Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Keg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone county
Default Anyone shoot a 450 bushmaster AR?

Iím thinking bout getting one..but donít know much about the caliber or setup..?
Keg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I do, or at least I have. I haven’t shot it much in the past few years, but it’s a hog slammer. I just like my 6.8s better for hog killing. The ammo is kind of expensive too. Mine is a Bushmaster and the ballistics paired well with a Nikon shotgun scope with the BDC reticle. Plenty accurate enough for hog killing up to a couple hundred yards.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
BUCKSTAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Inside the 40 Acres

Look at the 458 SOCOM
BUCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I do, or at least I have. I havenít shot it much in the past few years, but itís a hog slammer. I just like my 6.8s better for hog killing. The ammo is kind of expensive too. Mine is a Bushmaster and the ballistics paired well with a Nikon shotgun scope with the BDC reticle. Plenty accurate enough for hog killing up to a couple hundred yards.
Why do you like the 6.8 better? More distance?
Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSTAR View Post
Look at the 458 SOCOM
I was actually looking at the 458 Socom first....
Old 10-07-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

I shoot a socom and I’ll say this unless you reload it’s way overpriced even hand loads are pricey compared to the 450.

I’d imagine the 450 inside 200 would devastate anything, also IMO it’s a better subsonic round since it uses pistol bullets however you also give up some penetration and what not due to the pistol bullets.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

I have one ... haven't shot it.
I have a 458, too. I think you can watch the bullet fly, on that one!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSTAR View Post
Look at the 458 SOCOM
450 BM going to have better ballistics and a little faster.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
chrisk
Ten Point

We love my .450 but its a Bushmaster 16” upper.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I have the 458 socom that I just built, very accurate rifle and is a hammer.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
Iím hearing the 450 has less problems than the 458 overall....
Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
KX500
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

Yes, really like mine. Ammo is about $1 each, like so many others - so not all that bad.

Living where I do, I'm very familiar with shooting shotguns with slugs and muzzleloaders.

450 Bushmaster offers very similar ballistics to these.

And recoil was really not bad.

Very cool round, that makes nice big holes should you need to follow a blood trail.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX500 View Post
Yes, really like mine. Ammo is about $1 each, like so many others - so not all that bad.

Living where I do, I'm very familiar with shooting shotguns with slugs and muzzleloaders.

450 Bushmaster offers very similar ballistics to these.

And recoil was really not bad.

Very cool round, that makes nice big holes should you need to follow a blood trail.
Thank ya sir! 200 grain bullets?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

I really like mine so far, but only about a box through it so far. The recoil was more than I was expecting, similar to a 3.5Ē 12g. Mine likes the Hornady FTX 250g. Only drawback is they havenít been on the shelf in many places...or anything 450BM actually.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
I really like mine so far, but only about a box through it so far. The recoil was more than I was expecting, similar to a 3.5Ē 12g. Mine likes the Hornady FTX 250g. Only drawback is they havenít been on the shelf in many places...or anything 450BM actually.
250 grain? That sounds good.... Itís like a 12 gauge 3 1/2 slug? I shoot 350 grain Buffalo Bore in my 45-70..so recoil shouldnít be too much of a problem....
Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
KX500
Four Point

Mine really liked the Hornady FTX 250g rounds too. I did put a cheap recoil pad on the butt.

Don't think it'll be as bad as your 45-70.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

A friend of mine up here bought a 450 Bushmaster not long after they first came out specifically for when he goes down south killing hogs. I have never shot it but he said they definitely do not get away after being hit by it!
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
Cuda
Spike

Hunt In: TX

I have a 450 in an AR pistol, thing is a beast. 9'' barrel is only good to about 150 max but the round itself is gnarly. You wont have to worry about tracking much down lol they'll be in the dirt before they knew what hit'em.
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #19
Keg
Ten Point

So..if I go with the 450..same lower..but different mags? It already sounds like 250 grain Hornady is the way to go..in factory ammo....
Old 10-09-2019, 03:44 AM   #20
Hotrodd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Iíve had mine for years. LOVE IT! Use it for anything inside 200 yds. ANYTHING hit by it does not go very far, usually itís bang-flop-dead! I would put the recoil about the same as a 20 gauge out of my 18Ē barrel Remington R15. 250 gr Hornady FTX seems to be the best all around bullet for this round, cost is not bad per round about $1.00 each, if you reload even better. Buy it you wonít be disappointed! Happy hunting!
Hotrodd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Iím hearing the 450 has less problems than the 458 overall....

