Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default My Protein Feeding Strategy

So, I thought I would share my experience with the TBH masses that might be interested in feeding strategies. I am not proclaiming my knowledge or experience or strategy to be the end-all-be-all. I am only sharing what I do, based on my hunting lease and my budget. Your circumstances will no doubt differ, but if you’re on a budget, here’s an option.

My goals:
1. Help 2 year old and older bucks show their potential to help me manage genetics.
2. Use remainder of feed budget to help improve overall herd health.

My herd:
+/- 50 deer frequent 2 feeding stations in my 400 acre pasture of a 20K acre LF ranch. Approximately 30 does, fawns and bucks under 2 years old combined and 20 bucks 2 years and older.

My observations:
With many thousands of trail camera photos and many hours in the blind, I have confirmed the following in my area.
1. The most active feeding times for bucks 2 years and older is early morning and late evening. All age classes have adjusted to my feeding times.
2. Does, fawns and young bucks will frequent the feeder much more than older bucks to get a bite.
3. The natural pecking order at the feeder is as follows – dominant bucks, then non-dominant bucks, then does, then fawns.

My strategy:
1. Feed free choice from 5–7 AM and 5-7 PM, targeting 2 year old and older bucks, with daylight being from 7 AM-6 PM. Each month, feeding times are adjusted to coincide with sunrise and sunset.
2. Upon closing off the free choice option at 7 AM and 7 PM, feed 10# twice a day in each location, available for consumption, according to the pecking order.
3. Limit total consumption to 2000# per month budget.

My expectations:
1. Targeted bucks will benefit the most with free choice feeding available.
2. Non-targeted deer will receive some benefit with timed feeding available.
3. Minimize loss to night time varmints with minimal night time feeding.

I’m just an average Joe, trying to make the most of what I have to work with and this is my strategy to maximize the effectiveness of my protein dollars in achieving my goals.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Kurdawg
Pope & Young
 
Kurdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nederland TX
Hunt In: Sam Rayburn
Default

I like the strategy. How do you shut of the feeder? Is it a timed feeder?
Kurdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdawg View Post
I like the strategy. How do you shut of the feeder? Is it a timed feeder?
I have two timed free choice feeders. One is a Krivoman timed lower unit and one I built myself.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Thanks for sharing
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Nailhead
Ten Point
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Anderson Co.
Default

Plan sounds pretty solid. I am going to be looking into switching the majority of our throwing feeders to protein gravity feeders. The deer just did not eat the corn like usual, obviously because of all the rain and warm winter, so natural forage was good. With them starting to seem to take to the food plots my hope is they will take to protein in the same way. We are on a small place so really I am feeding the deer for all the neighbors, but it's worth it to me if I can improve the herd and improve my chances. Going to tag this thread for future reference.
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
WTN
Eight Point
 
WTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Didn't you develop the timed protein mechanism and selling it now? If so, sounds like a self-promotional thread just like the double down everyone is bashing.

If I'm mistaken, my apologies.
WTN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Didn't you develop the timed protein mechanism and selling it now? If so, sounds like a self-promotional thread just like the double down everyone is bashing.

If I'm mistaken, my apologies.
Really? That's what you get out of my post? I thought I'd give a little help to others that are wanting to better manage their feed. Yes, I designed the device but I do not market or sell through TBH. In the event that my device affords me the ability to sponsor TBH, I will do so. For the record, Krivoman is a paid sponsor and he sells them on here, not me. Sales was never a consideration for my post.

How you compare my post to those of Double Down, I just don't get it. Although their claims sound too good to be true and their advertising seem to be a bit strong for the masses, the claims of DD are yet to be proven one way or the other. My post discussed when I feed and which deer I target and why I do it. I am not jamming anything down anyone's throat or selling anything. Give me a break.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
jmangrem
Eight Point
 
jmangrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Nolan, Brewster & Presidio Counties
Default

Good strategy. Very targeted and seems sound enough. My strategy is feed as much as I can afford and hope the right deer get it...works for me but I like yours too.
jmangrem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
ajm2nac
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: nacogdoches
Hunt In: nacogdoches
Default

