HVAC Guys???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
    Nothing pictured here indicates a communicating system.
    I can't find the right info on that zoning control to give me the answers I need to give you any help. What type of equipment are you running? Gas or electric?
    I would say it isn't as generally they only require 3 wires.

From what i am gathering its a heat pump system with 2 zones. So likely an upstairs and downstairs zone. But just a guess based off the wiring.

Comment

I would guess either straight electric or gas furnace. (O/b not connected at zone board, w1 is)

Comment

Best advice:

Tell the builder you want what was agreed upon and already paid for. Make it their problem.

Comment

Not trying to be a D but I’d call someone who knows what they’re doing. Seen way more customers screw things up then have to pay twice. Once for the original equipment they bought and then again for the equipment they paid me too install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get a Honeywell wifi tstat that uses a remote sensor. Mount the stat by your zone board (or wherever it is convenient), mount the sensor where the stat is now, Set it up and run it. biggest problem will be covering up the spot on the wall where the stat was, sensor will be smaller. Control it with your phone via wifi. You can mount the stat anywhere you can run control wire to.

Comment

Post 11 mentions using remote sensor stats, I don't know about the mfg he mentions, but Honeywell should have one. Here are a couple of nice stats:

T6220WF2006

T8321WF1001

with sensor # C7189U1005

Either one will work. Their cheaper stats don't come with remote sensor capability. White rogers makes good stats too. If shopping, make sure they are multi stage capable. Your pic above isn't using the "O" wire, so I am assuming you don't have a heat pump.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info....this may be alot harder than I thought it would be. I would love to go back on the builder but unfortunately that's in litigation now because they didn't do what they were supposed to. I have honeywell thermostat now and just want to be able to access them remotely. Any idea what I need to be able to make the current system do that?

Comment

I cant see the model of the one you have. If it is wifi, do what I said above. See post 20. All the sensor requires is 2 wires. Remove the stat and mount it near the zone board. Hook it up with existing wires between stat and zone board, Run a wire to the "C" terminal on both. Pick 2 wires and connect to the sensor, and to the "S" connections on the stat. Sensor wires don't need to go to the zone board, This is the sensor model # C7189U1005 set it up and run it. You can do it for the other zone as well, with the correct tstat and sensor.

Comment

Honeywell Lyric Round does not require a C wire

Comment

Not to derail the topic, but Wow! This thread got me thinking........
                      I've got to give you older hvac guys a lot of credit with this. I'm 30 years in the industrial/process side of the industry and couldn't begin to even imagine the idea of dealing with homeowners and smart phone technology while on a service call....
                      I'd have to get their kid to show me how to set it up..... lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                        I've got to give you older hvac guys a lot of credit with this. I'm 30 years in the industrial/process side of the industry and couldn't begin to even imagine the idea of dealing with homeowners and smart phone technology while on a service call....

Yeah the industry is rapidly changing.
                        Pretty soon all the heating/cooling/plumbing companies will be adding home automation to the side of their trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Post 11 mentions using remote sensor stats, I don't know about the mfg he mentions, but Honeywell should have one. Here are a couple of nice stats:

T6220WF2006

T8321WF1001

with sensor # C7189U1005

Either one will work. Their cheaper stats don't come with remote sensor capability. White rogers makes good stats too. If shopping, make sure they are multi stage capable. Your pic above isn't using the "O" wire, so I am assuming you don't have a heat pump.
                          This is going to be the easiest and least expensive option. Like Double Bogey said, the thermostat will be in the attic and the wired remote sensor will on the wall where your stat is now; you will run everything from the app.

And LWolken is correct in that the Lyric Round does not need a C wire and is compatible with your system. You will need to download the app first, as this is commissioned through the app. Plus, the round isn't a very good stat and will obsolete this year; the new Lyric is taking the place of the round. Unfortunately, for you anyway, the new Lyric does require a C wire. The new Lyric is great, the older, round, Lyric I would not put in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post

Heck we can now log in from the office and see error codes on homeowners communicating systems and see what the unit has been doing for the last 30 days. I still wish there was a way to in house finance some of these systems and have a way to shut down if payment is not made. This will allow for much more higher seer rated units to be installed thus allowing the electrical consumption to reduce drastically for all of texas. If someone has the smarts to come up with that let me know and I have the capability to help

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              Yeah the industry is rapidly changing.
                              Pretty soon all the heating/cooling/plumbing companies will be adding home automation to the side of their trucks.
                              We already do home automation! But yes, the industry has changed drastically in the 27ish years I have been doing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X