Educate me on synthetic plastic stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on synthetic plastic stocks

So been trying to read up, synthetic, fiberglass vs plastic and then of course wood. They play a part in sturdiness, accuracy, etc. I'm curious on a good plastic non aftermarket stock on a rifle that people have had a good run with. Same with fiberglass, wood. First and foremost plastic due to price. Not trying to make 1000 yrd shot. 400 max. Thoughts? Thanks

The 2 biggest pros that I've found with them is wood has a tendency to warp in climate change. So say you live in Midland, Tx where it's dry and hot in September. You get on a plane in Midland, land in Anchorage where it's cold and wet. The wood could warp putting pressure on your barrel and cause major accuracy issues. Plastic and synthetic won't do that.

The other is weight. Plastic and synthetic will usually be lighter than wood unless you go with the bulkier bench type stocks in which case synthetic may be much heavier.

McMillan, HS Precision, and Boyds all make pretty decent aftermarket stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
      The 2 biggest pros that I've found with them is wood has a tendency to warp in climate change. So say you live in Midland, Tx where it's dry and hot in September. You get on a plane in Midland, land in Anchorage where it's cold and wet. The wood could warp putting pressure on your barrel and cause major accuracy issues. Plastic and synthetic won't do that.

The other is weight. Plastic and synthetic will usually be lighter than wood unless you go with the bulkier bench type stocks in which case synthetic may be much heavier.

McMillan, HS Precision, and Boyds all make pretty decent aftermarket stocks.

Any issues with plastic vs. fiberglass. Any rifles that seem to have good factory plastic non fiberglass stocks?

Comment

Good info btw, thanks

Comment

A lot depends on how the stock is built, I've seen plastic stocks that were sturdier than a light fiberglass stock. All else being equal, chassis and fiberglass stocks will be the stiffest, followed by wood, and then plastic. Wood won't be an issue if you keep it dry and out of temperature extremes, laminates greatly reduce these effects. Since your trying to keep it cheap I would recommend a laminated wood stock or a aluminum reinforced plastic stock which run 150-200ish. You can also find used fiberglass stocks in this price range. My 1k rifle has a Choate Ultimate Varmint which is a plastic stock with a lot of aluminum and it's probably the stiffest stock I own but it's also the heaviest.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
            Any issues with plastic vs. fiberglass. Any rifles that seem to have good factory plastic non fiberglass stocks?

I don't have any experience with fiberglass unless I'm ignorant to it.

Browning makes a great stock on their factory rifles.

Comment

Check into Bell and Carlson stocks too. They have some really nice replacement stocks for most of the rifles today and have full length aluminum bedding blocks for $270.

Comment

I like short compact rifles and I am looking to get a Remington model 7 stainless in 7-08 and put it in one of the Bell and Carlson stocks to really dress it up.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Check into Bell and Carlson stocks too. They have some really nice replacement stocks for most of the rifles today and have full length aluminum bedding blocks for $270.

That's the other one I was trying to remember. Best bang for you buck imo but I'm not any kind of an expert.

Comment

I really like the feel of the Hogue rubber overmolded plastic stocks that come on a lot of factory rifles. However, they get a bad rap for being pilar bedded, too flexible and causing barrel contact. Which is true, they kinda suck in that regard.
                    One solution to that problem is to glass bed the factory stock. Lots of youtube vids on that. Second, you could purchase a factory upgraded, Hogue overmolded stock that already is fully aluminum block bedded. They have the look and feel of the factory stock with the accuracy potential of a full bedded stock. This is the route I took with my .223 Remmy 700 sps. Maybe not as accurate as a custom Mcmillan or Bell and Carlson, but for hunting ranges out to 400yds, it gets the job done. On the Hogue website they run close to $300, but you can find'em closer to $200 on other sites. Got mine in ghilly green from overstock.com and looks exactly like factory.

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post
                      I really like the feel of the Hogue rubber overmolded plastic stocks that come on a lot of factory rifles. However, they get a bad rap for being pilar bedded, too flexible and causing barrel contact. Which is true, they kinda suck in that regard.
                      One solution to that problem is to glass bed the factory stock. Lots of youtube vids on that. Second, you could purchase a factory upgraded, Hogue overmolded stock that already is fully aluminum block bedded. They have the look and feel of the factory stock with the accuracy potential of a full bedded stock. This is the route I took with my .223 Remmy 700 sps. Maybe not as accurate as a custom Mcmillan or Bell and Carlson, but for hunting ranges out to 400yds, it gets the job done. On the Hogue website they run close to $300, but you can find'em closer to $200 on other sites. Got mine in ghilly green from overstock.com and looks exactly like factory.
                      Same here. Especially for hunting, I love the Hogue overmolded stocks. While it's no accuracy stock, I've had no trouble shooting three touching holes with loads I've worked up.

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post

This is good to know I have been looking at Hogue, any that come stock on rifles u like? Thanks s

Comment

This is the one I went with on my rem .223sps tactical ... https://www.hogueinc.com/remington-7...-ghillie-green

The pic below shows my factory stock on the left and my new upgraded factory stock on the right...
                          Now, for my rem .308sps tactical, I went with a MagPul 700 hunter cause I wanted to push my shooting distance to the 800-1000yd range. Very stiff, accurate, modular and adjustable plus, was able to find it for less cost that the hogue($139 at universalmania). Best bang for your buck stock on a longer range rifle. ... but you lose the factory look...

Comment

Good info, thanks

Comment

I prefer synthetic over wood because it isn't sensitive to weather and moisture. However, I love the look of a beautiful wood stock. I recently built a custom rifle on a McMillan carbon fiber stock with pillars. The bedding block stocks are great because they provide the rigidity of a higher end stock material to a less expensive plastic stock. I'd look at Savage rifles with their "Accustock." I bought a Creedmoor for my wife several years ago and it shoots as well as most custom rifles. The stock is fantastic for the price but it still isn't quite as good as something like a Manners or a McMillan. For your stated purposes, though, it shoots even better than I'll bet you're expecting. That Savage will put 5 rounds inside a 2" circle at 400yds.

The other thing I like about Savage is the Accutrigger. For a stock trigger it's awfully nice. Of course I like the Jewell triggers I run in most of my rifles better, but I have no problem shooting my wife's rifle accurately and it's a whole lot cheaper than a Jewell. Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X