I didn't get any "selling" tactics out of the read. I took it as informative. good write up
ajm2nac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
Kdog
Pope & Young
 
Kdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cibolo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada
Default

That got ugly quick. Any plans to make your timed device compatible with other types of feeders? (For example Boss Buck feeders.)
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

Didn't sound like you were trying to sell anything to me. If you answer Kdogs question they will be all over you though. Anyway nice write up!
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

I understand the limited budget and trying to put it where you think it will do the most work. Am I understanding that you want to feed the young bucks the most and not the older mature bucks which you will be targeting to kill? Also, once it gets hot and the days longer, my experience is that most if not all the deer feed at the feeders at night. That is something to take into consideration. Another thing is that there is a high mortality rate among the younger deer classes so you probably will be feeding quite a few deer that never make it to maturity. Just some thoughts on your plan.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young
 
Johnny Dangerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now
Default

That works out to 88 pounds a day. One of the beautiful things about a protein program is it Allowes more deer on your property. By my guesstimates that would be about 10 more deer that could come on your property and be happy and comfortable

Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 01-13-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I understand the limited budget and trying to put it where you think it will do the most work. Am I understanding that you want to feed the young bucks the most and not the older mature bucks which you will be targeting to kill? Also, once it gets hot and the days longer, my experience is that most if not all the deer feed at the feeders at night. That is something to take into consideration. Another thing is that there is a high mortality rate among the younger deer classes so you probably will be feeding quite a few deer that never make it to maturity. Just some thoughts on your plan.
Sorry if I was unclear. My main targets are actually mature bucks down to 2 years old. Opening the free choice 2 hours before sunrise gives old mature bucks an opportunity to avoid daylight in the off season as does opening an hour before sunset for 2 hours. Once free choice ends, there's still 10# of feed in the tubes to be eaten until the next free choice begins. My deer, including the 7 and 8 year olds, have adjusted to my feeding regiment.

I've been feeding the same two spots for 5 years, collecting data and chronicling any and all deer I can identify from year to year. I have not seen the mortality rate you speak of in young deer at all. Not too often do we have a deer just fall off the face of the earth. I think as deer get older their mortality rate (death from natural causes) increases but I don't see a lot of that either yet.

Thanks for your input to this discussion. I've been feeding intensely for 10 years but there's always something to be learned.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

I did as well. I know all deer herds are different so just related my experience to your proposed plan. 90% of the time my mature deer would hit the protein feeders between about midnight and 2 in the morning from about May till Oct. I always figured the wee hours of the morning is when they would have fed because that was the coolest time of the day but they didnt for the most part. With that much time collecting data, I think you have a plan that will work for you and your deer herd. Good luck with it. I tried to locate a graph showing mortality percentages by age but couldnt. If I can find it, I will post up later.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #16
redfishted
Eight Point
 
redfishted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madisonville, Texas
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Didn't you develop the timed protein mechanism and selling it now? If so, sounds like a self-promotional thread just like the double down everyone is bashing.

If I'm mistaken, my apologies.
Where did that come from
redfishted is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #17
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

Good info here. Where can I get the device that controls my feed times?
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I did as well. I know all deer herds are different so just related my experience to your proposed plan. 90% of the time my mature deer would hit the protein feeders between about midnight and 2 in the morning from about May till Oct. I always figured the wee hours of the morning is when they would have fed because that was the coolest time of the day but they didnt for the most part. With that much time collecting data, I think you have a plan that will work for you and your deer herd. Good luck with it. I tried to locate a graph showing mortality percentages by age but couldnt. If I can find it, I will post up later.
This is also my experience. What I tell people all the time is if you want to truly notice a difference it needs to be fed year round and free choice.

Timed protein feeders defeat the use of improving the herd and building bigger racks/bodies.

They are more for hunting reasons.

Deer are naturally moving more at night and feeding more at night, so not allowing them to use your supplemental feed during those times is not helping the herd.

Just my 2 cents from 7-8 years of doing it
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
This is also my experience. What I tell people all the time is if you want to truly notice a difference it needs to be fed year round and free choice.

Timed protein feeders defeat the use of improving the herd and building bigger racks/bodies.

