM. Reason: Added a question

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                              Minimum caliber allowed is .243
                              Welp, .270 it is then!

Comment

PM sent Grizz

Comment

Working...
                                X