stacking arrows today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stacking arrows today

I was shooting a couple of my bows today while I was watching the girls and for deer in our field while they were picking corn from the fields. I would of loved to be in the woods will they was picking corn but I had to stay home today. I guess I went this morning but had to be home early and did not see crap. So I was shooting the bows. I have been shooting my #46 recurve which is like 40 years old and still shoots good. I have been shooting this one lately cause the weather has been crappy and made my should sore. I pulled out my Toelke recurve(one piece) which is #57. I was putting on a clinic today. I was just on it. I was going to start shooting at anything and everything cause I knew I was going to hit it. My girls were picking things out in my big bale to shoot at and I was nailing it. Drawing with out pain and hitting right were you want to is one of the best feelings. That #57 hits with a whole different kind of authority than the #46, but either one is quite forgiving on your release. Atleast they were today.
    I was also watching deer before last sun, I saw a buck that I missed killing by litterally 2 inches walking in the field cady corner from my house. I guess that made me feel better than how I was shooting today. Even though I didn't kill the animal, it was obvious that I did not mortally wound the animal either, he did not even have much a limp, very slight. Hell I think he was just gettin' his pimp stride on across the corn field. I am sure he said something like, "It ain't easy being this pretty". What some guys will do to impress the ladies.

Chris Kiefner

P.S.

Maybe I will get him tomorrow, I put out some Trails End #307 in my dripper at around 2pm, he will be around in the morning, almost guarantee it!

good luck and good shooting.

Comment

Just got a Toelke Whip longbow about 1 1/2 weeks ago and i'm sure liking it. Looks good and shoots even better than it looks.

Comment

impossible, you would be a world class shooter if you shot that good,ha,ha,ha. What is the specs. on your Whip. I have one of those also. Mine is Zebrawood limbs, Bocote riser. It is 56@27 3/4, shoots high 180's with 550 grain arrow with little sound and viery little handshock(I do not feel any, but I am sure there has to be some, somewhere). I have you ever shot one of his recurves, wow. Those are quick, almost as quiet, could make it just as quiet with just a little velcro in the string grooves, but hell, I haven't even messed with it, that's how loud it is. I think we should have a Toelke bow club somewhere.

Chris Kiefner

Comment

I was shooting today,between hunting. I was shooting good again today. One of my friends was over today I shot an arrow and he happen to be walking away to go to his truck and when the arrow hit the bale he turned and said, you just shoot an arrow. He watched while I shot another one, this time he was farther away and said, ****, I swear I can only hear it hit the bale from here. First he was about 30 ft. away but his truck was about 60 yards away. I could understand if he did not hear the one when he was by his truck. He just got this one Damon Howatt that is 55lbs.@28 and is only like 56-54 inches, it was sweet. Still would trade my Toelke for it but still it was sweet. He also had a #61 Grooves, it was pretty smooth to draw with very light amount of handshock. I stacked arrows with it also. The only one that I didn't stack arrows today was with his Browning Wasp. It is a really short bow, I get to much pinch at my draw length to get real good accuracy out of it, but it is quiet and compact, you should see it up in a treestand. Thanks for everyones time.

Chris Kiefner

Comment

Keep us posted on the hunting.

Comment

It's 62" 50 @29" Zircote riser ,bamboo cores w/black limba veneers on the limbs. I've got some nice longbows ( Massie, Morrison Shawnee Dakota, and a Griffin) and i'm liking the Whip better than any of those.

Comment

I will post again after I go this afternoon, did not see anything this morning. That sound sweet bowquiever, do you have any pic?

Comment

I saw only two deer today, one being chased by dogs, hard not to shoot them. We have entirly to many stray and running loose dogs around my house. I did not see anything this afternoon. That is two evenings in a row that I have not seen any deer which is very odd. I have to work the next two night then I will be off four days(I took two days vacation this week), then if I do not get anything I might have to pull out the other one shooter(muzzleloader). The real problem is not seeing them but being close enough to them. I have seen plenty of them just most have been 30+ yards, and I have messed up a couple times as well. Been the worst season I have had since I started bow hunting period. This is my first year that I am just using Trad. gear while bow hunting. I do not know if I will use the archery gear during our firearm season which opens the 18th of this month. I guess we will have to see.

Chris Kiefner

Comment

you have to go with what brings you the most pleasure BUT any deer you shoot with a gun is a deer you will never kill with your bow.

Comment

Good luck to ya Chris,whatever you use.

Comment

Sorry no pics. Dan has several pics of that combination on his website. If i don't change ny mind about it i'm gonna order another one 5#s heavier with a bowbolt TD. Of course i'd have to sell a few other bows first. I'm always searching for that one magic bow.

Comment

thanks stikshooter, did you go out this weekend like you was suppose too?

Comment

Went out this first thing today, saw nothing, I guess the deer did not want to get wet either I guess. I wish they would of told me that first before I dragged my unhappy !@# out of bed. Yesterday I found out what it smells like to be about 2 ft. from a 150 inch deer. Well I smelled like !@#$ afterwards. I couldn't smell him. I about got the big one yestreday. I was like I said no kidding 2 ft from him, I had a fence then briar bushes between the two of us. About 30 mins later, he was back under my stand. I was close to this "trophy"size deer again with no available shot. I could not wait to come home to tell my wife. She said and still no deer. She just doesn't get it. Not to say the story would not of been better if I would of killed something but still had a good rush. Big boddied and racked deer. I am very sure he is pushing 300 live weight,which is not uncommon for around here but realisticly speaking, most 2 1/2-4 1/2 bucks will generally go around 200+. Well the 2 1/2 may be any where from 145-200lbs. Less than that we consider it malnutritioned animal, it would proubly be showing ribbs which would be very nasty during the late fall and winter time when it the temp drops to the teens or lower. Like I told someone earlier though, we do not score them on how much they weigh, not to say we do not like to see them and kill them!

Comment

Working...
                            X