2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
    Most winners like the game they're playing, doesn't mean the game doesn't suck

I won this year.. I still think, er, know Texas is one of the worst draws in the country.. I'd probably take it over California and Maine.. That's about it.. That's when you know it's sad/pitiful, when you barely beat California

Has nothing to do with amount of apps or increasing number of hunters or limited public land.. Those are just excuses.. Has to do with BS system, period.. Current system is a pure money grab, plain and simple.. It's basically not a draw, just a raffle
    Yeah that’s all it is, system is screwed up for sure. People need to start contacting the state to try and get change implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
      Yeah that’s all it is, system is screwed up for sure. People need to start contacting the state to try and get change implemented.
      What kind of change should we be asking for, specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        If they put you in charge of the system and gave you the power to change it up however you see fit, what would the new system that you'd set up look like?
        3 choices per category (I think that's a fair compromise)

NRs require hunting license to apply OR increase individual app prices for them (example: $8 per app & $15 per private/guided give or take). The $5 change on Sheep alone (when the hunt is offered) should bring in an extra $50k

Preference Point only option for each category

Remove ridiculous credit card & administrative fees on draws, big time tickets, and online licenses

Increase apps to $5 from $3 and private/guided fees to $12 from $10. Should help offset 3 choices per category and not charging CC/admin fees

**I do love the 3 choices per category for Youth and Annual Permit required for E-postcards changes. A step in the right direction, they just need to keep it going...

***I don't mind the actual current draw system, 1 point per name in the hat. Some people want to square points like Montana. Either way is fine for me, but I do prefer the current system. I don't want a "max point" system. To me it just doesn't matter too much. As long as categories are limited and people actually have to make choices for where the want to hunt like they used to (and like every other state) I think the odds will help everyone. Low and high point holders..
        Last edited by Deers & Beers; 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          I am convinced the new system is weighted heavily to 1st time applicants, likely for exactly like you say they think it's great and will continue to apply. Can't count how many posts I've read here and 2cool where a 1st time applicant score 2 or 3 hints his 1st year.
          I put in for just about every category too but usually just one or two hunts per category, some guys are applying for 30+ hunts in the gun deer category for example and thats their perogative to do that, but it kills the odds. And when you have thousands applying preference points don't mean much.
          Last edited by bossbowman; 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
            Up until a few years ago you could only apply once for each category. Now you can apply to every hunt in every category.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Exactly, they put a cap on 3 hunts per category for the youth hunts this year because some parents were applying for all of them, and I mean every single hunt available.

Comment

Most winners like the game they're playing, doesn't mean the game doesn't suck

I won this year.. I still think, er, know Texas is one of the worst draws in the country.. I'd probably take it over California and Maine.. That's about it.. That's when you know it's sad/pitiful, when you barely beat California

Has nothing to do with amount of apps or increasing number of hunters or limited public land.. Those are just excuses.. Has to do with BS system, period.. Current system is a pure money grab, plain and simple.. It's basically not a draw, just a raffle
              Again sad but true...

Comment

3 choices per category

NRs require hunting license to apply OR increase individual app prices for them (example: $8 per app & $15 per private/guided give or take). The $5 change on Sheep alone (when the hunt is offered) should bring in an extra $50k

Preference Point only option for each category

Remove ridiculous credit card & administrative fees on draws, big time tickets, and online licenses

Increase apps to $5 from $3 and private/guided fees to $12 from $10. Should help offset 3 choices per category and not charging CC/admin fees

**I do love the 3 choices per category for Youth and Annual Permit required for E-postcards changes. A step in the right direction, they just need to keep it going...

