Teacher Pay raises, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heath View Post
    What gets me is the terrible insurance they get offered. If the pay isn’t going to be great, make sure they have great low cost insurance.

My wife’s a middle school teacher. I vote yes.
    Yep, my wife's a Kindergarten teacher and the insurance is crap. Probably opt out next renewal and look elsewhere. any raise she got this year was eatin up by the insurance going up, and she pays $500+ a month for her and our daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      The legislature is trying to give teachers a pay raise for this coming year, but the bis being presented by the Senate and House are far apart. The Senate wants an across the board $5000 raise for teachers and librarians. The House is proposing less than $2000 across the board with most money going to the districts to dole out as they see fit (most teachers will not see any of that money given to the districts IMHO).

I know some on here will say we do not need a pay raise because of all the time we have off during the year (yea right!), but the pay raises we get from year to year are down right sorry. My pay raise this year was $200 as will next year's raise!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the Legislature is saying the average salary for a Texas school teacher is over $53,000 per year. In this district and we are not all that small, a teacher would have to teach 22 years to reach the $53,000 level, 22 YEARS!

I personally want the across the board $5000 raise and believe we have earned it and I firmly believe that any "extra" money given for raises to a district, we will never see a penny of that. While we get these whopping $200 raises each year on average, some at our Central office enjoyed a $5000 to $20,000 pay raise!

OK my rant is over as I have to get ready for the 16 kids in my unit that ALL have behaviors problems. Suprisingly, I have yet to be bloodied working with these kids YET! A big change from the previous 8 years where I was bloodied multiple times during the year.

Have a great day TBH'ers!
      Yes, 100% on all points you make.

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
      Well I work for a private computer company and have not had a raise in 2 years so your $200 last year is way better then mine. I am on the fence on this one. My middle daughter is a teacher. I paid for her college and when she wanted to be a teacher I talked to her about the fact that she would always be underpaid. I made sure she knew what she was getting into when it started. In my lifetime teachers have always been on the short end when it comes to pay but I think everyone should have known that going in. The summer break is a big deal as if the fact that you can pretty much find jobs anywhere...i.e. not tied to the big city. I am not sure what my daughters currently makes. She is 3 years out of college. Probably makes around $35,000 and works 10 minutes from their place in Brownsboro. While I am sure she would love the money she does not have it bad off when you look at the total picture.
      -john
      Starting off pay is reasonable for the points you mention. But in order to keep good teachers around they need to find ways to pay good teachers more..and a lot more to put up with all the BS.

It's absurd how the school system works. One can literally get hired as a teacher and then it's impossible to get fired..We've seen it all from just lazy teachers to drunk teachers (drinking spiked coffee).

It's also absurd how much money pours into each school system as shown by the long property tax threads on TBH yet most of the money is squandered, blown, or given to admin... Then they say if the public thinks teachers need raises they need to raise taxes.

And compared to all other State, Federal or taxpayer funded employees teachers have the worst pay, health care and retirement of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I'd vote for $10,000...

same....

Comment

I don't know the details on teachers pay, the ones I know are doing it because they enjoy it and left high paying jobs to teach. However I do believe all should at least get a COLA (cost of living adjustment) that should be 2.5 to 3% each year.

Comment

The legislature approves the raise — what is next? Will they come across with the same monies next year, and the next? If not , the districts are not going to retreat on the salaries so where will the money come from? Where? Taxes will go up to cover it as I don’t see any belt-tightening in our school board personality.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
              Huge YES!! If the money gets funneled back to the school it will get wasted on something stupid. Maybe changing a school name or just put it in the Pearson account for the text books that are worthless and that are rarely used...
              Grrrr. I'm sure there are no kickbacks and under the table deals going on

So obvious it's stupid...But yet nothing is ever done?

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
              I’d say most teachers deserve a raise but an across the board I dunno, I understand giving it to the district and them not doling it out, but shouldn’t You get a raise based on merits not just because? I didn’t get a raise this year and I work in a hospital saving people lives and keeping them alive, most years we get 3% based on all the extra crap we do outside of normal work day. Teachers should get raises based on performance not just handing out free money because you signed up for a job knowing the pay scale then changing your mind.
              Yes, it should be based on merit. But it's simply not..at all. You show up, you get paid "x" unless you get fired which is near impossible. Same for raises.

System is totally broke.

Comment

No... Don't want a raise for them

Want restructuring of the education system so that we pay teachers enough to make it worth the time for actually talented teachers to get paid more and that the overall quality of education is improved.

I'm sure your a great teacher OP. But I have seen a tremendous number of bad teachers, many from my own generation who stuck with what they knew instead of striking out taking a chance and finding out what they are good at.

I have NO desire to support bad teachers, that said, the way it is handled now and what teachers are paid is laughable

Comment

Yes, teachers deserve far more than they get. Some teachers see kids more than their own parents do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd rather see teachers paid more than another $50M+ stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I'd vote for $10,000...
                      I would also...[emoji106]...with very defined goals of academic achievement in place! It is not the teachers, it appears to be the bloated and slow antiquated systems in public schools. A better model is a must in the 21st century.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
                        I’d say most teachers deserve a raise but an across the board I dunno, I understand giving it to the district and them not doling it out, but shouldn’t You get a raise based on merits not just because? I didn’t get a raise this year and I work in a hospital saving people lives and keeping them alive, most years we get 3% based on all the extra crap we do outside of normal work day. Teachers should get raises based on performance not just handing out free money because you signed up for a job knowing the pay scale then changing your mind.
                        This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Comment

I can agree that teachers are underpaid. I’d love for you to get a $5,000 raise.

However if someone goes to work for a large company starting at $35,000 and they get 1%-2% raises each year they aren’t getting that much and that doesn’t reflect not getting a raise. I think there are other professions as well where people provide services to our kids and are grossly underpaid.

I hope It works out for you and everyone else!!

Comment

My wife teaches 4th. So I vote yes

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              I would also...[emoji106]...with very defined goals of academic achievement in place! It is not the teachers, it appears to be the bloated and slow antiquated systems in public schools. A better model is a must in the 21st century.

This state ****** away enough money on non-essential BS to turn our education system into a model for the rest of the country. No state is better equipped to do it, and it embarrasses me that we havn't yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

Agree with the 10k Dale M submits and this.

Comment

Working...
                                X