300 blk SST round for hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have experience with the 125gr SST’s on hogs?

I’ve read conflicting reviews on them. Some say they expand well and others say they are not moving fast enough for the sst to expand at all.

I’m shooting a 300 blk with a 10.5” barrel. Currently using the 120gr Remington OTFB’s and have had mixed results. Have had them blow big holes in small hogs but don’t do so well on penetrating through big pigs. The gun is a thermal set up so the 1st shot is in the ear hole and the rest are just the 1st part of the pigs that come across the reticle.

I’ve read great things about the 110gr Barnes but I shoot to much to justify spending that much on a nasty ol swine. Any other sub $20 a box ammo that you guys can recommend ?

I have used them before, pretty much the same set up you have 10.5" BBL. They worked fine for me, but more often than not I either ear hole them or shoot them in the neck. I have shot a couple smaller ones in the shoulder and they dropped fine, no exit on mine, but they died.
    I am using Hog Hammers right now, but I have only killed one with them so far. Pigs are skeered of me on my new lease! lol

Comment

I have zero experience with the 125grainers, but I shoot the 150s out of my Remmy 300blk bolt gun. H110 and WSR primers are your friends. My gun shoots better than .5MOA with the 150s so you might get decent performance from the 125s. Mine clock at 1845fps from my gun.

Comment

Buy a box and report the results!!

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
          I have zero experience with the 125grainers, but I shoot the 150s out of my Remmy 300blk bolt gun. H110 and WSR primers are your friends. [emoji6]b My gun shoots better than .5MOA with the 150s so you might get decent performance from the 125s. Mine clock at 1845fps from my gun.

You are getting dangerously close to if not below the recommended expansion velocity with those.

My hand loads clock 2315 fps with the 110 TAC TX bullets from my 8”barrel and are flat deadly and I don’t do head shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            You are getting dangerously close to if not below the recommended expansion velocity with those.

My hand loads clock 2315 fps with the 110 TAC TX bullets from my 8”barrel and are flat deadly and I don’t do head shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
            Mike are you using a suppressor
            Thanks

Comment

I’ve not heard much good about SST bullets. I reload 110gr VMAX for my 8” 300BO and have had no problems with deer, pigs or coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vap View Post
                Mike are you using a suppressor

Thanks

Yes I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes I am new to the site, but not to hog hunting. I have gone to the Beck Defense ammo. Works awesome and haven't found anything that it doesn't work good on too. Finally the price is awesome for the results.

300 Blackout 110gr Lehigh CONTROLLED CHAOS - NEW ITEM20 Round BoxNew ManufactureVelocity:  2315 FPSMuzzle Energy:  1,308 Ft/Lbs Muzzle Energy The 110gr Controlled Chaos projectile is another cutting edge tecnological advancemen

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Yes I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Thank you mike

Comment

Working...
                    X