HVAC Guys???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC Guys???

I need some help on how to wire a new thermostat. I have a brand new home and the builder was supposed to install Wifi thermostats but didn't. No big deal I will add them. Problem I have is that I don't have a C wire. I have 18/6 wire ran but all of the strands are terminated in the thermostat and at the unit. Is there a way I wire this to get a C wire? The two pics attached show the thermostat and the furnace. Thank you
    Attached Files

I’m guessing your thermostats don’t have an option to run batteries? I’m really surprised your installer didn’t run enough conductors.

Comment

Well, if the t-stat doesn't use batteries then you will have to pull a new t-stat wire. Since the builder screwed up, can you have them come back and do it? I'd at least give it a try before pulling it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith View Post
        I’m guessing your thermostats don’t have an option to run batteries? I’m really surprised your installer didn’t run enough conductors.
        Well.....lets just say I have no desire to build another house. Of course I can always run another wire as its a single story only problem is I had my room spray foamed for noise and one of the thermostats are in my room.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
          Well, if the t-stat doesn't use batteries then you will have to pull a new t-stat wire. Since the builder screwed up, can you have them come back and do it? I'd at least give it a try before pulling it myself.
          Thank you....would love to but unfortunately its in the lawyers hands now so they are not real big on any call backs :-)

Comment

Bump.....anyway to get a c wire?

Comment

The second picture looks like a zone panel. Do you have a zoning system? I would take a look at the brand name on the zone panel and then search the old internet for the installation instructions. I bet they have a wiring diagram that will help.

Comment

If you want a C wire you will need to pull a new cable, use 18/8, plenty of conductors.

As far as I know, there isn't a WiFi enabled thermostat that doesn't use a C wire, except the Honeywell Prestige. The WiFi transceiver uses a lot of power (relatively anyway), that's why it needs constant power and will not operate on batteries.

The Prestige will do what you want and the thermostat only needs power, 2 wires. The EIM (equipment interface module) installs at the indoor unit and communicates wirelessly to the thermostat. This is via the RedLink wireless protocol which also enables this thermostat to connect to other RedLink accessories (like outdoor sensors and room sensors).

For this thermostat to be WiFi you will need a RedLink Internet Gateway. This a bridge to connect the Redlink thermostat to the gateway, which then connects it to the internet. The gateway is just a router that speak both RedLink and Internet language.

Another option is to use wireless relays. The best I have found are made by Jackson Systems and are three one relays. You will use any wire for C (you will need to rewire in the indoor unit). Then whatever wire you used, let's say Y1, will then need to be linked up on the wireless relay. When the thermostat calls for Y1 (cooling, 1st stage) it will then send a wireless signal from the transceiver at the thermostat to the transceiver at the indoor unit to activate the Y1 circuit/relay. R and C cannot be transmitted wirelessly.

The last option is to use the Venstar Add A Wire kit. It's been a while since I used one of these and I have never used on a two stage system, but it should work.

Best option: Honeywell Prestige Thermostat with Internet Gateway
                Better option: Jackson Systems Wireless Relay kit
                Good: Venstar Add A Wire Kit

Comment

Do those at least support z-wave? Ours do not have Wi-Fi but do have z-wave just like our door looks. We control everything from our phones via our alarm system app.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                    Do those at least support z-wave? Ours do not have Wi-Fi but do have z-wave just like our door looks. We control everything from our phones via our alarm system app.
                    Prestige does not support Z-Wave or Zigby; the RedLink protocol is proprietary to Honeywell. Just a different app on the phone.

Comment

You may be able to look into the details of your zoning control board. A lot of zoning systems will Allow the use of multi stage heating and cooling while using a single stage thermostat. Not sure what you have but may be worth a shot.

The other option:
                      I use a thermostat made by building 36 that allows the use of wireless room temp sensors. I believe some other brands use the same thing. You could put the thermostat somewhere easy to get wire to and then just put the wireless temp sensor in your room.

Comment

Hey guys.....took me a while to get back up in the attic. I do have a zoned system with a aprilaire model 6404 controller. Is there any chance I can make it work somehow with the controller?

Comment

Morning bump

Comment

Also something to consider is the type of system you have. If it is variable speed you will need the correct tstat. Example.... Trane indoor variable speed unit requires there tstat to control the circuit that controls the speeds of that blower, also same with zoning. Trane is fully communicating so it requires there communicating stat to control the dampers and system.
                            Being Aprilaire I would think you could use the Honeywell wifi stats with it but I am not up to par on there products as i do not use them.

Comment

Nothing pictured here indicates a communicating system.
                              I can't find the right info on that zoning control to give me the answers I need to give you any help. What type of equipment are you running? Gas or electric?

Comment

Working...
                              X