No announcement yet.

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the tree wrestling, we finally got to the plot prep. I had previously disced lime in this plot so I just ran the almost straight disc over it a couple times to loosen up what little vegetation was there. This spot is not ideal for a plot, since it was an old logging set and had most of the topsoil pushed off at some point. It's been planted in wheat once, and last fall had a bumper crop of goatweeds so at least it's had a little organic matter turned under. I decided on buckwheat this spring in order to make some more organic matter hopefully. It will be planted to wheat and/or rye this fall.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      [ATTACH]955465[/ATTACH]

I have sunflowers and Sunn hemp about 12-14 inches tall now, the peas are about 10 inches tall. After the recent rains, the plots are really taking off and the deer are fat.
      Much different from last year Jeff, at least so far. Looking good !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Much different from last year Jeff, at least so far. Looking good !
        I have got a bunch of dove weed showing, and some johnson grass. I kinda hope the peas get thick and vine out and choke some of it out. We got more rain coming this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          [ATTACH]955465[/ATTACH]

I have sunflowers and Sunn hemp about 12-14 inches tall now, the peas are about 10 inches tall. After the recent rains, the plots are really taking off and the deer are fat.
          That’s looking real good!

Comment

My hay bottoms over at camp have good stand of clover in them, so I don’t think I’m going to do anything over there until fall. No sense in turning it under just to plant something else. Deer and turkeys should be fat and happy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24579225Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	24579226

Planted about 5 acres yesterday with a buddy. A summer mix with a bunch of black eyed peas, okra and Sunn hemp mixed in. Should hit the rain just right.

I have a few plots around the house already you I need to get some progress pics of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Plowed

Planted

Growing

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Great looking plots!

Comment

[ATTACH]956027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]956028[/ATTACH]

Deer are really hitting plots now, you can see in the first picture how they are stripping the leaves off of the peas . I have some volunteer sorghum coming up from last year too.

The second picture shows how they are thinning it out, they stay bedded at the edge of the plots and graze like cows off and on during the day.
                      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I planted last weekend and made a run up today to check on things. Coming along quickly. I’ve got cell cams out on the field now and I’ll watch it grow from the house for a few weeks.

Comment

Looks like you got some pretty heavy rain there Logan. I can the pics better on my iPad than I could on my phone, I don't see much grass in there yet, and that's a good thing. It might take the deer a while to figure out that it's good to eat, and that's a good thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Looks like you got some pretty heavy rain there Logan. I can the pics better on my iPad than I could on my phone, I don't see much grass in there yet, and that's a good thing. It might take the deer a while to figure out that it's good to eat, and that's a good thing too.

Lots and lots of rain. Being it is a on a slope, I’ve got some run off, but looks like most of the seed stayed where it needed to. I think they’ve been testing the waters according to the tracks out there. I left at 5 this afternoon and had a visitor shortly after.

Comment

Great thread

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Radar they are hitting your plots good.

Comment

Working...
                                X