Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell
Default lab prices

are yall payin $800-$1000 for registered labs?? i bought my last one 8 years ago (inflation i know) for $400.. anyways was just wondering what yall are payin.. would be a chocolate if that makes any difference..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
are yall payin $800-$1000 for registered labs?? i bought my last one 8 years ago (inflation i know) for $400.. anyways was just wondering what yall are payin.. would be a chocolate if that makes any difference..

Depends on bloodlines. I have a buddy that raises them. Get a few championships under your belt, and 1000$ is cheap.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Fooshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Here and There

I wouldn't pay that for a chocolate.

Fooshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
MarkV
Pope & Young

I paid $1k for my female. But her dad has 60+ master passes and 6 master national passes and lots of champions, including lean mac, on both sides.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Gclyde12
Four Point

Like others have said, all depends on the bloodlines
Gclyde12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default lab pirces

Paid 1000 for mine. Drove to Miami Oklahoma and picker her up from the retriever academy and Derek Randal. Both parents are akc master hunters and ukc grand master hunter retriever champions. Her daddy had 3 perfect passes three years in a row at master nationals as a 3 year old. Momma and daddy are guide dogs that pick up 30+ birds a day all season.

Sheís worth every penny! Huge difference when itís deeply bred and imbedded into their brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DapperDan; 02-10-2018 at 08:50 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Axis FMJ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City

I have a black English female. She was 1400. Great hunter and picture perfect square head.
Axis FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

good bloodline at least $800-$1000, if you need a trainer after you get a pup, look up jeff brown at dawg on it retrievers in taft,tx a great guy and great facilities,
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
2good2Btru
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooshman View Post

I wouldn’t be scared to pay that much if you get a chocolate out of a good pedigree. I have a pup from Maestro and he is the read deal when it comes to chocolates.
2good2Btru is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Maxlab
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooshman View Post

X2
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
BUCKSTAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Inside the 40 Acres

One Lab
Black Lab
BUCKSTAR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

I wouldn’t worry about the initial cost because that will be just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost if you have the dog for 10 years.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #13
triple_duece
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana, Midwest

I wouldnít pay that much money for a dog. 95% of dogs are capable of being a champion. Itís the owner that makes or breaks them.

Iím more concerned about it being full blooded, the standard size and temperament. Remember to check out the parents for the things you are looking for in a puppy. Rabbits donít make squirrels and typically your going to get that size of the dog and temperament along w physical features from the parents. How many ribbons it wins.... weíll thatís up to the owner in most cases.
triple_duece is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
I wouldnít worry about the initial cost because that will be just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost if you have the dog for 10 years.
..... a lot of truth here lol
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I am fixing to be in the market. I don’t know what my limit will be. Probably going English for size. I have owned 13 labs and the best one was a gift out of parents that were both pets and had never worked a day in there life. Worst one was out of working parents and he just didn’t have it. Only lab I have ever seen that had no retrieving instinct. He was the best pet and my wife’s favorite. I look at parents for size and the obvious health issues. I think it is more about the amount of time you or a trainer spend with them. IMO
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
IAFFHunter18
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_duece View Post
I wouldnít pay that much money for a dog. 95% of dogs are capable of being a champion. Itís the owner that makes or breaks them.

Iím more concerned about it being full blooded, the standard size and temperament. Remember to check out the parents for the things you are looking for in a puppy. Rabbits donít make squirrels and typically your going to get that size of the dog and temperament along w physical features from the parents. How many ribbons it wins.... weíll thatís up to the owner in most cases.
I would agree here..... Picked up a chocolate from a guy that had no hunting background. Probably one of the quickest learners and top 3 best retrievers Ive owned. Would take a pup out of him any day.
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
I wouldnít worry about the initial cost because that will be just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost if you have the dog for 10 years.
This. Do the math on what a dog will cost you in vet, food and equipment bills over a 10+ year life span (not even considering if you are going to send them to a trainer) and a few hundred dollars more up front is a drop in the bucket. The extra money for a dog from a good litter should up your odds on getting a good dog and should be from dogs that have had their hips checked and come with a hip guarantee.
Muygrande is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis FMJ View Post
I have a black English female. She was 1400. Great hunter and picture perfect square head.
Same here but we got a male. This is the first lab we paid a lot for and boy what a difference good bloodlines make. He is only 6 months old but he is a pure pleasure to be around. Very calm, doesn't chew everything up, no digging, very well mannered. Love the English labs!
ColinR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

I just want another Choc lab , she will never hunt birds maybe blood trail . I just want one without health issues and good hips .
I don't mind paying just don't want to pay for a pedigree that I won't use.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
I just want another Choc lab , she will never hunt birds maybe blood trail . I just want one without health issues and good hips .
I don't mind paying just don't want to pay for a pedigree that I won't use.

I'd think you could find Choc pups for $400 or less if you looked around and bloodline wasn't a big deal. Or consider giving a Lab Rescue place a look for a younger pup you could train up to do what you'd like and give a good home.

I've never gone the high dollar bloodline route and have had some awesome dogs. They were with me everyday back when I was younger and I trained them all myself along with some guys who trained for field trials for a living. Point being, you don't need a high-powered pedigree to get a great working dog. Especially if you won't be doing trials or bird hunting much. I loved my chocolate, but my best dog was a little 55# black female that was a cracker jack dog and would fetch beer out of the cooler for me. Loved that trick
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
I'd think you could find Choc pups for $400 or less if you looked around and bloodline wasn't a big deal. Or consider giving a Lab Rescue place a look for a younger pup you could train up to do what you'd like and give a good home.

I've never gone the high dollar bloodline route and have had some awesome dogs. They were with me everyday back when I was younger and I trained them all myself along with some guys who trained for field trials for a living. Point being, you don't need a high-powered pedigree to get a great working dog. Especially if you won't be doing trials or bird hunting much. I loved my chocolate, but my best dog was a little 55# black female that was a cracker jack dog and would fetch beer out of the cooler for me. Loved that trick
My last one we paid 450 and she was the best dog I've ever had.

BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top