Why don't you hear of people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you hear of people

Why don't you hear of people using the 30-06 for long range hunting or shooting. It doesn't see to get much press or support.

Shouldn't it be okay for both?

How far would you shoot your 30-06.

Carlos Hathcock used a 30-06 so it can be used for long range shooting.

I don't know why you don't hear about it as much. Come to think of it I don't know many people that have one even.

Comment

I love my 30-06 and it can reach out. But if I am going long, why not use the 300 RUM?

Comment

Fashion. 30-06 is old school. Its still my favorite hunting rifle round. With a scope that round will be accurate and kill whatever it hits for farther than I would be comfortable shooting or even being able to see.

The 30-06 will maintain its effective ACCURACY range for slightly over 1,400 yards shooting a 210 Berger at a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps. After that, it crosses the sound barrier destroying its accuracy.

Reference: fieldandstream.com/answers/hunting/big-game-hunting/finding-elk-bear…

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Fashion. 30-06 is old school. Its still my favorite hunting rifle round. With a scope that round will be accurate and kill whatever it hits for farther than I would be comfortable shooting or even being able to see.

The 30-06 will maintain its effective ACCURACY range for slightly over 1,400 yards shooting a 210 Berger at a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps. After that, it crosses the sound barrier destroying its accuracy.

Reference: fieldandstream.com/answers/hunting/big-game-hunting/finding-elk-bear…
          Most powders put the MV at closer to 2400-2500 fps. Only 1 gets close to 2600.

Comment

Mostly because the .300 magnum calibers shoot the same bullets a little faster and flatter. It doesn't mean the .30-06 can't do the job. Others just do it a little bit better.

Comment

Much better options with higher BC

Comment

Love my 06.

Comment

Lots of folks use the 308 and it has lower velocities for the same bullet weight.

Comment

I think it's just technical advancement. The '06 was king in its day, but so was a rifled musket, but so was a sword, but so was a rock........

Comment

The 30 06 is as good as any of them for long range hunting. We`re talking inches of difference in tragectory. For competition it has too much recoil, as do any of the big 7`s and big 30`s.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Mostly because the .300 magnum calibers shoot the same bullets a little faster and flatter. It doesn't mean the .30-06 can't do the job. Others just do it a little bit better.
                        But yet people still think the 308 is the end all, do all.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          The 30 06 is as good as any of them for long range hunting. We`re talking inches of difference in tragectory. For competition it has too much recoil, as do any of the big 7`s and big 30`s.

Inches are easy to deal with in elevation, not so much in windage.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                            But yet people still think the 308 is the end all, do all.
                            No, no, no ! That's the .280 Rem you're thinking of !

Comment

Carlos Hathcock used a Winchester model 70 30-06. He had lots of kills over 1000yds.

Comment

Working...
                              X