The straight wall case of the 450BM will potentially be less problematic for reloading but the bullet selection is 1/3 of what is available for the 458 Socom.

There are expanding subsonic rounds for the 458. Since the bushmaster uses pistol bullets you may have a lower expansion velocity threshold but you will be limited to 250 grains or less which will give you energy comparable to a 45ACP.

You can get up to 600 grain bullets for the 458 so the energy will be much higher at subsonic velocities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #22
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
The straight wall case of the 450BM will potentially be less problematic for reloading but the bullet selection is 1/3 of what is available for the 458 Socom.

There are expanding subsonic rounds for the 458. Since the bushmaster uses pistol bullets you may have a lower expansion velocity threshold but you will be limited to 250 grains or less which will give you energy comparable to a 45ACP.

You can get up to 600 grain bullets for the 458 so the energy will be much higher at subsonic velocities.

Wait...what? Energy of a 45 acp?? Ok..subsonic.... I don’t run subsonic....
Old 10-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #23
KX500
Four Point

I'm not really sure where the '450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets' comes from. If the implication is that it is some how inferior because it uses 0.452" bullets-traditionally a pistol caliber- this really isn't true. My Savage muzzleloader uses this size bullet too, and I have no problem finding appropriate bullets to shove down that barrel.

The 450 Bushmaster Hornady 250 grain FTX, for example, uses the same bullet I can buy & use in my muzzleloader, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe 0.452 vrs 0.458 might matter if you are a hard core reloader, but it means nothing to me or probably anybody else who doesn't reload.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #24
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
I'm not really sure where the '450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets' comes from. If the implication is that it is some how inferior because it uses 0.452" bullets-traditionally a pistol caliber- this really isn't true. My Savage muzzleloader uses this size bullet too, and I have no problem finding appropriate bullets to shove down that barrel.

The 450 Bushmaster Hornady 250 grain FTX, for example, uses the same bullet I can buy & use in my muzzleloader, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe 0.452 vrs 0.458 might matter if you are a hard core reloader, but it means nothing to me or probably anybody else who doesn't reload.

So what youíre saying thereís only 1 high velocity Bullet available for the bushmaster?

Yes the vast majority of .451/.452 diameter bullets are for pistols and their lower velocities. I suppose you could use the 240 and 300 grain XTP Mag bullets IF you handload.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #25
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
So what youíre saying thereís only 1 high velocity Bullet available for the bushmaster?

Yes the vast majority of .451/.452 diameter bullets are for pistols and their lower velocities. I suppose you could use the 240 and 300 grain XTP Mag bullets IF you handload.

If you hand load, there are multiple heavy bullets intended for cartridges such as the 454 Casull. I remember multiple 300 gr. and some 350 gr., I think even heavier than that, but that's really pushing the upper limit, from what I remember.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
All of my ballistic info says the 458 SOCOM spits the same weight bullet out the same length barrel faster, not a lot faster, but the SOCOM is faster.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #27
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

