Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.
Default Leveling Kit Help

Ok I am looking for a leveling kit for a 2016 F150 supercrew 4x4. There is a 2.75" difference between the front and back from the ground to the fender directly above the tire 36.75" in the front and 39.5". I am seeing the front end spacers/strut extension kits at 2", 2.25", 2.5" and 3". 3" would be to much so I was thinking one of the other ones. I am leaning petty hard towards the 2.25" kit but I am not sure which one would achieve the most level look? Any advice from the GS would be appreciated.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

I put a 3/1 kit on my Tundra. It has a 2 inch rake( I believe that's the term) so now it's level. I'm sure there's one that'll fit you truck. Also put some Firestone Ride Rite air bags on it. Love the combo.
Look at Autoanything.com. They have a good selection at great prices.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Cjh94
Spike

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas

I used Bilstein 5100 series when I leveled out my Silverado. They are ride height adjustable so you can get it perfect and they can return to stock height. Itís better than running a spacer in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cjh94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
pblaetz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCoy TX

Go 2 or 2.25. If you tow or carry any weight in the bed you want to keep some rake to it. If you want more, install the 3 inch then add a block to the rear to get it where you want it. I ended up with Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks that at the highest setting raised it 2 inches in the front. Stiffened the ride though. I also added a block in the rear to get more rake so it sits perfect with my trailer hooked up.
pblaetz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

I went with the Bilstein system and made the front up 2". Mine is '18 F150 S.C. RWD. Sits with a slight rake normally but levels well when pulling a trailer.

DO NOT FORGET TO ADJUST THE HEADLIGHTS!!!!
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
Ok I am looking for a leveling kit for a 2016 F150 supercrew 4x4. There is a 2.75" difference between the front and back from the ground to the fender directly above the tire 36.75" in the front and 39.5". I am seeing the front end spacers/strut extension kits at 2", 2.25", 2.5" and 3". 3" would be to much so I was thinking one of the other ones. I am leaning petty hard towards the 2.25" kit but I am not sure which one would achieve the most level look? Any advice from the GS would be appreciated.
Go with the Kardashian 5hocker kit.....3 in the front, 2 in the rear.

Change your screen-name too
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjh94 View Post
I used Bilstein 5100 series when I leveled out my Silverado. They are ride height adjustable so you can get it perfect and they can return to stock height. Itís better than running a spacer in my opinion.

2nd this. I did the same on my silverado. Improved the ride as well as leveled it. I replaced front and back!!
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

did it, don't do it
Leon County Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Cjh94
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
did it, don't do it

Looking back, I wouldíve never installed a leveling kit nor my 3.5 lift though. Iím 24 and 5í11Ē with a bad back and Iím already over climbing into my truck.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I went with the Bilstein system and made the front up 2". Mine is '18 F150 S.C. RWD. Sits with a slight rake normally but levels well when pulling a trailer.

DO NOT FORGET TO ADJUST THE HEADLIGHTS!!!!
True ! I had a kit on my 2012 and ERRYBODY flashed their lights at me. When I had them on bright, I was coon hunting.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Looking back, I wouldíve never installed a leveling kit nor my 3.5 lift though. Iím 24 and 5í11Ē with a bad back and Iím already over climbing into my truck.

Yes, I get flashes high beams all the time and it doesnít handle nearly as well either. Feels loose on the turns.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
Cjh94
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
Yes, I get flashes high beams all the time and it doesnít handle nearly as well either. Feels loose on the turns.

Did you angle your headlights down? I had to angle mine down a bit but Iíll still get flashed.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Bilstien 5100ís or 6112ís are the way to go for the front end.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Did you angle your headlights down? I had to angle mine down a bit but Iíll still get flashed.

Do you drive a f150?
No, everything I read and looked at says my model doesnít adjust and I thought they were crazy
Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #15
muddyz
Six Point

Rancho Quick list is another shock replacement option and works like the Bilsteins. Mine 2009 sits 1/2” lower in the front and looks perfect.

