South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Dakota

Im considering a hunt there for mulies/whitetails in the future. Anyone hunted public ground there? I killed a antelope 2 years ago near Belle Fouche with a outfitter, saw quite a few muleys. I have 14 points in Colorado but it takes 17 to draw 3rd season Rifle in unit I hunt in. I want a muley with my bow.

I'll be heading up there this year.

Comment

rifle tags are hard to get lately. I have archery antelope statring 15 Aug, and any deer archery starting Sept 1, pretty much guaranted an archery tag. Haven't drawn rifle in 3 years, mo muzzleloader either

Comment

I have killed several white tails in the black hills a long time ago. Fun place to hunt

Comment

I've been planning a trip up there for a few years. If archery hunting check the regs for non resident season dates. Last I checked non-residents had to start hunting later than residents, a month I believe. Could be just the specific area I was trying to hunt. Instead of taking my bow I started applying for rifle.

Comment

I believe resident and non resident archery for antelope and deer start at the same time. Nothing in the regs about seperate start dates. Only diffrence now is you also have to purchase a habitat stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmccartney View Post
              I believe resident and non resident archery for antelope and deer start at the same time. Nothing in the regs about seperate start dates. Only diffrence now is you also have to purchase a habitat stamp.
              I went back and looked. The specific change I read about is non-resident archery hunts on public land. Non Residents cannot begin hunting until October 1 unless on private land. Mentions it on the deer page. Not sure on antelope. Never done any research for that in SD.

At their June 2019 meeting in Pierre, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission approved 7-1 an amended proposal regarding nonresident archery hunting and access permits. This proposal included three major changes to the nonresident archery season and Unit 35L.

Change #1: Archery hunting for nonresident hunters will begin on October 1 for public lands and private land leased by the department. These private lands include Walk-In Area (WIA), Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP), Controlled Hunting Access Program (CHAP) and Cooperative Hunting Access Areas. Nonresident archery hunters will still be able to hunt on private lands starting September 1.

Change #2: An application deadline of April 1, was established for nonresident hunters, where any application received after that date the license will only be valid on private land, not including land leased by the department for hunting such as WIA, CREP and CHAP areas.
              The 2019 deadline was August 1, which only applied for the 2019 deer hunting season; beginning in 2020 and beyond the deadline will be April 1.
              This deadline does not preclude a nonresident from obtaining a license, but the license would only be valid for private land. A nonresident hunter checked hunting on public land with this license could be cited for a violation.

Comment

Yeah I only looked for antelope. I have seen some really nice mule deer while I was out yesterday
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tmccartney; 08-16-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Considering going as well but for birds... is that weird? I have a pheasant invite to south Dakota and I got permission is North Dakota as well... Just need to round up enough bird dogs to cover that country

Comment

I was stationed at Ellsworth from 03-06. I personally think it is a best kept secret for deer hunting. I hunting the black hills and the southwestern corner both archery and rifle. SD has to have some of the best walk in properties IMO.

Comment

Seems the youtube public land hunters have been all over North Dakota hunting. Looks to be good access out there if South Dakota fails for any of you guys

Comment

Working...
                      X