They are more for hunting reasons.

Deer are naturally moving more at night and feeding more at night, so not allowing them to use your supplemental feed during those times is not helping the herd.

Just my 2 cents from 7-8 years of doing it
Did you even read my posts? I fed 20000# thru my timed feeders last year on my little 400 acres. I think my efforts did just fine in helping the herd. Deer that used to feed when THEY wanted to at my free choice now feed when I want them to at my timed free choice feeders. Same amount of feed being fed as before I started timed free choice, just changed my targeted deer.

Appreciate the 2 cents...worth every penny.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
Did you even read my posts? I fed 20000# thru my timed feeders last year on my little 400 acres. I think my efforts did just fine in helping the herd. Deer that used to feed when THEY wanted to at my free choice now feed when I want them to at my timed free choice feeders. Same amount of feed being fed as before I started timed free choice, just changed my targeted deer.

Appreciate the 2 cents...worth every penny.
Your mind was made up prior to reading my response, and thats ok.

Simple reasoning/common sense would tell you deer/any animal or human will eat more from a free choice buffet. If you think otherwise there is no need in trying to convince you.

Ooo so you personally changed your target deer thru your timed feeders?

Please do some research from actual studies/experts and let me know from the sense of growing bigger deer/bucks and improving the herd if timed feeders or free choice is the way to go
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Your mind was made up prior to reading my response, and thats ok.

Simple reasoning/common sense would tell you deer/any animal or human will eat more from a free choice buffet. If you think otherwise there is no need in trying to convince you.

Ooo so you personally changed your target deer thru your timed feeders?

Please do some research from actual studies/experts and let me know from the sense of growing bigger deer/bucks and improving the herd if timed feeders or free choice is the way to go
Looky here Ginger, I never said that complete free choice feeding wasn't best. Never said that they wouldn't eat more if it was 24/7 free choice. Never said that deer didn't prefer to eat at night. Funny that 645 views so far and you're the only one to not get that.

What's YOUR feeding strategy? Do you keep feed available 24/7 and never let the feeders run out or do you just shoot your mouth off telling people the obvious while you do something different? This is MY feeding strategy and MY money that I posted up, not yours.

Trouble with reading comprehension or just stupid? That's a rhetorical question because I've seen many of your posts.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

..
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #23
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point
 
TTU TX Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Krum, TX
Hunt In: Archer, Denton and Jack county
Default

Boy that escalated quickly. I think this is the first plan that I've seen to put some annual figures out there. This is a great strategy in my opinion. You simply have taken a budget that works for you and at the same time works for your herd. I have wanted to make the jump to timed krivo's but just haven't had the budget but am going to try to soon and will definitely use this strategy!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the info you've given me in the past when I posted about feeders!! Have a good one and let the smoke roll off. We all know the ones who constantly stir the pot!
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
Boy that escalated quickly. I think this is the first plan that I've seen to put some annual figures out there. This is a great strategy in my opinion. You simply have taken a budget that works for you and at the same time works for your herd. I have wanted to make the jump to timed krivo's but just haven't had the budget but am going to try to soon and will definitely use this strategy!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the info you've given me in the past when I posted about feeders!! Have a good one and let the smoke roll off. We all know the ones who constantly stir the pot!
If I can help others in a situation like mine, its worth way more to me than any piddly amount I would ever make off my device. Thanks for the comment!
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #25
bgleaton
Ten Point
 
bgleaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default

We have a 400 acre place that we are trying to lower the feed bill on. This thread is very interesting bc our deer are basically on the same pattern as your deer. We just bought a timed Krivoman protein adapter that we will be installing on our 1,500lb Krivoman unit and then will feed free choice out of our 1,000lb ASF trough and then throw corn out of our other 1,300lb Krivoman feeder until I can buy another one of Krivomans timed units. I really think these timed units will help prevent feed loss to raccoons at night as well as keeping the feed bill down a little bit. We are looking to do the exact same thing you are doing. If anyone knows how to prevent turkeys from taking protein I would love to hear it other than shooting them bc we have too many to make a dent. Wasn't sure if I could put something underneath the tube so that they couldn't reach it but deer could still reach it. Please keep us posted on your results.

