What scope for $800-1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What scope for $800-1200

I’ve actually got a bnib Vortex Viper Hs-Lr scope ready for my new rifle but before I use it I wanted to see what y’all thought. It’s for long range hunting and I have crappy eyes (yes I have contacts but still)
    I can get a leupold mark 4 er/t 6.5-20x50
    Would you step into a vortex razor if you could get a used one? Is the vortex I have better than a leupold?
    I can’t seem to step up into the mark 5 because of price.
    Thought about a night force but the “lower end” is SFP
    Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you want to hit a bit below that price mark, I have a brand new VX3i LRP 6.5-20x50 that I would part ways with.

Comment

Well I want the absolute best for the money I have. I’ll do the research on the difference between the two but I’m sure everyone will say “you just have to look through them”. Issue with that is when I go to a store I can’t really see a huge difference. I can always see a difference between scopes when I’m on the range or out hunting but not really in the stores.

Comment

what really is the difference in a $1200 scope and a $200 one?

Gimmicks, clarity, options, etc.? I just never saw the need for a scope costing more than the rifle. Obviously I've never owned one so I really don't know.
        I have had some Redfields and Weavers that were lousy scopes though they were touted as some of the clearest.

Comment

My advice, pick whichever one you like and works best for you. I will say that all my scopes are under $200 and have never failed me. Taken a lot of deer+ other non game animals, with them. But I'm not shooting 500+ yards either.

Comment

I see a huge difference in my Nikon that cost me $800 from all of my other scopes but mainly in low light conditions and cold days. My scope won’t fog up under any conditions and I can see much more in early morning/late evening compared to other scopes.

That brings me to my point, I’m up there in the more expensive scopes for a good reason but I’ve bought a long range rifle and need to get a better piece of glass for it. I can’t afford $2k but I can still afford something nice for the rifle that will pull in light, needs to be able to track well for long range and take a beating as I use my rifles a lot.

Comment

Burris XTR II

They retail just under $1500 but look at opticsplanet.com. They are always running discounts.
              Last edited by bowhunter_2; 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                what really is the difference in a $1200 scope and a $200 one?

Gimmicks, clarity, options, etc.? I just never saw the need for a scope costing more than the rifle. Obviously I've never owned one so I really don't know.
                I have had some Redfields and Weavers that were lousy scopes though they were touted as some of the clearest.
                Shooting in daylight hours within 200 yds you’ll never know a difference. Extreme lowlight conditions and glass, coatings, and ability to gather light really standout. Shooting further and glass stands out with your ability to identify targets you may not have been able to with lesser glass, or count the points etc on a buck. Shooting further and you need either a good reticle to hold, or reliable turrets to dial with, it better yet both. Most people just need to shoot 100-200 yds tops, and that’s all they lll ever need. In that case just make sure the scope holds zero.

Comment

Another vote for Burris XTR II.

Comment

In the $800-1200 category glass shouldn’t be your most important feature if you truly want to LR hunt. Your turret, reticle, and reliability should be most sought after. In that price range you’ll have to sacrifice somewhat, and glass is the least important feature for your purposes. I’d look at Bushnell DMRII or LRTSi. I’d say the glass is still better than what 90% here is used to, but the turrets and reticles are extremely reliable.

Comment

The XTR II is a pretty decent option, but don’t consider paying over $800 for it. Regardless of reticle or mag range. They’re easy to find used from $550-800 right now, with the Horus reticles selling for the most money. The SCR reticle is an excellent option for LR hunting though, and the Mildot is pretty pathetic these days.

Comment

Ok so let me ask, what would you get? If I had to step up to $1500 what should I be looking at. We are talking 600 yard shots routinely during hunts and I’d like to do some range shooting out to 1000 yards. Trust me when I say I have the rifle and ammo to do it, when the rifle gets back from the precision shop I want to start training. I’ve never had a set up so nice and buy once cry once as far as I’m concerned. I even considered getting the NF that’s on here in the classifieds.

Comment

If your willing to go 2k on a NF, they are releasing NX8 line that is in that range mid summer.

Comment

Hmm. That might be an option. I’ve got a take off Nikon I could put on it that’ll get me to the 400 yard mark with my eyes. Just need some rings for it I guess.

Comment

My buddy is selling a used vortex razor HD 5-25x50 for $1100 model RZR-52005.

Comment

Working...
                              X