Orion charcoal smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orion charcoal smoker

A buddy of mine mentioned having one & loves it. Can smoke many things in less than 2 hours. Very easy to setup & keep going. Priced very well relative to other options. Any TBHers have one? Like it? Pros & cons?

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    A buddy of mine mentioned having one & loves it. Can smoke many things in less than 2 hours. Very easy to setup & keep going. Priced very well relative to other options. Any TBHers have one? Like it? Pros & cons?
    Ive got one. Its not really a smoker, more of a convection cooker, but it does cook really fast. You can add smoke chips around the bottom and get smoke flavor. Never tried a brisket, but I've cooked some butts and some ribs on it. They taste ok, but get no smoke ring or crust on the outside like a smoker. It traps in all the steam which is why it cooks so fast. This doesn't allow for any crust. It cooks a mean chicken or turkey. an hour and 15 minutes for a chicken, and about an hour 45 for a turkey. The skin will need to be crisped up in a broiler etc at the end though. I would like to know how hot it gets inside.

Comment

My buddy had one, and I loved the ribs that came off of it. Absolutely outstanding.

Comment

Wife's BIL has one, cooks a turkey on it the past few Thanksgivings.

Not what I would call "smoked" but better than one out of the oven and plenty juicy

Comment

Looking at a video I see it’s more of a cooker but the guy used smoking chips & looks to smoke fairly well. I have a master built electric that does okay & doesn’t really smoke much from the chips. I like the shorter cook times on ribs & chicken this Orion offers

Comment

I have an Orion cooker and love it. I've done ribs, chickens, pork butts and briskets. A Bluetooth temp probe helps a lot. I wish I could put a smoke ring on the briskets, but they still turned out quite tasty. Different kinds of wood chips around the drip pan on the inside make a difference. The meat comes out with a smoky flavor without being too overpowering. When this one wears out, I'll definitely be looking for another.

Comment

Working...
            X