By the way, I understand that feeding protein free-choice is the best way to do it, but on our small 400 acres we fed nearly 22,000lbs of protein, 10,000lbs of corn and around 3,000lbs of cottonseed. Just trying to find ways to offer it free-choice with our trough feeder as well as using timed protein feeders to just lower the feed bill. For us, it's finding that happy medium.

Last edited by bgleaton; 01-14-2016 at 06:20 PM.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #26
bollomb
Eight Point
 
bollomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Spring Tx
Hunt In: Trinity
Default

I like the thinking in your strategy.. The way I see it is you will have feed available 365 days a yr going this route versus going the free choice route and letting it go empty for periods of time if refilling is not in your budget at the time.. I like it
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #27
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
This is also my experience. What I tell people all the time is if you want to truly notice a difference it needs to be fed year round and free choice.

Timed protein feeders defeat the use of improving the herd and building bigger racks/bodies.

They are more for hunting reasons.

Deer are naturally moving more at night and feeding more at night, so not allowing them to use your supplemental feed during those times is not helping the herd.

Just my 2 cents from 7-8 years of doing it
I agree. I've always believed in free choice, because I want protein available for deer anytime they want. This is very important during the hot summer months when the deer are mostly up and feeding at night. Where a timed protein feeder works well is for those that chose to protein feed year around. I would switch to timed right before hunting season and back to free choice after.

For budget reasons, we are protein feeding February to September free choice. We are feeding corn July to February but that is simply for attracting. Everyone has their goals, budgets and reasons.

OP stick to what works for you and keep us posted. No matter how long all of us have been feeding, I think there is room for everyone to learn something.... Especially me.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #28
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
I like the thinking in your strategy.. The way I see it is you will have feed available 365 days a yr going this route versus going the free choice route and letting it go empty for periods of time if refilling is not in your budget at the time.. I like it
Bingo! You get it.

We've paid particular attention to how our mature deer react to our feeding times. Those are the guys we hunt and those are the guys we care the most about getting their fill of protein.

To start, those old toads will start showing up in the wee hours and continue to swing by, until the feed is available. Over time, they figure out the feeding schedule and have mostly stopped coming in the middle of the night and just show up 30 minutes to an hour before the feeder dispenses. So, we feel like we're feeding the deer we want to get the most feed. So far, we have not noticed the loss of one single deer due to our feeding schedule.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #29
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
I agree. I've always believed in free choice, because I want protein available for deer anytime they want. This is very important during the hot summer months when the deer are mostly up and feeding at night. Where a timed protein feeder works well is for those that chose to protein feed year around. I would switch to timed right before hunting season and back to free choice after.

For budget reasons, we are protein feeding February to September free choice. We are feeding corn July to February but that is simply for attracting. Everyone has their goals, budgets and reasons.

OP stick to what works for you and keep us posted. No matter how long all of us have been feeding, I think there is room for everyone to learn something.... Especially me.
Oh, I believe in free choice feeding, but my wallet doesn't I have deer coming by 24/7 to eat and if I fed free choice, without letting the feeder run out, my bill would increase by +/- 25%. So, I gotta figure out which deer I am actually wanting to get the most benefit on my 20,000#/yr budget.

Thanks for the input!
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #30
bollomb
Eight Point
 
bollomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Spring Tx
Hunt In: Trinity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
I agree. I've always believed in free choice, because I want protein available for deer anytime they want. This is very important during the hot summer months when the deer are mostly up and feeding at night. Where a timed protein feeder works well is for those that chose to protein feed year around. I would switch to timed right before hunting season and back to free choice after.

For budget reasons, we are protein feeding February to September free choice. We are feeding corn July to February but that is simply for attracting. Everyone has their goals, budgets and reasons.

OP stick to what works for you and keep us posted. No matter how long all of us have been feeding, I think there is room for everyone to learn something.... Especially me.
This is the route I currently go and seems to work well. Keeping feeders full and going free choice 6 solid months instead of just somewhat keeping feeders filled for a yr sounded better to us.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #31
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
This is the route I currently go and seems to work well. Keeping feeders full and going free choice 6 solid months instead of just somewhat keeping feeders filled for a yr sounded better to us.
For the record, we're required to feed protein February thru September. That's 8 months, including the high-stress periods of the summer heat.

