Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over All The Time
Default 53 grain vamx effectiveness?

Does anybody have any extended ballistic perfomance experience with the .224 53 grain vmaxs? Reason i ask is i have recently started loading them in .223/556 they have a way higher BC than any thing in that weight range. I am getting great accuracy out of them even at 400-500 yards. Shot about 350 on prarie dogs and was very pleased. However, i hunt a lot of varmit tournaments and wondering if they will get the job done on bigger critters. So far i have shot two yotes and 1 pig all inside 100 with them and it put them down. But all were perfect heart/lung shots. What concerned me is nothing passed through even at close range and there was little to no blood. Any body killed a lot of yotes with them if so distances? How do they do on marginal shots ext.. worried they may be to explosive. But dang they fly straight
Muzzy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've shot coyotes with 50 grain v-max and I had good luck with them except on marginal hits. I've shot coyotes with 40,50,52,53 and 55 grain bullets of different types and brands in .223 and it's pretty much the same story for them all. My brother shoots 60 grain Sierra Varminter HP's and they're lethal. My favorite bullet is a Hornady 52gr. BTHP.

Those bullets will work fine but with anything .223 if they're running and you hit them,put another one in them. They'll stop long enough to do that. I've made the mistake of assuming a coyote was dead or dying only to have it get up and run after shooting them with a .223. I shoot until they're not moving. I've been down that road too many times.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Yea i was kinda worried about an unintentional marginal shot
Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
bowhunter2989
Ten Point

Can’t give you terminal info but I finally found a good .5-.75 moa load for my 22-250 using them. I haven’t had a chance to shoot anything with them yet though.
bowhunter2989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Yea i am getting .5 moa as well thats why i really like them so far
Old 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Sounds to me like they are doing exactly what a varmint bullet is supposed to do. Go in a couple inches and explode. I have been shooting a vmax out of my .204 for a few years now and havenít had any issues on coyotes or smaller sizes game with them. Mostly bang flops or only run a little before dying. If you want a pass through which I hate for a coyote gun will need to get a bullet designed for medium sizes game not varmints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Yea, I agree i am getting common varmit ammo results. Just wanna know how a bone or marginal shot may play out on a yote.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Out of any bullet I've shot a coyote with running straight away from me using a .223, I can't say I've ever had but maybe two or three that died without needing a follow up shot. That's not including coyotes I hit in the back of the head. Two I can think of were shot with 55gr. Sierra Blitzking and were hit in the middle of the back (spine) and the other was a coyote I hit with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP. Which also hit it in the back. When you're making shots like that there's a lot of intestines,stomach and whatnot to get through to hit anything vital. It's hard to get a one shot kill even with a 22-250 shooting them running straight away because you're most likely gonna hit guts or break a hip bone. Unless you hit them right in the back of the head.

A lot of times they'll drop then they'll get up and start turning around in circles when that happens if you don't get a headshot. That's normally enough time to get a better shot on them. I hit one with a 55gr. Softpoint last Winter and dropped him. He got on his feet and took off and fell just as I was about to squeeze the trigger. He fell on the other side of a small hill and I never saw him get up but apparently he did because all I ended up finding was a blood spot and a patch of fur where he was standing when I hit him. I hit him right in the shoulder and got a surface splash. If you can stay off the shoulder and make quick follow up shots if need be you'll do ok. Those V-Max have been known to do that too. I hit one in the head one time with a 50gr. V-Max and it blew up on its teeth. They're pretty thin jacketed bullets so bone ain't the best thing for them. I've hit coyotes in the shoulder with Hornady 52 and 53 grain BTHP's and knocked a dime sized hole on the other side so if you shoot some coyotes and end up not liking the performance you're getting out of the V-Max you might try some of those.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-22-2019 at 07:06 PM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Update: i have since killed 3 more coyotes with the 53vmaxs. One exited at 150 broadside behind the shoulder with a dime size exit, no big holes bang flop. The other was behind the shoulder same distance no exit or severe hide damage bang flop. Last one was facing me chest shot not quite centered, it was a bang flop but ended up requiring a follow up. No exit or real hide damage. Nothing has bleed externally a lot at all. However, all have dropped on impact. Its looking like they will work just fine.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
djs303
Spike

Hunt In: Texas

Vmax bullets are designed for hunting predators and I would be more worried about bullet failure at very close than at a distance. According to info I have read on them, they will have explosive expansion even at velocities around 1600 fps.
djs303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

That’s just about all I load for 233 they fly great and knock um down. I’ve shot hogs and deer with them usually it’s just a bang flop. I push them really hard with a full case of varget. I’m at about 3000fps out of a 16” barrel
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

I have killed hundreds of coyotes with 53 and 55gr Vmax out of my 223 and 22-250. If you hit them in the vitals, they will go down. Most of my shots were 25-100yds.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #13
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I shot an axis with one a few years back and the bullet hit perfectly on the mark. I had a tough time finding the deer and went several hundred yards. After recovering the animal the bullet did as designed, as it intended for small game. After examining the cavity and superficial wound, I noticed the only reason the deer died was the bone shrapnel tore up the vitals. The bullet never went more than 2-3 inches.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #14
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Doesn't get much better than a V-max on coyotes.

A marginal shot is a marginal shot though. Don't care what bullet you use.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
MLAH
Six Point

^
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

My 22-250 A-bolt Varmint Stalker(which now has the thumbhole eclipse stock) will shoot a dime out at 100 yds with factory loaded hornady in 50 gr. Shot lots of big hogs and a couple of deer, but you have to take neck shots or ear hole the pigs. I shot a smaller 100ish lb hog at 30 yds right behind the should and it just blew up on impact. Maybe hit the shoulder plate. Shot him in the butt as he was running away and blew a chunk out of it's ham, turned side ways and put another further back in the lungs and it dropped like a rock. I would stick to coyotes and small critters, and neck shoot bigger stuff, or move to a different bullet if you plan to hunt deer/hogs. It's really not made for big game......but if your a good shot and you have the time to make a well place shot.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #17
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Also shot a bobcat right in the chest and it only made a quarter sized hole. No exit.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #18
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I run the 55 vmax in my 22-250, it will not exit on big coons and up but makes the inside mush. I have killed many deer and pigs with lung shots, ive never had one make it more than 20 yards. If you put it on top of a pigs shoulder its a bang flop.
mrc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #19
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
I run the 55 vmax in my 22-250, it will not exit on big coons and up but makes the inside mush. I have killed many deer and pigs with lung shots, ive never had one make it more than 20 yards. If you put it on top of a pigs shoulder its a bang flop.
I think the moral of the story is, it will work, but you have to make a well placed shot. The shock of the that bullet exploding on that top of the shoulder shot, basically takes out the nervous system because the spine is right there. If you're going to take rushed shots, or a kid will be hunting with this load, I would opt for some made for big game. If you know how to shoot, and you know were to put it, and you don't mind waiting for the right shot, it works fine.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #20
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

My son and I have taken, I don't know how many deer, with my 308. All shots right behind the shoulder. Most were taken with Federal premium Nosler Ballistic tip 150 gr. A few with 150 gr core lokt. Not a single deer dropped. They all ran(not far). It's that static shock to the nervous system. I honestly was surprised that the Nosler Ballistic tip didn't drop them in the 308. But we were lung shooting them, and that heavier bullet(moving a little slower) I guess doesn't provide the static shock to the nervous system when it just punches through the boiler room. If we shot them high shoulder I'm sure they would drop, but we'd also ruin a lot of meat.