Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default Skid Steer Questions

I'm kicking around the idea of buying a used skid steer. It will be used mainly for shredding, digging post holes, and moving small brush piles. Any recommendations of a reputable place to buy a used one? Also what size range and brand should I be looking at. Machine will be only used a weekend or two a month. For shredding small mesquites would one with tracks be better. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
I'm kicking around the idea of buying a used skid steer. It will be used mainly for shredding, digging post holes, and moving small brush piles. Any recommendations of a reputable place to buy a used one? Also what size range and brand should I be looking at. Machine will be only used a weekend or two a month. For shredding small mesquites would one with tracks be better. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Catepillar makes an awesome skid steer, they have track machines or you can buy aftermarket tracks that go over or around the tires, Bobcat and Case also have really good machines. If you want to get a used machine that has been religiously serviced then I would recommend getting one off their rental fleet, usually low hours and there will be some warranty left most of the time, you will pay more but you will have peace of mind, good luck.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Just make sure to get one with a big enough cab, not just big enough to "get by". I'm 6'3" and after a few hours of use the foot controls become a real pain to work on a small machine.
Smithwr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwr View Post
Just make sure to get one with a big enough cab, not just big enough to "get by". I'm 6'3" and after a few hours of use the foot controls become a real pain to work on a small machine.
Or get one with hand controls
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Ive only ran rented ones so not a whole lot of experience with all the options. But 100% hand controls seems like the way to go.
Smithwr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Hand controls for sure and the bigger the better. If you are going to run a shredder you want to make sure you get enough hydraulic pump to run the shredder you want. You don't have to go with tracks. You can run a conventional skid loader with solid demolition tires and not have to deal with flats.

Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 07-16-2015 at 09:18 AM.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
jmangrem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan, Brewster & Presidio Counties

For what it sounds like you'll be using this thing for I would recommend a ~50 hp, 4-wd front-end loader tractor. It will do everything you've listed and be more versitile for ranch work, especially getting around.
I love a skid steer, don't get me wrong, I've run track and wheel type skid steers quite a bit (definately go 100% hand controls) but for my ranch work I use a JD 5203. Now I wouldn't mind having a skid steer also...
jmangrem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
ladrones
Pope & Young

Do you have a budget in mind?
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
rlwenzel
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I bought mine from Jordan equipment in Gonzales have zero complaints. They have some nice machines
rlwenzel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

What can I be looking to spend on a used one in pretty good shape? $25,000?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

I would love to have a skid steer, but shredding would be much better with tractor and shredder. skid steer will be rough riding, slow, and very dusty. If you go skid steer make sure you have a cab and a/c.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
double lung
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Paul Mott

Cab / AC are a must for shredding applications. Tracks will provide more power, but I think the "flat free" tires would be a better option for you. Smoother ride and allot easier to maintain.

We have had very good luck with the Terex line.
double lung is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Saltgrass Mikerr
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

Hi Soggy Bottom.
I am the parts & service rep for Adobe Equipment. We are the JCB dealer, a leader in skid steer technology.
We rent, have used and new. I would be happy to help you with your questions ! the drivers door, on the side, is a great safety feature.
Attached Images

Saltgrass Mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
Hand controls for sure and the bigger the better. If you are going to run a shredder you want to make sure you get enough hydraulic pump to run the shredder you want. You don't have to go with tracks. You can run a conventional skid loader with solid demolition tires and not have to deal with flats.
Good advice here. We dont have mesquites but we do have cedar. We have our tires foam filled. Never had a flat. We have a 75hp and run a tree shear and shredder easliy. Get an enclosed cab with AC. It will make your life a lot easier in the summer. During the dead heat of summer I love running ours in shorts and flip flops...have spent 5 straight hours doing it without breaking a sweat. By far the most useful, versatile piece of equipment on the ranch. A grapple bucket isnt a necesity to stack with but we love ours.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I would love to have a skid steer, but shredding would be much better with tractor and shredder. skid steer will be rough riding, slow, and very dusty. If you go skid steer make sure you have a cab and a/c.
regular old flat pasture without rocks and I would agree. For our purposes the skid steer shredder handles rocky areas and tight spots a lot better. I can clean a mature oak of small cedar and brush in a couple minutes. With the shredder it would take foever and forget me hand cutting it.
JeffJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #16
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Skid steers are awesome for stacking brush piles, and doing light dirt work. We took one all over our place for a couple months just cleaning up after the dozer. Then had some serious brush piles to burn.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Thanks for all the info. Saltgrass I will be in touch.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A tall tree

If I were going to buy a skid steer I would stay away from the overpriced Caterpillar and John Deere. I would look at ASV skid steers. They made Caterpillar machines for them under contract and now are a better machine and will save you thousands and perform better.
rubydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

I've got very little experience, but I rented a Bobcat to do the clean up when my house was built. The Bobcat had tires rather than tracks and I couldn't get much traction to fill up the bucket with junk - I ended up with 1/3 to 1/2 loads almost every time. The tracks would have given me much better traction and made the job shorter.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
I've got very little experience, but I rented a Bobcat to do the clean up when my house was built. The Bobcat had tires rather than tracks and I couldn't get much traction to fill up the bucket with junk - I ended up with 1/3 to 1/2 loads almost every time. The tracks would have given me much better traction and made the job shorter.
Sounds like you were being timid. I dug a tank at the ranchito with my 82hp turbo diesel cat and I could get the bucket so full and piled with dirt the skid steer was tippy. You gotta hit it harder and get what you are picking up rolling instead of skidding.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
Josh7099
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zavalla, Alto Tx., and anywhere else I can

I've ran Bobcat, Cat, and John Deere and I would take John Deere and Cat any day of the week. Make sure you get tracks and hand controls. Skid steers are so versatile and have so many attachments you can't go wrong.
Josh7099 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #22
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7099 View Post
I've ran Bobcat, Cat, and John Deere and I would take John Deere and Cat any day of the week. Make sure you get tracks and hand controls. Skid steers are so versatile and have so many attachments you can't go wrong.
Nothing runs like a deer, especially when chased by a CAT,
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #23
ladrones
Pope & Young

You could find a used cat 257 at that budget range. Probably in the 1200-1600 hour range. With track and full cab.

Last edited by ladrones; 07-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

I just got an email from United Rental, they are selling off some of their rental fleet.

Hit them up, and see if they have one you're looking for.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top