I'd like to hear more because it sounds like you are giving them everything they could want or need during the times they need it most. How many deer are you feeding? How many pounds? How many acres? How many people footing the bill (if that's not too personal)? Details man!

Last edited by hammer63; 01-15-2016 at 12:23 PM.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #32
bollomb
Eight Point
 
bollomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Spring Tx
Hunt In: Trinity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
I'd like to hear more because it sounds like you are giving them everything they could want or need during the times they need it most. How many deer are you feeding? How many pounds? How many acres? How many people footing the bill (if that's not too personal)? Details man!
1200 acres in east texas. currently have 5 protein stations totaling 3000 lbs out at any given time. we fed 12k lbs last yr split between 2 guys. This yr we made the whole lease mandatory feb-october. Will be 5 guys footing the bill this yr. Guessing somewhere between 25-30 deer consistently hitting the protein. We feed corn july through end of the deer season
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #33
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
1200 acres in east texas. currently have 5 protein stations totaling 3000 lbs out at any given time. we fed 12k lbs last yr split between 2 guys. This yr we made the whole lease mandatory feb-october. Will be 5 guys footing the bill this yr. Guessing somewhere between 25-30 deer consistently hitting the protein. We feed corn july through end of the deer season
Looks like your joint efforts, deer density and protein consumption rate make it a lot more affordable than mine. I fed about 18K pounds on 400 acres between Jan. and October, then 2K pounds during season as an attractant.

Lots of variables to consider in the strategy. Good stuff!
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #34
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
Looks like your joint efforts, deer density and protein consumption rate make it a lot more affordable than mine. I fed about 18K pounds on 400 acres between Jan. and October, then 2K pounds during season as an attractant.

Lots of variables to consider in the strategy. Good stuff!
Right. The deer out there empty a 2k# feeder in less than a month.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #35
bollomb
Eight Point
 
bollomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Spring Tx
Hunt In: Trinity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
Looks like your joint efforts, deer density and protein consumption rate make it a lot more affordable than mine. I fed about 18K pounds on 400 acres between Jan. and October, then 2K pounds during season as an attractant.

Lots of variables to consider in the strategy. Good stuff!
True story! Deer density has a lot to do with it. We are also starting our 3rd yr going this route.. I have noticed every yr more n more deer grow accustomed to eating it.
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #36
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
True story! Deer density has a lot to do with it. We are also starting our 3rd yr going this route.. I have noticed every yr more n more deer grow accustomed to eating it.
Well, I applaud your efforts.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #37
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

I run a similar strategy on a 450 acre pasture with about half your density.

I know on such a small pasture that I'm feeding deer for other people and along with feeding coons at night is why I run my timer similar to yours. I don't have the normal heaviest of hunting pressure, only two feeders on my western fence line...

I've had good success with getting deer to 4.5 years old and beyond which is why I supply the protein...I'm a believer that good food, water, cover and LOOOOW pressure is key to holding deer on the property.

I'm planning to add another protein feeder next month and will feed the same program.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #38
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post

What's YOUR feeding strategy? Do you keep feed available 24/7 and never let the feeders run out or do you just shoot your mouth off telling people the obvious while you do something different?

Trouble with reading comprehension or just stupid? .
I feed protein Jan-October free choice in 2 1000 lb feeders, and run 3-5 corn feeder from Aug-end of season and then only running 2 now for hogs with 1 feeding at night.

And yes I don't let them go empty. During peak of summer protein will last 3-4 weeks.

I do not have trouble reading thanks and before you say something about money I guarantee I make way less then you and only own/feed less then 175 acres.

