Brace height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brace height?

Is there a set brace height you should have on your recurve? I have a bear grizzly and super kodiak. I draw 31" on compound which usually requires at least a 7" brace height. What should my recurve be set at or does it even matter?

Most bows will have a "recommended range" for brace height. You start somewhere in the middle of that range then you can start experimenting - raising and lowering a little at a time - until you get the quietest shot. Keep in mind brace height is also a component of tuning - the best brace height will change depending on your arrows - weight, spine etc

Comment

For my kodiak mag, bear recommends 7-8"

Comment

Do a search on Tradgang, real good for Bear brace heights.

Comment

Thanks for info all

Comment

My Super Kodiak's sweet spot is right at 8 1/4".

Comment

Brace height?

I've got four longbows and a recurve hanging on the wall in the living room and everyone of them has a different sweet spot on brace height. They all range from about 7 inches two 8 5/8 once I find it I right it down so I always know where the sweet spot is on that bow

Comment

Good info to know, thanks for the recommendation Ron ill try it. That would explain why my grizzly is so loud compared to my kodiak. Both have about the same noise dampening in them but the grizzly is twice as loud.

Comment

Depends on the length of the bow...a 60" bow will take a brace height around 7-1/2" and a 62" bow is around 7-3/4"...these are approx but a good starting point....my 62" I have it right at 8" and my 60" is at 7-1/2"....

Comment

A bowyers recomendation is just a starting point. You can make it as high or low as you want. However too low will cause noise problems especially with take downs. Adjusting the brace hight is part of bow tuning along with plate adjustment and nock point location. The higher the brace the more spine is required in your arrows. The lower, less spine. So bear in mind, changes in brace hight will have an effect on your arrows flight.

Comment

I checked my kodiak and it was about 6 1/2. I got it up to 7 1/4 but seems like the string is going to "over twist" if that is possible. Seems to be a little quiter and stiffer but I would like to get it closer to 8. Is it possible to over twist a string? How do you know and would I just have to get a shorter string to get where I want?

Comment

Your string is probably too long. Recurve strings, just as for longbows are 3" shorter than the AMO length of the bow. There are some who believe it's 4". It's not 4" and never has been 4". 3" shorter is the proper length for a string. Over twisting a string to make brace is a sure sign of a string that's too long. Here's a clue; all bows are built to even numbers, 64", 62", 60" and so on. Strings are all odd numbered; 61", 59", 57" respectfully. Get yourself the correct string and you'll have no problems. Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X