Last edited by muddyz; 05-20-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Spelling don’t kount
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #16
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

I have been looking up those Bilstien 5100 shock leveling kits and those look pretty sweet. Do the regular spacers/strut extension kits really make the ride any different? I have read up on them and it seems like a 60/40 split 60% say no and the 40% say a tad rougher ride.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #17
Cjh94
Spike

Quote:
I have been looking up those Bilstien 5100 shock leveling kits and those look pretty sweet. Do the regular spacers/strut extension kits really make the ride any different? I have read up on them and it seems like a 60/40 split 60% say no and the 40% say a tad rougher ride.

Iíve never used strut spacers on a level but my roommate has and it rides rough. Rather spend the extra money and go with a good name. I still run my bilsteins with my suspension lift

Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #18
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

You are going to loose ride with spacers, all you are doing is increasing the preload on the factory coil. It might give you the desired optics but for those that want a good ride as well the coil overs are the way to go. If you go with a quality shock like a Bilstein it will more than likely ride better than new/OEM in spite of the lift. Getting ready to install a set of 6112ís on the front with 5100ís and the 2Ē Icon on the rear on the 4Runner. Iím going to do it myself and itís only going to set me back a grand.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I ran spacers (2 inch) on my 08 F150 and did NOT have a rougher ride nor did it handle different. Very pleased with them and had about 100k on them til I sold the truck (engine problems).

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 AM   #20
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I had Bilstein 5100s put on my f150 last week. Maxed out at 2.25,Ē I canít tell a difference in ride quality from stock.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #21
aac_shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Do the Bilstein leveling 5100 series shocks. Ride will not change.
aac_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #22
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Does mpg change?
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #23
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
If I were you, I would measure where the bends in the body panels are at the back of the front wheel, and front of the rear wheel. Otherwise you will lift the front wheel arch to match the rear wheel arch, making those level, but the body panel lines will make it look like your truck sits higher in front than in back.

And adjust your headlights.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #24
TxBobcat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria, Kimble counties

Quote:

This
TxBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #25
HUNTNETIME
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Does mpg change?
My MPG on my '15 Duramax went down by 1-2MPG with leveling kit and bigger tires. Stock were 265/70/18's I think. Put 295/70/18's on as well. I'm pretty sure everyone loses a little fuel efficiency when modifying their trucks in this way.
HUNTNETIME is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

thanks for the input guys
Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #27
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

just put bilstein 5100 shocks.
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #28
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
You are going to loose ride with spacers, all you are doing is increasing the preload on the factory coil.
Please explain this. You're not adding any weight, so you're not changing anything on the spring, you're only changing the "mounting point" of the spring and making the truck sit a bit higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
If I were you, I would measure where the bends in the body panels are at the back of the front wheel, and front of the rear wheel. Otherwise you will lift the front wheel arch to match the rear wheel arch, making those level, but the body panel lines will make it look like your truck sits higher in front than in back.
This.
Most front wheel wells are taller than the rear. To prove this, run a string along the bottom of the truck and measure from the string to the bottom of the fender.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #29
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Please explain this. You're not adding any weight, so you're not changing anything on the spring, you're only changing the "mounting point" of the spring and making the truck sit a bit higher.

This.
Most front wheel wells are taller than the rear. To prove this, run a string along the bottom of the truck and measure from the string to the bottom of the fender.
I can tell you on mine it changed the ride quality and handling greatly. It changes the angles on everything suspension related. I wouldn't do it again personally. It looked great when finished but was too "loose" in curves and much rougher ride. (2015 F150 SCREW FX4 with 2" level on front)
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
I can tell you on mine it changed the ride quality and handling greatly. It changes the angles on everything suspension related. I wouldn't do it again personally. It looked great when finished but was too "loose" in curves and much rougher ride. (2015 F150 SCREW FX4 with 2" level on front)
Did you have and alignment job done on it after the leveling kit went on?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #31
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Did you have and alignment job done on it after the leveling kit went on?
Yes sir.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #32
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
This is what I e experienced also. I think it just has more lean because itís higher than it was designed for. I love the extra clearance but Iím more cautious on turns at higher speeds than I had to be before.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #33
Gambler2200
Spike