The basics on the 450 Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM are the 450 Bushmaster basically shoots bullets intended for hand guns, so they are a bit lighter, likely have a little thinner jacketing. Then the 450 Bushmaster with it's straight wall case should have less problems with reloading and feeding. But most guys get the 458s to work very well. With the 458s you have a little large case capacity, not much but larger, because of the larger diameter case. The 458 shoots 458 diameter bullets typically intended for cartridges such as the 45-70. But guys shoot bullets intended for 458 Win. Mags out of the SOCOMs, really kind of a waste of time, other than to say your gun shoots 500 gr., 600 gr. or 700 gr. bullets. The lighter of the 458 bullets that I know of are 300 gr., the 325 gr. and 350 gr. Then the old 405 gr. bullets popular for the 45-70 for a long time. The jacketing on most of the 458 caliber bullets should be a bit heavier to a lot heavier, depending on the bullet and it's intended use. Stuff intended for a 45-70, will be a little heaver than 451 caliber bullets intended for a 454 Casull. Which can be good and bad. Really at the velocities of a 16" barrel 450 Bushmaster, bullets intended for a 454 Casull, should work very well, more so on lighter game like Texas whitetails. The heavier bullets intended for calibers like a 454 Casull, should work on some pretty large game out of a 450 Bushmaster. I know guys have killed about everything that walks on the face of the earth with 454 Casulls and the 450 Bushmaster does not spit bullets much faster than the 454 Casull hand guns.
The lighter 300 to 350 gr. bullets from a 458 SOCOM should work great for whitetails to mule deer, black bears, ect. Things in the elk to moose size, probably would be best to use the 405 gr. bullets out of a SOCOM.

One last thing, I am not familiar with, with the 450 Bushmaster but suspect, is I would bet with a 450 Bushmaster, you should be able to fit more rounds in the same length magazine than a 458 SOCOM. With the SOCOMs large case diameter, you can not get may rounds in the magazine, I think something like 9 or 11 for what would normally be a 30 5.56 magazine. If that is a factor for you. Not really a factor for me, since I only use my guns for hunting.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #28
chrisk
Ten Point

With mine there has been 5 different people kill deer with it. If I remember right that is 15 deer. Only one was shot at more than once and that was my neighbor. From 0-200 it is very effective.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #29
KX500
Four Point

When I shop for ammo for my 450 Bushmaster, I see loads that use the same bullets that I'm already using in my muzzleloader and 20 gauge slug gun - 250 & 260 grain bullets that I have complete confidence in, having taken many head of game with them. I see none that have a bullet obviously made for handgun velocities. Maybe the bullets you can buy to reload 450 Bushmaster were made for a handgun, but the loaded rounds I see don't have these bullets.

I have currently only tried one 450 Bushmaster load (Hornady 250 gr FTX), but when you get 1" groups at 100 yards with it, do you really keep looking? I have taken deer with this same bullet at about the same velocity with very good results. The Hornady FTX line has the bullet bonded to the jacket, unlike the Hornady XTP or SST, which can separate. I have recovered the jacket from a 0.452" 250 grain XTP that did a very good job of killing one of my biggest bucks. Never found the bullet, but results were: Bang, Flop - which really is pretty typical for this bullet traveling at 2200 - 2300 fps.

And really, how many .45 caliber AR15 rounds are going to be around in 10 years?

All you guys who live in Texas don't have to give a thought to the hole 'straight walled cartridge' thing.

But in case you missed it, (I don't blame you if you did) there are a bunch of northern states that have not allowed centerfire rifles for deer hunting - shotguns & muzzleloaders only. More & more of these states (not mine yet, of course) have realized that there are some centerfire rounds that are very similar to the shotgun slugs and muzzleloader loads that are already in use. Why not let the peasants use those? And so many are, most defining it as 'straight wall cartridges' are OK.

So with that in mind, I feel like the 450 Bushmaster will be the winner in the '45 caliber AR15 round' contest. Since it does work in the AR15 and in the states that are allowing straight walled cartridges. Also, Savage & Ruger have thrown their hats in the 450 Bushmaster ring by offering bolt action rifles in this caliber - may as well take advantage of those northern states right.

Finally, when I shop for 450 SOCOM ammo, I see that is mostly offer bullets what weigh a lot more than I need and that it costs 1.5 to 2X as much as the 450 BM.