I just know free choice is the way to go. If budget is an issue, take out 25% of the feed stations and feed free choice at the others and it will all equal out to the same amount of feed/money

Just trying to help old timer

Last edited by gingib; 01-21-2016 at 01:01 PM.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #39
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point
 
Capt.Bryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Liberty
Hunt In: Brady
Default

Not arguing or stirring the pot here but not sure how much of a difference you will see in your strategy. I have hunted all over the state, one lease I am on north of Brady is 650 acres. In one morning hunt 4 people have seen the same bucks on different corners of the lease so on a 400 acre lease those deer will venture across the fence. In fact a lot of the big bucks we kill are shot the first time being seen meaning that those deer came from the neighbors property. And none of our stands or feeders are closer than 250 yards from a neighbors fence.

You are not going to be able to manage genetics on a 400 acre low fence lease by targeting mature deer down to 2 year olds. The does make up half of the genetics so unless you can find a way to tell which doe is giving birth to the bucks with poor genetics and get rid of them then you will always have the same poor genetics. You may also consider feeding free choice from the middle of December when they are stressed the most until the end of February and then switch to your timed protein idea. This will also help the native vegetation time to get established.

I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.
Capt.Bryan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #40
Truckville
Ten Point
 
Truckville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sour Lake, Texas
Hunt In: Hardin & Edwards Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.
Wow, you spend over $3,000 feeding 12 acres. You would be dangerous with a couple hundred acres.
Truckville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #41
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
Not arguing or stirring the pot here but not sure how much of a difference you will see in your strategy. I have hunted all over the state, one lease I am on north of Brady is 650 acres. In one morning hunt 4 people have seen the same bucks on different corners of the lease so on a 400 acre lease those deer will venture across the fence. In fact a lot of the big bucks we kill are shot the first time being seen meaning that those deer came from the neighbors property. And none of our stands or feeders are closer than 250 yards from a neighbors fence.

You are not going to be able to manage genetics on a 400 acre low fence lease by targeting mature deer down to 2 year olds. The does make up half of the genetics so unless you can find a way to tell which doe is giving birth to the bucks with poor genetics and get rid of them then you will always have the same poor genetics. You may also consider feeding free choice from the middle of December when they are stressed the most until the end of February and then switch to your timed protein idea. This will also help the native vegetation time to get established.

I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.
Sorry Capt.Bryan, I may have left out the fact that I'm 400 aces of a 20K ranch and everyone feeds protein Feb. - Oct. Rules of being on the lease. And we are strictly managing for genetics...plenty of TBH'ers on the lease to attest to that.

Everyone on our lease complains about the amount of feed the deer will eat if left free choice...always complaining that their feeders run dry after 2-3 weeks. So, I'm still feeding the same amount as I did when I was free choice, I just use a little different approach in spreading my feed to the deer I want to have it more, that's all.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #42
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point
 
Capt.Bryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Liberty
Hunt In: Brady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntex View Post
Wow, you spend over $3,000 feeding 12 acres. You would be dangerous with a couple hundred acres.
Yes the 3 local feed stores love me. Plus about 2 acres in food plots and all of my wife's shrubs and trees have been eaten down to sticks. Add in another 1000 pounds of rice bran and that's about it.
Capt.Bryan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #43
goldtip5575
Eight Point
 
goldtip5575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Belton, Tx
Hunt In: Kinney Co.
Default

Being as Hammer already received a hater comment challenging him as trying to sell a product rather than share feeding data he had put together, I will answer KDOGS question for him. The Timer and mechanism can be adapted to the Boss Buck Brand Feeder. I have no skin in the game, but I would recommend you PM Hammer if you want more information. Haters are gonna hate.
goldtip5575 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #44
goldtip5575
Eight Point
 
goldtip5575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Belton, Tx
Hunt In: Kinney Co.
Default

I will mention again that in the data hammer shared the same amount of protein is being fed and available to the deer, and the deer have adapted their visitation times to fit when the feed is available. My protein is also being timer fed, and I had 2 mature bucks that were strictly noc-turnal and had not laid eyes on them in the daylight hours in 2 years. The first year on timed protein both deer became regular daylight visitors. They are smart, but also adapt in many cases, especially when their stomachs are involved. My deer like hammers had plenty of feed available to them during the stress periods. Points are also well taken on Free choice all the time, but for many of us, money quickly becomes a limiter. Kuddos to those that have an endless budget.
goldtip5575 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #45
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
Not arguing or stirring the pot here but not sure how much of a difference you will see in your strategy. I have hunted all over the state, one lease I am on north of Brady is 650 acres. In one morning hunt 4 people have seen the same bucks on different corners of the lease so on a 400 acre lease those deer will venture across the fence. In fact a lot of the big bucks we kill are shot the first time being seen meaning that those deer came from the neighbors property. And none of our stands or feeders are closer than 250 yards from a neighbors fence.

