Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County
Default Today I became a better archer...

Let me start off by saying that I understand my thread title is a little ambitious. But, I'll explain. I tend to be verbose, so bear with me.

For the past year or so, I've really been struggling with any kind of consistency with my shooting. Granted, I haven't shot nearly as much as I need to in order to be 'really good' or 'money' or whatever the kids say nowadays, but it's been more than that - I just can't group. I've swapped bows, gone from wrist to thumb release, and changed up point weight and my arrows. I posted a while back on getting my bow tuned up at CCR - they got me started. Since then I've been doing my best to get practice in as much as I can. But, I just wasn't bringing a group at 20/25 any smaller than a grapefruit. And, on any given shot I wasn't making the same error. I'd punch my release, I'd let my bow arm drop early, I wasn't looking through my peep correctly - all kinds of dumb stuff. Worst of all, I think, there were shots where I would say, 'ok that was a good one,' as soon as I let it fly...and it was definitely not a good one.

So, I ended up working from home today. On my 'lunch break' I decided to go out and shoot some sticks in my backyard, right? No worries, I just wanted the reps since my gym is at my office. During the morning hours I had been listening to one of the MeatEater podcasts and Rinella said something really interesting about target panic. Long story short, he basically said he only had to remember one thing for a lot of things to fall into place. I took that lesson outside today and promptly shot all over the target.

Super.

Well, I kept at it and at some point, for some reason, i said to myself - out loud - 'Elbow back.' To me, it meant, pull my release-arm elbow tighter around the back side of my head. When I did, all of a sudden my comfort level at full draw went waaaaay up. The next four arrows I shot were in a baseball sized group just a hair under my point of aim. I felt good about that. Then I did it again with the next four. My third group after this epiphany had one flyer and I knew as soon as I let it go what the problem was and where the arrow was going - and I was right.

It was a great feeling and now I have a little more confidence going into more practice for the season. Never really understood the whole 'pre shot sequence' or anything like that. Now I think I get it.

Anyone else have this kind of revelation before?

-LaS.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Awesome! Keep practicing perfect form. No sense in practicing wrong. Sounds like you figured that out.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Pulling through your shot v. Punching always equals better grouping
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Nock2It with a large thumb trigger from ex-okie solved it for me. Iíll say the koolaid taste good and recommend everyone try a two finger thumb trigger or even a silverback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Also to anyone suffering from target panic, Iíd recommend not firing your bow for a week. Just draw back and focus on aiming as long as possible. I normally do this before I start shooting and it always helps me focus.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Highway - Yeah I think the thumb release is where I need to be. I get a consistent anchor point with it and I've never had that before. Wondering if the one I'm using is a little off for my grip, but it still helps (I use a truball fang 3).
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
Highway - Yeah I think the thumb release is where I need to be. I get a consistent anchor point with it and I've never had that before. Wondering if the one I'm using is a little off for my grip, but it still helps (I use a truball fang 3).

Iíd go by your local archery shop and try out a Wise Choice. Thatís the first one I had. Or buy a nock2it and try it out. Easy to resell and get your money back. I love the two finger grip and my anchor point is rock solid. Planning on buying a silverback soon. Heard that really teaches you to pull through shots.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Also to anyone suffering from target panic, Iíd recommend not firing your bow for a week. Just draw back and focus on aiming as long as possible. I normally do this before I start shooting and it always helps me focus.

I think this is a good idea for me. I haven't got the muscle memory back from taking too much time off shooting and when I started trying to tune today I was seeing some weird results.
Now I'm forced to not shoot because my rest broke so I think I'll just practice form for a while.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I think this is a good idea for me. I haven't got the muscle memory back from taking too much time off shooting and when I started trying to tune today I was seeing some weird results.

Now I'm forced to not shoot because my rest broke so I think I'll just practice form for a while.

Itíll pay dividends when you put the new rest on. Try just drawing back and aiming 20-30 times before you ever fire a shot.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
Japeatr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sterling City/Mason TX

im pretty consistent but was looking into the draw arm brace thingy whatever to help improve. basically another anchor point for my left arm.
Japeatr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top