How long can seed last on soil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    Well, hoping they last more than 10 days as there looks like some decent rain in the forecast next Monday and Tuesday.
    Me too, I planted Friday and Saturday, the countdown is on

Comment

Dust in oats and mud in wheat.

Comment

Never have seen any army worms that I know of on my property.
        You are lucky.

Last year I planted at the end of September, by the end of October I had to replant about 1/2(4 acres) of my plot. About like pizzing in the wind, wasted bout 400.00 in seed alone.

Comment

Well ****, I can't catch a break. Had a cool front moving in overnight with 60% chance of rain that in the hourly forecast was to start around 8-9pm tonight. After church and errands, I busted a move out to my land to throw out what seed I had left thinking that I would get it in before the rain.
          As the day went along, the forecast kept decreasing the rain percentages and when it would hit.
          By the time I left my place, the weather app showed the rain breaking up just before getting to me. Checking the radar now and I may have recieved a spit of rain, if that down there.
          Next hope is Friday, which shows an 80% chance of rain. I'll believe it when I see it, even though October is the one of the wettest months.

Comment

Well ****, I can't catch a break. Had a cool front moving in overnight with 60% chance of rain that in the hourly forecast was to start around 8-9pm tonight. After church and errands, I busted a move out to my land to throw out what seed I had left thinking that I would get it in before the rain.
            As the day went along, the forecast kept decreasing the rain percentages and when it would hit.
            By the time I left my place, the weather app showed the rain breaking up just before getting to me. Checking the radar now and I may have recieved a spit of rain, if that down there.
            Next hope is Friday, which shows an 80% chance of rain. I'll believe it when I see it, even though October is the one of the wettest months.
            Same here

Comment

I have learned the hardway in the past I ain't touching mine til I get a good 1" at least.

Comment

Made a trip to pick up the tractor before the rain overnight and checked on the food plot.
                Looks like the little spit of rain last Friday and morning dew has got things growing. Still a bunch of seed needing the rain tonight to germinate but it was a nice surprise to see the clover and some rye coming up.

Comment

Looks like a good start. I threw seed out on sunday and the usgs rain gage says 1.25" since then so I should be good to go..

Comment

We still have had zero rain in months I hoping and praying tonight is the night.

Comment

I planted about 6 acres of wheat in very dry soil on Sunday the 6th. We'll see what happens there was rain in the 7 day that never happened now no rain in the 10day and I planted 10 days ago. It's not looking very promising this year...ugh

Comment

We go 3.5" of rain and now I can't plow still. Got moisture and more expected Thursday night. Needed the rain but now need just a small window to get out there to plow and plant.

Comment

Well I didn't get an exact "how long will seed last in the soil" as I over seeded the original planting a couple of times, but got some good growth with the recent rains.
                          One thing odd is the bare patches in some areas. The actual main area, in the middle of the field, there isn't much growth. It got the same amount of seed, same dragging and same rainfall so not sure what the difference there is. I'll check on it again this weekend to see if it is just behind the other growth.

Comment

Well I didn't get an exact "how long will seed last in the soil" as I over seeded the original planting a couple of times, but got some good growth with the recent rains.
                            One thing odd is the bare patches in some areas. The actual main area, in the middle of the field, there isn't much growth. It got the same amount of seed, same dragging and same rainfall so not sure what the difference there is. I'll check on it again this weekend to see if it is just behind the other growth.
                            Thats becuase there is no exact answer. Too many variables about seed type, weather, moisture etc.

Comment

Well, it seems that those "blank spots" were just behind as it is all coming out now with good growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X