Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #51
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Obama was referring to the importance of standing up for and protecting the rights of all immigrants who have become U.S. citizens, and someone altered the wording of the passage to give it a different meaning.
But he specifically called out just 2.

Arabs and Paki's.

"All immigrants" wasnt a phase used one time in the paragraph in question.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #52
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
But he specifically called out just 2.

Arabs and Paki's.

"All immigrants" wasnt a phase used one time in the paragraph in question.
In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.

Keep going ...
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #53
batmaninja
Ten Point

Nah. Mine statement is factual, no need to keep going. You made the statement, that isnt true.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #54
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
This probably seals the fate of the Kurds. Probably our best and toughest allies in the region.
I listened to a segment on 950am earlier about this situation. They were explaining how this is not the Iraqi type Kurds we befriended years ago. These are Sunni and radical. I am not saying they did not help since they do not like Turks and the Syrian dictator. But, they are opposite from the ones we are accustom to.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #55
Clay C
Ten Point

Just because they have fought with some of our soldiers doesn't make them good guys or worthy of our help. These Kurds aren't Pro-freedom, American loving, Harley riding libertarians that just want to be left alone. They are hardlined islamic communists who have a history of murdering and oppressing Christians and other groups in the region for not bowing to their way of life.

Most of these groups crying for us to help them fight brutal regimes just want us to help them become the brutal regime. The issues over there are old and deep and aren't worth any more American lives.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #56
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

We were illegally in Syria to begin with. Bring our troops home. The Middle East will never stop fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #57
Clay C
Ten Point

Another thing people need to think about. Why in the world is it solely OUR responsibility to be there, stabilizing the region when there are plenty of wealthy NATO members much closer with a much higher stake in the game? The people who are most upset by this are the freeloaders, neocons and slime balls like Lindsey Graham who is so alarmed by "abandoning" the Kurds right now that he forgot he argued against helping them in the first place under the last administration due to them being a terrorist organization.

Last edited by Clay C; 10-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #58
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

The Kurds are some fighting sons of B. Reading their history has gained a little respect. Even in Syria there are large populations is Christian Kurds. They live right along side the Muslim kurds. No problem and it’s been that way for a long time.

At any rate, this won’t be the first time we’ve backed out of a fight with them. If this was actual values at stake we’d live up to our word. That’s what men do.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #59
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
At any rate, this won’t be the first time we’ve backed out of a fight with them. If this was actual values at stake we’d live up to our word. That’s what men do.
You ain't lyin

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/07/...rump-betrayal/

To quote it on why Trump bailed: "the most likely explanation: (d) Trump is president of the United States. Nothing in this world is certain except death, taxes, and America betraying the Kurds."
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #60
batmaninja
Ten Point

How do you get betrayed 8 times (in a life and death situation like war), and not do some self reflection?

As far as I am aware Donald didnt make them any promises. The Dems trying to act like Donny isnt holding to his red line in the sand is absolutely laughable.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #61
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

Call me whatever you want. I am **** tired of American troops dying in the Middle East. They have fought each other since TIME BEGAN and we cannot change that.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #62
PlanoDano
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
Call me whatever you want. I am **** tired of American troops dying in the Middle East. They have fought each other since TIME BEGAN and we cannot change that.
Then you don't support the new deployment of "thousands of troops" to Saudi Arabia.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #63
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
Then you don't support the new deployment of "thousands of troops" to Saudi Arabia.
I don’t. Deploy all the troops you want on OUR BORDERS & SCREW THE MUSLIMS.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #64
TMain
Four Point

Hunt In: Travis County

The result of pulling out our troops, besides abandoning an Allie who defeated ISIS, has strengthened the Russians (who are now in our military bases), the Syrians and Assad's Iranians. A minimal force of 1,000 US military supported the Kurds fighting ISIS and kept the Turks, Syria, Iran and Russia in check in the region. With our presence gone, our Kurdish allies and families are being killed, our allies are questioning our commitments and the region is in chaos. So who of you really think this is good for the United States of America?
TMain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #65
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMain View Post
A minimal force of 1,000 US military supported the Kurds fighting ISIS and kept the Turks, Syria, Iran and Russia in check in the region.
I dont think this has happened, ever.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #66
TMain
Four Point