Hunt In: Medina & Wilson

We sell nothing but Ready Lift products at my shop and they are honestly the best. There kit is a 2.25" part# 66-2215. I have heard many people complain about rough ride after a leveling kit. My experience has been that 80% of the ride quality change comes from the tires that are added after a leveling kit. Your factory highway tires that come on it are not 10 ply and not run above 55 psi like the all terrain or mud terrain tires you are putting on it. Also the factory tires are only 10" wide as the aftermarket ones you will probably get are 12". Tis makes a difference because now you have an additional 8" of rubber touching the road picking up more ruts, holes and other vibrations the roads might throw at you.
Gambler2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #34
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler2200 View Post
We sell nothing but Ready Lift products at my shop and they are honestly the best. There kit is a 2.25" part# 66-2215. I have heard many people complain about rough ride after a leveling kit. My experience has been that 80% of the ride quality change comes from the tires that are added after a leveling kit. Your factory highway tires that come on it are not 10 ply and not run above 55 psi like the all terrain or mud terrain tires you are putting on it. Also the factory tires are only 10" wide as the aftermarket ones you will probably get are 12". Tis makes a difference because now you have an additional 8" of rubber touching the road picking up more ruts, holes and other vibrations the roads might throw at you.
My wheels and tires were factory. Bigger tires will definitely make a difference too though.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #35
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Not to mention most aftermarket wheels have a huge offset relative to factory, which puts the wheel further out from the hub, increasing unsprung weight (And wear on wheel bearings), which will make the truck feel loose.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #36
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Anytime you change the suspension on ANY vehicle, you can't expect it to ride and perform like it did before the modifications.

People need to understand that the truck will not be the same, after a lift ... no matter how expensive of parts you use. It's not the same and never will be.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #37
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
I was looking at putting new tires on it before long but just the same size tires on it as the factory tires probably Discoverer ATPs. After following WItoTX advice on the measuring points I have about a 2.5" rake. I had just been looking at the leveling kits spacers or strut extensions. After people on here mentioned the Bilstein 5100s I have been looking into those as well and I have a gearhead buddy that is pushing me towards those also. I figure 2-2.25" would be perfect which I could get with the Bilstein 5100s or spacer/strut extension. I can get either put in around here, with the spacer/strut extension for $275-$585 out the door and the Bilstein 5100s just front struts not rear replacements for $450 out the door. There are quite a few places that keep the polyurethane spacers instock and kind push towards those over other stuff. I have read a few articles and the polyurethane spacers and they seem durable and seem to reduce squeaks and what not but most people seem to prefer metal. I am just wanting to get the best bang for my buck and accomplish a level look trying to keep ride, mpg, and price in mind.

Last edited by DuramaxDude; 05-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #38
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

ttt
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #39
Grand Passage
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & South TX

I had the Bilstein 5100s on my 2010 and was not exactly happy. Highway performance was good, but they rode almost uncomfortably stiff on potholes and washboards roads. I didnít even have them on their highest setting. That truck went through a lot of ball joints and front end components.

I bought a strut spacer for my F-150 to raise the front 1.5Ē (want some rake for towing and hauling). I havenít worked up the courage to install despite having bought it 8 months ago.

Strut spacers will decrease the downward travel of the suspension.

Grand Passage is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 PM   #40
Grand Passage
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Passage View Post
I had the Bilstein 5100s on my 2010 and was not exactly happy. Highway performance was good, but they rode almost uncomfortably stiff on potholes and washboards roads. I didnít even have them on their highest setting. That truck went through a lot of ball joints and front end components.

I bought a strut spacer for my F-150 to raise the front 1.5Ē (want some rake for towing and hauling). I havenít worked up the courage to install despite having bought it 8 months ago.

Strut spacers will decrease the downward travel of the suspension.

Had the spacers installed on my truck yesterday and it looks the way a 4x4 should have come from the factory. Handles identical to stock, and very pleased so far.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #41
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Passage View Post
Had the spacers installed on my truck yesterday and it looks the way a 4x4 should have come from the factory. Handles identical to stock, and very pleased so far.

Cool deal!!! What height were the spacers and what brand?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #42
Grand Passage
Six Point

I bought the Auto Spring spacer kit. It is the brand that a majority of the guys on F150Forum are using. The spacer I bought is for 1.5Ē of lift, so the spacer itself is only about 1Ē thick.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #43
BW412
Eight Point

I have the 2” autospring in the front and 2.5” block in the back. Had it on my last f150 as well. I’ve been very happy with mine and will put it on my next one as well. Very little if any difference in the ride quality. Make sure you get an alignment.
BW412 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top