Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moments in time you’d like preserved forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moments in time you’d like preserved forever?

Before my dad’s health declined and he was still alive, we’d go crappie fishing together. We didn’t always finish our trips with a lot of fish, but the time together was well spent. One evening in particular we caught so many fish that we were tired. Threw the undersized crappie back. If the water moccasins hadn’t been so plentiful I would’ve just stayed put long after dark.

Another day I’d like to relive was the one when my dad, brother, & myself were all working together one chilly January day to finish burning brush piles on some lake property. The clouds cleared out and the sun made things rather pleasant. Dad wanted the wood ash for his garden. And he got plenty for it that day. We grabbed some burgers and fries at the nearest town for our lunches and sat down together to eat on the water’s edge of the lake.

Neither of your stories had the need for anything expensive or special, just regular moments with loved ones. That is what really makes them special and when those people are gone from your life they become that missing person in your memory.

Comment

My first deer. Savage model 99 in .250 savage. Dad and I were walking back to the house and stumbled on 4 does and a button buck. Two does took off left and the other two took off right. That little button froze. I was only 5 and couldnt mount the rifle from the ground so dad held both ends and I peered through the scope. Bang, flop dead

Another time dad and alone down in east matagorda bay duck hunting from the airboat. It was cold as I can remember and we slayed a limit of ducks in short order. Went back to the ramp stowed the ducks and grabbed fishin poles and a 1/2 pound of fresh dead shrimp. Went back to the edge of the bay and limited on reds before lunch.

I could go on for days

EPIC TIME

Comment

My dad carrying me on his shoulders wading through waist deep water in Lake Conroe to get to the tree where the dogs had treed a big boar coon that they had ran for over an hour.

Me and my buddies sitting around a coffee can diesel fire heating up MREs after the cease fire was called after Desert Storm. Glad we were alive. Happy to be headed home.

Being in the room when Jake, Jonathon, Josh, Jeffrey and Abigail were born.

Comment

I'd like to have back that 2 minutes this morning and make it 4

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

The day I shot my first quail. What, a quail? (?!) I know this site is pretty deer-centric but I was raised by a man who was an upland bird fanatic. My entire growing up years dad had a rotating crew of English pointers and Britannys. Pretty much every weekend during the season he was chasing quail or making trips to Kansas to hunt pheasant. I started tagging along as soon as I was old enough to keep up with his long strides along the overgrown fencerows and CRP fields. For a couple years I only carried my BB gun as my dad taught me gun safety – how to cross a fence, muzzle awareness, etc. . Oh how I dreamed about someday actually getting to hunt! Then at age 12 he bought me a Winchester single shot 20 gauge and chunked endless clays for me with a hand-thrower. I was pretty nervous the first time out with my “real gun” – on the first covey rise I tried to shoot without pulling the hammer back first. We went after the singles and it happened. A single bird flushed in front of the dog and gave me a crossing shot from right to left. I swung and fired in one motion and stood there in astonishment when there was a puff of feathers and that quail tumbled to the earth. My favorite dog – a Brit named Freck – retrieved it and started bringing it to my dad. He said “ no Freck, take it to John”. I squatted down and he put it right in my hand. The look on my dad’s face when he said “great shot, son!” is burned in my memory - 50 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
              I'd like to have back that 2 minutes this morning and make it 4
              That's what she said.

Comment

Any day before August 22nd 2018 when I was told (you have Pancreatic Cancer)...I worried too much about the small stuff then and didn't look around and enjoy all the little everyday things that make me happy now...
                ENJOY EVERY-SECOND OF YOUR LIFE LIKE I AM JUST NOW LEARNING TO DO!!!

A camping trip with my Dad when I was 12 (it was just me and him) on the backside of my Grandfathers old place
                Last edited by Eric Pence; 11-20-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

My son (14 yo at the time and nearly a big as me) were bow hunting the Hill Country near Llano. We were headed back to the truck when I heard him call out. He had looked down his backtrail at a deer running away and walked and fallen into a huge cactus pile. He was wearing tennis shoe style camo boots. He had so many stickers and cactus in his shins it looked like he was wearing hair pants and shoes. He couldn’t move. I had to carry him piggyback. At the truck it took us over an hour with tweezers just to get his boots off. I will never forget that trip. Lol

Comment

The last time I went fishing with my dad before he passed away. Can't even talk about it or the screen would get all blurry.

Comment

My dad and I made a trip up to Jackson Hole and then went on our first elk hunt in Idaho from there. He tagged a big bull elk and we had the best time. I'll never forget that trip.

Comment

Back in the day when my husband and 2 sons would go tent camping and hunt the national forest together. Pretty much roughed it for a few days. Loved it! Family time well spent! Great memories!

Comment

Watching my youngest play football is one. They had their bowl game two weeks ago and won 13-7. He ran for a 38 yard touchdown. The other was when they were backed up with the other team 1st and goal on the three yard line. They came out and threw a pass, my son had a 101 yard pick six, was unbelievable, never forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
                            Any day before August 22nd 2018 when I was told (you have Pancreatic Cancer)...I worried too much about the small stuff then and didn't look around and enjoy all the little everyday things that make me happy now...
                            ENJOY EVERY-SECOND OF YOUR LIFE LIKE I AM JUST NOW LEARNING TO DO!!!

A camping trip with my Dad when I was 12 (it was just me and him) on the backside of my Grandfathers old place
                            I hear ya. For a long time I was so heavy burdened with owning a small business and forgot to enjoy life. Then bad things happened to family members and that added more weight. Felt imprisoned by it all. Lost my joy for a bit.

Comment

My son is only 9, but he’s already getting pretty man’ish BO when he sweats a lot. Doc said he’s probably only a year or so from the onset of puberty. When I hear his completely naive innocence when he asks me questions or finds clearlt childish wonderment in something new, I wish he wouldn’t become a man so **** early.

Comment

Working...
                              X