Hunt In: Travis County

You are correct. We had a great strategy with a win-win solution. Not so much now.
TMain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #67
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMain View Post
The result of pulling out our troops, besides abandoning an Allie who defeated ISIS, has strengthened the Russians (who are now in our military bases), the Syrians and Assad's Iranians. A minimal force of 1,000 US military supported the Kurds fighting ISIS and kept the Turks, Syria, Iran and Russia in check in the region. With our presence gone, our Kurdish allies and families are being killed, our allies are questioning our commitments and the region is in chaos. So who of you really think this is good for the United States of America?

Me. We aren’t world police. The way Trump pulled out was reckless, but I find it more reckless to occupy the Middle East forever with no plan of leaving. At some point we have to leave and bring our troops home. American citizens do not get to choose how this happens.

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #68
Charles
Pope & Young

ISIS isn't defeated IMO. They have sleeper cells scattered across the globe just waiting for their next act of evil.

Not a fan of they way our troops were pulled out of Syria.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #69
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
ISIS isn't defeated IMO. They have sleeper cells scattered across the globe just waiting for their next act of evil.

Not a fan of they way our troops were pulled out of Syria.
I couldn't agree more. We are going to fight this fight one way or another.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #70
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
Really not a fair question. Iran attacked and is interfering with the worlds oil supply. Some higher up in our military thinks an escalation in these attacks is inevitable, and the USA is going to have address Iran. I think it’s been inevitable for a long time.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #71
Rcole1310
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brackettville,TX

Quote:
The Kurds are some fighting sons of B. Reading their history has gained a little respect. Even in Syria there are large populations is Christian Kurds. They live right along side the Muslim kurds. No problem and it’s been that way for a long time.

You’re correct sir. I helped some injured Christian Kurds during Desert Storm. I hope America never has to get in a ground war with them because those folks would be more then a handful to deal with. So for all you guys saying “screw the muslims”, a LOT of the folks we just turned our back on are believers. And virtually none of the Turks are Christians.

Rcole1310 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #72
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcole1310 View Post
You’re correct sir. I helped some injured Christian Kurds during Desert Storm. I hope America never has to get in a ground war with them because those folks would be more then a handful to deal with. So for all you guys saying “screw the muslims”, a LOT of the folks we just turned our back on are believers. And virtually none of the Turks are Christians.

From what I have read and heard, the "Kurds" in Iraq and the Kurds in Syria are vastly different groups... Lots of Christian Kurds in Kurdistan in Iraq. The Syrian Kurds are mostly Muslim and a radical group...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #73
batmaninja
Ten Point

I am kind of with Slick. But I think the Muslim Kurds are the more tolerant of the Muslims in the region. The fact remains that area is splintered along so many ethic, religious, and tribal sects that it is hard to figure out who the "good guys" are.

To they guys that want us to stay there. At what point do you bring troops home, what is the objective/mission/finish line?

"The KRG admits that its religious tolerance stems from a long history of suffering at the hands of “Islamic brothers.” Both their suffering, as well as their rich history have made Kurds particularly welcoming of other religions. The Kurdish people are not Arabs, but rather historically identify with the Medes, an ancient people described in the Bible"

“This decision is a result of our Kurdish history,” says Mariwan Naquishbandi, spokesman for the KRG’s Ministry of Religious Affairs. “Kurdish Islam is not the Islam of Saudi Arabia or Iran. We have often been made to suffer by those who were our Islamic brothers. It has made us more tolerant, more able to see the good that other religions offer to Kurdish society.”

Last edited by batmaninja; Today at 02:28 PM.