***I don't mind the actual current draw system, 1 point per name in the hat. Some people want to square points like Montana. Either way is fine for me, I slightly prefer the current system. I don't want a "max point" system. To me it just doesn't matter too much. As long as categories are limited and people actually have to make choices for where the want to hunt like they used to (and like every other state) I think the odds will help everyone. Low and high point holders..
                While I would like it to go back the old way with one application per category but in a nutshell the 3 per category is a good compromise, up the application fee to make up for lost $$$. I would also require bowhunters to have completed an IBEP class before being issue an archery draw permit, I can't tell you how many WMA mangagers I've heard say how much the loathe the archery hunts on their place due to hunters taking long shots and wounding game on them. Too many archery drawn hunters end up being novice due to ease of application and feel they payed their money and are gonna shoot something. Another thing I would like is them to add a multiplier or square loyalty points to make them worth more, if an individual had been loyally applying to the draw for over 10 years they should be getting better preference.
                Last edited by bossbowman; 08-20-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  Exactly, they put a cap on 3 hunts per category for the youth hunts this year because some parents were applying for all of them, and I mean every single hunt available.
                  I'd suggest charging an application fee for youth hunts (current system is free therefore the temptation to apply for all hunts). Permits could still be free to "recruit the future of hunting"

I'd also suggest that youth be able to carry over their loyalty points to the adult hunts once they no longer qualify as youths in the system. My oldest son turned 17 with 9 loyalty points and lost them all (he started applying when he was 8). I have another son that was not selected this year and will be 16 next year with 8 points when he applies.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    What kind of change should we be asking for, specifically?
                    Seems 5 years ago or so, TPWD was considering multiplying points for long time applicants.

Maybe if they could put an exponential factor in the system. Say double points after 10 and then double again after every 5 (i.e. 15, 20, 25 etc) until drawn. Then they could really be called loyalty points.

I personally have 27 GDE points, 17 exotic points, 12 gun muley points (I haven't applied every year for the latter due to scheduled dates conflicts). Under the current system, I'm dreading having to decide to which child I would bequest my worthless loyalty points to in my will

Comment

With as little public land as TX has and as many hunters who want to go there the system really ain't that bad...

Sure as heck beats the alternative of paying thousands of dollars to go shoot petting zoo critters.

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                        i drew South Llano River SP exotics 10-30-18 never hunted axis before im pumped
                        I don't hope you shoot a bunch of them.....I hope you shoot ALL of them. Make more room for REAL deer.
                        I will admit though; they fry-up pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                          Seems 5 years ago or so, TPWD was considering multiplying points for long time applicants.

Maybe if they could put an exponential factor in the system. Say double points after 10 and then double again after every 5 (i.e. 15, 20, 25 etc) until drawn. Then they could really be called loyalty points.

I personally have 27 GDE points, 17 exotic points, 12 gun muley points (I haven't applied every year for the latter due to scheduled dates conflicts). Under the current system, I'm dreading having to decide to which child I would bequest my worthless loyalty points to in my will
                          And those 12 gun muley points are the max you could have because thats how many years ago they started that category. How many are in that same boat?, its the same deal for our group of 3, we all got 12 points for mule deer gun and probably will keep accruing them until we die. The mule deer hunts used to be under the gun deer management category.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                            I drew Antlerless/Spike at Kickapoo Caverns SP (12/17-12/19)…..first time to draw for me on anything.

Anyone ever hunted there before that wants to give me some feedback on what to expect? I have hunted just south of there quite a bit so guessing it is pretty similar terrain.

Thanks.
                            I got drawn for either sex for 10/8 - 10/12. I'll let you know what I find out. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Eberle View Post
                              My 12 y/o son drew the youth either-sex deer at Devils River. Does anyone have any advice for us?

Shane,

I sent you a pm on the other forum. I tried on here but don't have enough post yet!
                              Check out my photos taken in 2015, on the adult GDE hunt. I didn't shoot, but saw a lot of decent bucks. I was being very selective because I've seen a couple of GOOD bucks there.

Hoping to get drawn for that one again this year.
                              Good luck on your hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                                ‘Standby’ friends of the ones running the hunt got first and best priority to the spots.
                                Sounds like the standby "random drawing" at Richland Creek last fall.
                                "things that make you go, hmmm!"

Comment

Working...
                                X