You are not going to be able to manage genetics on a 400 acre low fence lease by targeting mature deer down to 2 year olds. The does make up half of the genetics so unless you can find a way to tell which doe is giving birth to the bucks with poor genetics and get rid of them then you will always have the same poor genetics. You may also consider feeding free choice from the middle of December when they are stressed the most until the end of February and then switch to your timed protein idea. This will also help the native vegetation time to get established.

I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.

Im on hammer63's lease. It's 20k acres with around an average of 400 acres per hunter. Everyone feeds protein. Lots of deer. Lots of big deer. 2k #s of protein is gone in a couple weeks. It's expensive, and it's hard to keep the feeder full when it's 6 hours away. I assure you the protein and management program is paying off.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #46
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
This is also my experience. What I tell people all the time is if you want to truly notice a difference it needs to be fed year round and free choice.

Timed protein feeders defeat the use of improving the herd and building bigger racks/bodies.

They are more for hunting reasons.

Deer are naturally moving more at night and feeding more at night, so not allowing them to use your supplemental feed during those times is not helping the herd.

Just my 2 cents from 7-8 years of doing it
I like the OP's plan if that is the most he can do on his budget

I am feeding from 5am to 9 pm. I don't care if does eat (to help with fawns), but I expect bucks to dominate feeders early and late. And fewer losses to coons.
I seldom get to the ranch so I figure a smaller steady diet is better that a glut of food for a short time. But also cause I have limited hunting budget. This feeding ain't for hunting, strictly doing what I can most efficiently for the herd.
I wish I could feed them all they could eat at multiple feeders, but the deer in my area at least get some this tough time of year.

The camera will tell how it is being utilized.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #47
hammer63
Ten Point
 
hammer63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: El Campo, TX
Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
I like the OP's plan if that is the most he can do on his budget

I am feeding from 5am to 9 pm. I don't care if does eat (to help with fawns), but I expect bucks to dominate feeders early and late. And fewer losses to coons.
I seldom get to the ranch so I figure a smaller steady diet is better that a glut of food for a short time. But also cause I have limited hunting budget. This feeding ain't for hunting, strictly doing what I can most efficiently for the herd.
I wish I could feed them all they could eat at multiple feeders, but the deer in my area at least get some this tough time of year.

The camera will tell how it is being utilized.
So, our strategies are just about the same. The only difference I can see is that I limit the mid-day consumption to 40#/day, while your strategy has no limit.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #48
RRagan83
Ten Point
 
RRagan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county
Default

Really like your plan. I run two 2000# free choice feeders and at both of them I have 1000# of cottonseed. I have a problem with turkey hogging the protein at the free choice feeders. I have pics of 50 plus birds at a feeder. I also run a 2000# timed unit which feeds once at sun up 30 mins before sun down and then again at 2am. From the first set of pics the deer are hitting the timed unit harder than the others. My guess is the amount of turkey at the free choice sites. With the free choice feeder I plan on monitoring the consumption and adjusting as need so I always have a little more than they eat left in the trough. If I was you try to set up some cottonseed feeders since you lose very little to non target animals and it's cheaper then pellets. One ither thing I have is a year round water source at each protein site. This is in 700acs a few miles north of Eldorado. Good luck and enjoyed reading your plan.
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #49
joebriles
Ten Point
 
joebriles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Stephens County
Default

I might try this method. Thanks for sharing.
joebriles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #50
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
So, our strategies are just about the same. The only difference I can see is that I limit the mid-day consumption to 40#/day, while your strategy has no limit.
We have relatively low deer density.
Mid day usage I feel will be minimal.
Again, I am picking up the camera this week and we will see
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com