Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by
Default Question for TBH Marines

So some guy is saying he was in the Marines, in Iraq. Says he was on active duty for 6 years, and now is in the Reserves for 6 years. Says he's not going back to the middle east, he's "done with all that."

What questions or "red flags" would tell whether or not he was actually in the Marines, WITHOUT him suspecting why you are interested? Maybe asking where he was in boot (San Diego/Parris Island)?
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible.

That's a good question. You can also ask him about a few famous Marines like Lt. General Chesty Puller, Gunnery Sgt Carlos Hatcock, John a Lejune, or Dan Daley and see what he comes up with. Could also ask when he went to Iraq, what unit he was in, what was his MOS, and where he was in Iraq.

These may get you something if all else fails, I'd ask him what is the name of his reserve unit and where is his HQ. Only army has six year enlistments. Marines have four unless they changed something in the last ten years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haas0311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

The above is a good start but I was in the USAF and know who all but Daley are, had to look that one up. I've read both of Hathcocks books. We also had the option of a 6 year enlistment when joining, I thought all branches had that option....

If you continue to ask him similar questions from time to time, you'll catch him if lying.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Just tell him the navy is better and the Marines are for girls. If he gets crossed eyed and takes a deep breath, you'll know
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Me and Sally
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas and ???????????

Ask ............ What was your M.O.S.
Me and Sally is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017
Default Question for TBH Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
So some guy is saying he was in the Marines, in Iraq. Says he was on active duty for 6 years, and now is in the Reserves for 6 years. Says he's not going back to the middle east, he's "done with all that."

What questions or "red flags" would tell whether or not he was actually in the Marines, WITHOUT him suspecting why you are interested? Maybe asking where he was in boot (San Diego/Parris Island)?

Or ask if he was made in Hollywood Or Paradise Island :-)
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
scjeeptx
Ten Point

Ask him what go-fasters or a moonbeam is.
scjeeptx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've never been in the military but I have ran across a few obvious liars that tell stories about secret missions and doing hand to hand combat with the enemy. One guy even tried to tell me he was in the Air Force and did secret missions with SEALS and Rangers and all this stuff. If it were me I'd act like a complete idiot and come up with off the wall questions about maybe doing secret missions and things like that if you really think he's lying. If he thinks he can fool you his lies will probably get bigger and that will give him away. Just asking him where he went to basic training is hit or miss. If he lives through tall tales of going to war he might have done some research so he might actually know all of that stuff. I'd make him think I didn't know anything about the military.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-14-2016 at 08:42 AM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
reconman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere, Anytime

The above are good questions. Out of curiosity, what caused you to think he is lying?
reconman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
El Forajido
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any Tree stand in Texas ✭

Ask him to you show you some moves on you
El Forajido is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

If he isn't talking about boot camp, he wasn't in the Marines. ALL Marines talk about boot camp...
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
jp74
Four Point

Ask him about his drill instructors. It has been 20yrs since my eas, and I remember their names, rank, and home state of all four. Most marines do I think. Keep in mind also that any questions you ask that are not common knowledge, will probably arouse suspicion on his part, if this matters to you. Also, you probably already know this, but go fasters are running shoes, and moonbeam is a flashlight, just so you know what context to use them in. Hope this helps, and if he someone you call friend, I hope you find him to be telling the truth.
jp74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
Corn Sack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cherokee and Nolan counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I've never been in the military but I have ran across a few obvious liars that tell stories about secret missions and doing hand to hand combat with the enemy. One guy even tried to tell me he was in the Air Force and did secret missions with SEALS and Rangers and all this stuff. If it were me I'd act like a complete idiot and come up with off the wall questions about maybe doing secret missions and things like that if you really think he's lying. If he thinks he can fool you his lies will probably get bigger and that will give him away. Just asking him where he went to basic training is hit or miss. If he lives through tall tales of going to war he might have done some research so he might actually know all of that stuff. I'd make him think I didn't know anything about the military.
I'm not saying the guy you talked to was telling the truth, but it is very common to have Air Force personnel attached to special ops groups. My until had three AF personnel attached to us. The Air Force has plenty of high speed guys, they just get pimped out to other units.
Corn Sack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Sack View Post
I'm not saying the guy you talked to was telling the truth, but it is very common to have Air Force personnel attached to special ops groups. My until had three AF personnel attached to us. The Air Force has plenty of high speed guys, they just get pimped out to other units.
That could be but he started off by saying that then he said "Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone that so that's between us." I'm nobody to him but obviously he thinks I'm pretty important to tell me about top secret missions. He was basically tying in other branches of the military into his stories. They were weird to say the least. He said he was Airborne....whatever that means. Most of the stories he told seemed like he took bits and pieces out of movies I've seen.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Fcasthtr
Four Point

Quote:
That could be but he started off by saying that then he said "Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone that so that's between us." I'm nobody to him but obviously he thinks I'm pretty important to tell me about top secret missions. He was basically tying in other branches of the military into his stories. They were weird to say the least. He said he was Airborne....whatever that means. Most of the stories he told seemed like he took bits and pieces out of movies I've seen.

What corn sack said is correct. And Air Force can also be airborne along with every other branch of the military. But it would be weird with him saying that he did all this stuff and wasn't allowed to tell anyone but was telling you, that's about the only red flag I got from it

Fcasthtr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
Fcasthtr
Four Point

Quote:

And airborne is the guys who jump out of perfectly good airplanes lol

Fcasthtr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post

I would say you should hire me and pay me a big fee to find out the information you seek.

Other than that, why care about it? People will stories until the end of time, Fact and Fiction.

DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Quanah11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Sack View Post
Same here I've had some USAF dudes attached to me when we were on PSD.
Quanah11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
Corn Sack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cherokee and Nolan counties

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're right. Anyone who's says, "I'm not supposed to talk about this, but" and then tell you anyway is full of it. Some guys know just enough to sound legit, others have a close friend or relative who was the real deal and they tell their stories like it was their own.
Corn Sack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I roomed with an Air Force 2LT who was going through IOBC (Infantry Officer Basic Course) with me in 1979. It was some sort of experiment that they were trying and that 2LT wasn't happy to be there. He was 33 years old and had graduated from AF OTS after years of Enlisted service.

He wasn't very happy to have a room mate so after two weeks he got a room at Olsen hall with all of the West Point grads. I had a private room at Wilkins for the rest of the course, so I was happy. He didn't like being in Light track so he managed to get transferred to the Mech track.

We had Forward Air Controllers attached at the Bn level but hardly ever saw them at the Company level. Usually it was comical when they were (we are going THROUGH a swamp?).

There are Army schools that I went through that had a lot of Marines, some SEALS, but after IOBC, i never saw any AF personnel.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Quote:
Could probably tell you if that one was lying or not..... A few jobs in the AF get to do and go through all the high speed training just so they can be attached to any SOF unit.

As to the "Marine" lying, just get him to tell you about it. And in a couple weeks ask some questions see if his story changes.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Just tell him the navy is better and the Marines are for girls. If he gets crossed eyed and takes a deep breath, you'll know
Yea, they really hate, hearing the truth
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top