Homemade trailer? How to register?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
    Interesting. So the trailer was gifted to me and I don't have my grandpa's signature. I guess I'll be waiting for him to come back in town in a week or so.
    You should be good. I bought the trailer a couple months go and while I had the bill of sale, I didn't have the guys signature on the U-130 form. And I would never, ever, ever, ever suggest someone forge a signature on a government document and I would never do such a thing myself.

Comment

Got it done on lunch. Easy stuff. They had all of the info on it from the old plates. Didn't need any other signature, but mine. $75 later I'm in business.

Comment

Looking for some help here...

Just had a 12' utility trailer made and need it registered. I went by the Comal Tax office and they told me the below;
        1. Need Weight ticket
        2. Need Vehicle Inspection
        3. Need inspection from Sheriff's office.
        4. Take all documents to the office in Austin where they will give me a VIN and then register it.

Does this sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
          Does this sound right?
          Nope, at least from the county I live in.
          Last time I registered a trailer, all the lady asked me was what was the axle weight. In and out in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Nope, at least from the county I live in.
            Last time I registered a trailer, all the lady asked me was what was the axle weight. In and out in about 5 minutes.
            Mine is tandem.

Does that matter? She kept referencing a gross weight of 4k was the reason for all of the extra stuff.

Comment

The requirements vary greatly from county to county.

Call your tax office and ask.

Comment

Looking for some help here...

Just had a 12' utility trailer made and need it registered. I went by the Comal Tax office and they told me the below;
                1. Need Weight ticket
                2. Need Vehicle Inspection
                3. Need inspection from Sheriff's office.
                4. Take all documents to the office in Austin where they will give me a VIN and then register it.

Does this sound right?
                Bexar county told me the same thing, Wilson county is much easier. Pictures, weight ticket, and cash for the registration was it. That was for a 16' tandem I built in my shop.

Comment

Mine is tandem.

Does that matter? She kept referencing a gross weight of 4k was the reason for all of the extra stuff.
                  I think the rules have changed some. Once you get over a certain weight on the axles, you have to take it in to be inspected. Not sure if it's 3500 or greater. Maybe somebody will shed some light on it for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                    Bexar county told me the same thing, Wilson county is much easier. Pictures, weight ticket, and cash for the registration was it. That was for a 16' tandem I built in my shop.

That's what I'm thinking

I'll be swinging by Karnes on Friday

Comment

That's what I'm thinking

I'll be swinging by Karnes on Friday
                      I waited to register mine till we were in the new house in Wilson county and it was easy and quick. Hopefully they don't make you register it in the county you reside in.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                        I think the rules have changed some. Once you get over a certain weight on the axles, you have to take it in to be inspected. Not sure if it's 3500 or greater. Maybe somebody will shed some light on it for ya.
                        My shop built trailer has 5k axles. I register it for 4500 pounds so i dont have to worry about inspections. Took about 10 minutes in McLennan Co to get license plate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                          My shop built trailer has 5k axles. I register it for 4500 pounds so i dont have to worry about inspections. Took about 10 minutes in McLennan Co to get license plate.

Is 4500 the cutoff?

Comment

Yes, at 4501 you must have it inspected

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post

By contrast my latest home built is a single 3500# axle 12' trailer. In Montgomery County I had to:

-Go to tax office for temp plate
                              - take trailer to sheriffs office for inspection with material reciepts
                              - return to tax office with inspection to get Ser# and plates.

Again, contact YOUR local tax office and ask what their requirements are.

Comment

Is 4500 the cutoff?

I think that varies as well. They kept asking me if mine would hold 4,000 pounds. Anything over 4,000 I would have to get inspected. They also had on the form I filled out what they weight of the trailer was...it's a small jet ski trailer so I guessed 200. Well they had in their records that it was 100 and if I wanted to change it I would have to go see a certified scale and get an exact weight with receipt.

I'm assuming since yours is brand new you will have to do all of those things they asked you to originally do since it has no vin number or something to reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X