• Show
Clear All

Congrats great trophies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great animals!
      Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I am trying to stir the pot or an argument here. But we left a 2000.00 deposit to hunt over there a couple years ago. But the more we researched it, we found they are all high fence operations ( concessions I think they call them) of varying size. Some buy animals to replace the ones harvested. I have nothing against that, it's just not what I thought Africa was, and not how I want to spend my money, so I have lost interest in going. So there seems to be quit a few of you guys that have gone, is that how it works ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          I am trying to stir the pot or an argument here. But we left a 2000.00 deposit to hunt over there a couple years ago. But the more we researched it, we found they are all high fence operations ( concessions I think they call them) of varying size. Some buy animals to replace the ones harvested. I have nothing against that, it's just not what I thought Africa was, and not how I want to spend my money, so I have lost interest in going. So there seems to be quit a few of you guys that have gone, is that how it works ?

This is a good question. It's better asked on your own thread though. Just my opinion

Comment

Congrats on some great animals OP

Comment

Awesome hunt! Congrats!!

Comment

First off congrats to the OP. Nice animals. I like a few started a thread not long ago about this. More so after listening to a MeatEater podcast. I never have experienced Africa and that's where I got slammed.

Like someone else stated start another thread and hang on for the ride.

Comment

I like how you just casually drop a 58 inch Kudu in there. Seriously, wow! That’s one hell of a beast! What kind of mount are you thinking about doing on it?

Comment

smb250,

Congrats on a great safari and some very nice animals.... Africa is in your blood for sure now... I know the USA rep for Bos en Dal very well. They are a solid outfit with an great reputation. I'm glad to hear you had a great experience with them!

I don't want to hijack the thread of a great report either, but this is a valid question worthy of a no BS response...

It is the law in most regions of South Africa that any privately owned property which has wild game on it must be contained by a 8' or higher perimeter fence regardless of size. This law was created for the purpose of a management tool to discouraging poachers rather than a containment device to restrict the game. Most folks who have never been to Africa just assume that high fence "preserves" of a few acres to a few hundred acres, like some offered here in the States, are the norm in Africa. In fact, very few RSA safari operations are run like that.

While there are certainly smaller game farms available in Africa offering these types of "put & take" hunts, they are not in any way the representative model of what is available to the hunter in Africa with the vast majority of reputable, well-established outfitters who own and manage huge tracts of their own land. I always encourage any prospective African hunter to do their due diligence in researching these outfitters to determine the kind of hunting experience that they can offer.

You will find that there are a multitude of outfitters who have hundreds of thousands of acres available for their clients to hunt on huge contiguous pieces of land offering true fair chase opportunities. On average, these concessions will start at 8,000-15,000 acres in size and many can range up to and beyond 30,000 plus acres. I think it's fair to say that you can get a real fair chase hunt on properties averaging 12 to 30 square miles in size.

I have been fortunate enough to have hunted with a few different outfitters in Africa, and my last 4 safaris have been with the same outfit in large part due to the incredible amount of diverse property that they either own within the family or manage exclusively for their guests to hunt. Their game animals are nearly all naturally propagated, and most reside on acreage that far exceeds their natural range. The only animals that are brought in are breeders that are occasionally introduced to enhance and vary the genetic quality of each species. I can personally assure you that these animals are as wild, wary, and challenging as any you will find in an unfenced environment. Try some spot & stalk bow hunting there for yourself if you don't believe me.

Additionally, if you have ever seen these types of fenced properties in RSA, you will see that the help manage the animals, but in no way restrict he movement of most of the species. Many of the smaller critters including steenboks, duikers, warthogs, all of the small cats, varmints, and predators can easily go over, under, and often through the fencing. Many other species such as leopards or baboons can scale a fence in a blink.... And, many such properties have no fence at all where natural borders such as rivers and canyons exist... My outfitter has a 7-mile stretch of property bordering the Limpopo river that has no fence. For 6 months of the year during the dry season, the animals freely cross back and forth from Botswana on the opposite side.

The way safari outfitting and property in South Africa is regulated makes it a very affordable option for those wanting to experience Africa, yet don't have tens of thousands of dollars to spend as any other truly wild option will cost. In my opinion, it would be a shame for anyone not to take advantage of this incredible hunting opportunity because they think it's all done in a canned pen of a few hundred acres...

There are also other affordable options to hunt in the Eastern Cape of South Africa or nearby Namibia that do indeed offer no-fence hunting opportunities for certain species. These other destinations are equally affordable in value although some may require you to catch a connecting domestic flight to another pick up point beyond Johannesburg. Depending on the logistics, it may add some additional travel costs and travel days to your itinerary to hunt one of these destinations. I have hunted Namibia twice and the Eastern Cape many times, and I highly recommend them... But, for the first-time African hunter, there is no beating the variety of species offered, the ease of traveling to South Africa, and the Limpopo in particular, for an overall exceptional hunting experience and value....I promise that you will feel like you are in Africa as you imagine it...! Just be sure to do your homework, ask the right questions, and pick a reputable outfit that owns lots of land!

Comment

Way awesome

Comment

Amazing Trophies! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Incredible trophies!!! Congrats on an awesome hunt! My wife would kill me when i told her the taxidermy bill lol I'm completely jealous!

Comment

Nice animals, Mark!
                            Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Truly spectacular, congrats on an awesome trip!

Comment

Congrats on all the great animals. My wife and I leave September 5 for our first Safari in Africa.

Comment

Working...
                                X