No announcement yet.

Advice about Professional Hunting Guide training/education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife dealt with the same thing. She is severely ADD and dyslexic Very intelligent, just needed things presented in a different manner. She ended up graduating on the deans list after she quit being hard headed and received a little help. Now, it has been very hard for her to find a good company and manager to realize her potential and work with her. Sadly, most managers do not care or take the time to assess their employees strengths and weaknesses. It has been very frustrating for me to see how she gets treated because she may handle thigns differently than other but can outperform them any day of the week. After about 4 years I believe she has finally found a good place that appreciates the work she puts in for them. It is difficult just tell him not to give up

Comment

To get started in guiding without much experience or the right contacts will be tough on a good operation. They are normally staffed year to year by the same folks with a long waiting list. I would look at starting out as more of a ranch hand on a good operation and work your way into a better position. If he stays in school in San Angelo give me a shout I can probably find him a place to help out part time/weekends to start getting some experience.

**** Also my sister in law is an academic advisor at ASU and if you would like her contact she can probably help with resources at the school ****

Comment

Some good guide schools in the Rocky Mtn areas . We see adds in local papers looking for qualified guides. If he wants to work in the mountains he should attend one of the guide schools up here. Lots of ranchers also guide and hire for fall.
        He might also try to get on with TPW for some seasonal work, wildlife field work can be very rewarding and get a foot in the door for the future.
        Good luck.

Comment

I'd work to get him some help on his deficiencies. He quits now, he's not going back.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            I did it from 1986 - 2016 if you have questions please pm me a contact number
            Thank you, Pilar. PM sent.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Good evening:

Many thanks to all of you who responded. I appreciate your support, advice and guidance. My wife and daughter - his big sister - are going to put our heads together this weekend to develop a game plan to help him. I will ask him to read all of the responses to this thread.

Again, many thanks to all of you.

Updates to follow.

Best regards,

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X