Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
catslayer
Pope & Young

Default Learn Guitar?

Hey anybody tried yousician? I play rythm but wanting to learn some lead... Curious if anybody tried it and what they thought
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
catslayer
Pope & Young

Guess I get to Guinea pig it
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
scjeeptx
Ten Point

I have not tried them. Do you already know some stuff and are just wanting to expand to lead?
scjeeptx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
sandhillhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor County, TX and New Mexico

I tried it for a couple of months along side taking actual lessons.

I think it is helpful for learning the fretboard fingering techniques and picking. I didnít keep up with it long enough to tell how much Iíd learn long term. That was a couple of years ago.

Iím still taking in-person lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandhillhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Hammerdown15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Warren, Tx

I tried it for piano. If you already have some fundamentals or can already play, you may find it too slow to be enjoyable. You cannot skip ahead, or at least I couldn’t.
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Hawkpuppy 1
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

There are a ton of people you can subscribe to on YouTube that do all types of lessons
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
catslayer
Pope & Young

YouTube "lessons" I've seen have been terrible...
I am a decent rythm player but I'm wanting to learn more theory and some lead/fretboard stuff...

I think I'm gona bail on myoutdoortv and subscribe to this instead
Old 04-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

I'm in a similar situation as you.
But, I take private lessons once a week and spend a lot of time on youtube.
Not familiar with yousician.

Let us know how it goes.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

How much does it cost and can multiple people use it? Like if I'm advanced and want to work on lead stuff, can my boys log on and start from the beginning?
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

I saw one called Guitar Tricks that looked interesting. Not really wanting to spend $20 a month though.
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

If you can pick out 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' then you are playing by ear. Just practice repeating it on different areas of the neck. You're then set to repeat what you like to hear.
Following that is getting a copy of Pentatonic scales which will teach you the art of finger memory and assist you in picking out what you want to hear.
Google A minor/ C major Pentatonic and see if you can come up with a chart to print.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

tag
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
If you can pick out 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' then you are playing by ear. Just practice repeating it on different areas of the neck. You're then set to repeat what you like to hear.
Following that is getting a copy of Pentatonic scales which will teach you the art of finger memory and assist you in picking out what you want to hear.
Google A minor/ C major Pentatonic and see if you can come up with a chart to print.

Yep, Bill. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn how to play guitar. There were no instructors in my home town though. The internet didn't exist. But I had the most advance technology of the day - a cassette player with a pause button. I'd listen to a few notes of a song at a time, hit pause, and eventually find all the notes on the fretboard. I'd slowly piece the song together that way. I had no other options. But it turned out to be a great skill to develop. The more songs I learned by ear, the easier it got to learn new songs. I began to recognize chord progressions and patterns on the fretboard that were common among multiple songs. Years later, I learned some theory and found out those were called scales.

We're playing some music Thursday night this week. My son is an awesome player, way better than I'll ever be. But I needed to learn the 2nd guitar lead in Soulshine (Allman Brothers) so we can play that together. I used the pause button on YouTube this afternoon and figured it out. Just took an hour or less to get it fairly well figured out. I'm not a great lead player, but it'll work.

Last edited by Shane; 04-09-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Yep, Bill. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn how to play guitar. There were no instructors in my home town though. The internet didn't exist. But I had the most advance technology of the day - a cassette player with a pause button. I'd listen to a few notes of a song at a time, hit pause, and eventually find all the notes on the fretboard. I'd slowly piece the song together that way. I had no other options. But it turned out to be a great skill to develop. The more songs I learned by ear, the easier it got to learn new songs. I began to recognize chord progressions and patterns on the fretboard that were common among multiple songs. Years later, I learned some theory and found out those were called scales.

We're playing some music Thursday night this week. My son is an awesome player, way better than I'll ever be. But I needed to learn the 2nd guitar lead in Soulshine (Allman Brothers) so we can play that together. I used the pause button on YouTube this afternoon and figured it out. Just took an hour or less to get it fairly well figured out. I'm not a great lead player, but it'll work.

Soulshine - YouTube
Don't forget the pinkie!
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #15
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Don't forget the pinkie!
I'm using it in there a few times. Just not moving it a lot, so it's hard to tell.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top