winchester model 70 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winchester model 70 help

Posted on other sights but maybe someone here knows..

I have a Winchester model 70 , my son inherited from his grandfather whom inherited from his father.#35455 so assume it was produced 1954,Mauser action,safety,etc, pre 64 all looks original, checkered stock etc..on barrel ..Stamped on rifle left side....Winchester proof steel-model 70-Winchester trade mark-7M/M. Then 7 MM REMINGTON MAGNUM.No serial number on action. Serial number on right side of barrel .My question is from reading the 7MM Remington Magnum did not come out until 1962?All 7MMs were & Millimeter Mausers, but states & MM remington magnum, and have read somewhere Winchester did not produce this round in a Model 70 until after the Pre 64 was changed?The rifle is in exceptional condition stock may have been re finished over the years to original and is high gloss.Have heard some old Model 54s were re calibrated but very rare. Any insight would help

Hey Monk! Detailed pictures would help.. and most gun stuff is in the "other side of the ranch forum" on tbh. You'll still have several gun guys see this im sure though. If you're using Tapatalk pictures are really easy to load. I'm wondering why the action isn't numbered? Did you take off the stock? I thought even the old ones the number is up on the front right of the action by the chamber and lugs

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
      Posted on other sights but maybe someone here knows..

I have a Winchester model 70 , my son inherited from his grandfather whom inherited from his father.#35455 so assume it was produced 1954,Mauser action,safety,etc, pre 64 all looks original, checkered stock etc..on barrel ..Stamped on rifle left side....Winchester proof steel-model 70-Winchester trade mark-7M/M. Then 7 MM REMINGTON MAGNUM.No serial number on action. Serial number on right side of barrel .My question is from reading the 7MM Remington Magnum did not come out until 1962?All 7MMs were & Millimeter Mausers, but states & MM remington magnum, and have read somewhere Winchester did not produce this round in a Model 70 until after the Pre 64 was changed?The rifle is in exceptional condition stock may have been re finished over the years to original and is high gloss.Have heard some old Model 54s were re calibrated but very rare. Any insight would help

I'm gonna pm Cajun Blake a link to this thread. I know he has access to a serial number data base. Don't know if he can find this one or not but its worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If that serial number is correct it was manufactured in 1941. Probably was rebarreled. Post some pictures if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          I'm gonna pm Cajun Blake a link to this thread. I know he has access to a serial number data base. Don't know if he can find this one or not but its worth a shot.
          honestly, I have zero clue about M70's

my knowledge and expertise is on the Rem 700

Comment

Here's a link to a PDF file from Winchester for any serial number from 1866 up to 1992.

Comment

Working...
            X