Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default ATV trailer - axle and hubs?

I want to build a trailer my ATV can tow. Iíve already got the old wheels off my ATV to use, but what should I do for the axle and hubs? Iíd rather not spend big $ when the rest of the trailer is going to be pretty cheap to knock out.

Trailer will be off-road use only, and Iíd prefer it to be the same width as the 4 wheeler. Easy answer is to get a solid rear axle and hubs off a parts dealer, but thatís $300+. Is there an easy/cheap way to do this?

Thx!
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
jgard
Ten Point

Hunt In: east tx

Why now make your own out of a piece of pipe then you could use bearings the that bolt to the frame and the pipe slide through
jgard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard View Post
Why now make your own out of a piece of pipe then you could use bearings the that bolt to the frame and the pipe slide through

Iím all for trying that I just donít know what to buy or how to build it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Northern Tool sells a number of trailer axle components. Iíve used their torsion axles ( $170/pair plus hubs $100/pair) for ATV trailers. Have also bought their axle stubs ($20 each) and provided my own pipe or square tubing for solid axles.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Axle spindles and hubs that have bolt pattern that matches your take offs

https://www.trailerpartsusa.com/prod...arings,SA-1250

An axle under a trailer drug around in the woods is just something to get hung up on or drag
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
txhunter-1
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

For that price, just get a cheap harbor freight trailer and fabricate it to fit you application.
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Bowlife
Four Point

I don’t know how large a trailer you are looking for, but I use an old garden trailer that you can find at Home Depot, Tractor Supply, and other box stores. You can probably find them used pretty cheap. Pulled of the existing axel and put in a solid steel bar from Home Depot the width of my 4-wheeler. It makes it a lot more stable and it rides better at higher speeds. Then I put on some solid rubber wheels from Amazon so I don’t get any flats. Wheels are secured with washers and cotter pins. I can take some pics when I get home. I used it to haul brush and dirt around the house this weekend. It’s main use is for hauling brush in S. Texas.

Last edited by Bowlife; 06-25-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Bowlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Bowlife
Four Point

Last edited by Bowlife; 06-25-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Bowlife
Four Point

Here are the tires/wheels I used. https://www.amazon.com/Marathon-4-00...rch&th=1&psc=1
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Default ATV trailer - axle and hubs?

I appreciate the suggestions so far. It looks like the hard part is coming from wanting to use my existing ATV wheel take offs. They are 4/110 bolt pattern where nearly all 4-lug trailer hubs are 4/4Ē. It was beginning to look like I had to choose between keeping my wheels and having to shell out a couple hundred for an ATV axle and hub assembly or going cheap with a 4/4Ē trailer axle and hub set up but then having to buy wheels and tires.

I found some bolt pattern adapters that will go from 4/4Ē to 4/110. They are more than I think theyíre worth, but are cheaper than my other options. So, I think I can use cheap idler axle stubs and hubs, keep my ATV wheels and tires, and go from there.

Iím sure thereís an easier way to do this but I think I can build a pretty stout trailer that will handle the same terrain my Grizzly can for about $200-$250
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I appreciate the suggestions so far. It looks like the hard part is coming from wanting to use my existing ATV wheel take offs. They are 4/110 bolt pattern where nearly all 4-lug trailer hubs are 4/4Ē. It was beginning to look like I had to choose between keeping my wheels and having to shell out a couple hundred for an ATV axle and hub assembly or going cheap with a 4/4Ē trailer axle and hub set up but then having to buy wheels and tires.

I found some bolt pattern adapters that will go from 4/4Ē to 4/110. They are more than I think theyíre worth, but are cheaper than my other options. So, I think I can use cheap idler axle stubs and hubs, keep my ATV wheels and tires, and go from there.

Iím sure thereís an easier way to do this but I think I can build a pretty stout trailer that will handle the same terrain my Grizzly can for about $200-$250

Following closely !! Thanks for the help man.
Texas8point is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Kevin Warren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corrigan

Build your own. I used these axle stubs. I welded a piece of square tubing between. I did not use springs but it works great. Northern Tool

Name:  axle.PNG
Views: 185
Size:  116.8 KB

Name:  hub.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  39.2 KB
Kevin Warren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

they sell adaptors I think on highlifter etc for 4x4 to 4x110 etc... OR cut a plate with a 4x4 pattern and bolt up , then drill a 4/110 pattern and bolt wheel up to it
Big_gun is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Well I am building one as well and I found a simple way .. CL a boat trailer or something like that

I bought a boat trailer for 150 dollars there is the parts . Some are very narrow to start with . ITs a base with common parts and even has a winch You can easily narrow it and then add some wood or expanded steel for the deck .

Just a thought I looked at building one from parts and it was going to cost more than I felt I needed

Here is one that is 50 wide which is what my 700 grizzly is as well . just an example but with a small amount of work you have a trailer that is sturdy . Good luck post up the pics of what you build .

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bo...628651287.html
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Warren View Post
Build your own. I used these axle stubs. I welded a piece of square tubing between. I did not use springs but it works great. Northern Tool

Attachment 913487

Attachment 913488

I was curious about springs. Do you wish youíd put them on or is it fine as is? I will be using the trailer in fairly rocky/mountain areas, mostly on beat up washed out rocky logging roads but in typical east Texas rutted muddy areas too. I donít want it sitting up too high to bounce around but I also donít want it so rigid it doesnít ride right
Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
Kevin Warren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corrigan

Quote:
I was curious about springs. Do you wish youíd put them on or is it fine as is? I will be using the trailer in fairly rocky/mountain areas, mostly on beat up washed out rocky logging roads but in typical east Texas rutted muddy areas too. I donít want it sitting up too high to bounce around but I also donít want it so rigid it doesnít ride right
I used old lawn mower wheels and tires and it works great behind my 4 wheeler. It does bounce a little but really not bad at all.

Name:  PICT0002.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  WGI_0007.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  284.6 KB
Kevin Warren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Quote:
I used the torsion axles on three trailers and used a straight axle on one. All are setup with ATV tires. The ATV tires and geometry between the load and the axle/tires seems to have more influence on how they ride over the rocks than springs/no springs. We keep the air pressure pretty low in the tires to help dampen the bouncing. Keeping the load as low as possible helps the ride. Also, keeping a load on the trailer helps. When we go to put out corn we load 600-800 lbs and go to the most distant feeder so we have the largest load for the bulk of the trip.

Some of the other members have tried standard trailer tires with springs. They donít usually make it through the first weekend.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top