I can see why you guys handload for it.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #30
chrisk
Ten Point

I need to get dies for mine
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #31
chrisk
Ten Point

I could very easily get advertised speed and then some with mine even with a 16” barrel.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #32
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Why do you like the 6.8 better? More distance?
Ammo is much cheaper, one doubles as my coyote gun, and I have yet to see the hog that wonít drop with a high shoulder shot with either 6.8 that I own. This one weighed 270, dropped him in the corn row
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #33
Keg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Ammo is much cheaper, one doubles as my coyote gun, and I have yet to see the hog that wonít drop with a high shoulder shot with either 6.8 that I own. This one weighed 270, dropped him in the corn row
Iíve been thinking bout getting a 6.8 upper...but the way I hunt hogs..75 yards max..plus I like the idea of a big bore AR....
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #34
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Been shooting the 450 Bushmaster now about a year out of a Stoner upper from Midway. The 250gr FTX Bullet is made specifically for the 450 Bushmaster. They are proprietary projectiles, NOT handgun bullets loaded in the cartridge. Maybe in the beginning. But not now. I have not used it on game yet. I added Armaspec 2 stage buffer and changed the muzzle brake to the tanker type, left the gas block alone. Have a A2 stock on it. I get groups under an inch at 100yds. Federal makes a 300gr bullet, but the drop is 7-8" at 100yds compared to the 250gr FTX.
www.Targetsportsusa.com has had the ammo at great prices.

No doubt the round is a thumper and the 250 gr FTX is THE load for the 450 Bushmaster. I am sure it is good pig medicine.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #35
Rem40x
Four Point

Yall should just get a 45-70 and be happy . No problems for at least 100 years or so
Rem40x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #36
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

FWIW, I killed the cow in my avatar with a 94 Winchester 44 mag, launching a 310 grain gas check bullet at about 1600. Shot her 3 times, two of which went straight through the heart, and only had one that didnít pass through.

According to hodgdon, the BM is on par with a 300 grain ďTrapdoorĒ 45-70 loadóbasically what you buy at academy.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

The 45-70 may be same caliber as the 250gr FTX 450 Bushmaster. After 100yds it starts dropping. There are magnum 45-70 loads with 300gr bullets that can push a 45-70 to 2200FPS...But who is gonna shoot that? In a lever gun or single shot most of the time.
The ballistics of the BM 250gr FTX is 4" high at 100yds, dead on at 200 and at 300yds... it drops 19.3".
All this at 2200FPS and it is semi auto delivering 7 rds. in a AR size package.
While many other calibers are capable...I look at the 45-70 as like having points on your ignition instead of the 450 Bushmaster and having electronic ignition.
Both work, but one is modern.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #38
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

I love my 450BM This buck was 287yds DRT.
Attached Images

coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #39
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
Did you just point it at him and he DRT?
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #40
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
THAT... is a heck of a shot with that bullet dropping 19" at 300 yds.
You must know your caliber!
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #41
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:

pistol bullet as opposed to a rifle bullet,, the pistol bullet is jacket is thinner and more likely to come apart at rifle velocities,, it's not the diameter that creates a difference it's the jacket and bullet weights, up to 600 in the 458 and about 300 gr in the 45,,, the 450 us not superior to the 458 in any guise,,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #42
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
THAT... is a heck of a shot with that bullet dropping 19" at 300 yds.
You must know your caliber!
Have a Muzzleloader scope on it the ballistics match perfect.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #43
KX500
Four Point

So the 458 SOCOM is the better choice because it uses heavier, slower rifle bullets that equates to less energy than what the 450 BM delivers? I think we all know what heavier & slower means for trajectory. Oh and almost nobody makes ammo for it or rifles for that matter, right?

And exactly which 450 BM round from Federal, Hornady, Winchester or Remington has those pistol bullets that are going to come apart on me?

Nothing I've seen tells me the 458 SOCOM is the better choice and replies to this thread have not changed that.

I plan to hunt hogs & deer with my 450 BM. Now if we're talking buffalo or elk, maybe I'd want that heavier bullet. But even then, is the 458 SOCOM going to be around in 10 years? Why would it be?