Need hog trap designs or plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need hog trap designs or plans

I got a new welder for Christmas and want to build some hog traps and would appreciate any suggestions, pictures or plans of anyones trap. Thanks in advance for your help.

I built mine 4'x4'x8' out of 1-1/2 ga tubing. I don't have any pics but will take some when I go to the lease and post them. My trap is light,one person can load it in a truck, which is why I chain it to a tree wherever it gets used. It has a swing door with a spring clamp connected to the trip wire. Once you build a hog trap you will know why they are expensive to buy, there is quite a bit of work in them.

Comment

Thanks slacker. We had a couple where the door was propped up with a small stick and would fall down when tripped. The guy moved away and took the traps so we are going to try to build them like that, I think. I was just not sure of the deminsions and what size to make them. Thanks for the input and I look forward to the pics.

Comment

plans

Just piddlin...I drew up these plans real quik. There is one similar on our lease, but the doors are too big and all we catch is deer in it.

This is also not how we build ours. We make ours out of rubber coated welded wire.

Since you want to weld, I thought this would be a good option for you.

I would make it 8'Lx4'Wx3'H. Use cattle panels for sides, walls and floor.

Make the blue floor out of thin plate, so it will pivot.

The door opening should be just big enuff for a descent size hawg to enter. No bigger! Make door stops, so the doors will meet at a 45* angle. That way, it will progressively catch more pigs, once it has tripped.

Put pulleys above the trip plate and where the doors meet. Use a piece of rebar as a door prop, so it will hold the doors open at a 90* angle. The rebar should dangle from the trip wire.

When the pig steps on the plate, it should pull the rebar easily from betwixt the doors. Use screen door springs on the doors, so that they gently close the doors upon bein tripped. You dont want the springs so tite that the door slams shut! This may scare the other pigs in the area off.

Make sure to tie wire the doors in the open position when you are not trappin. That way, they can go in and out of the trap, without getting caught and die-ing of starvation or lack of water. If ya aint gonna runn it twicet a day.....dont set it!

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	web03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	23818078
        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I built a trap just like the one above a while back and since sold it so I can't provide pics.
          What I did extra was add wheels to it. I got hte wheels and tractor pins from tractor supply, they have the pneumatic wheels for $10 with I think a 5/8" axle hole.
          You will need to get pte big pin that the wheel will slide on and has a hole on the end for a 3 pt cotter pin. The big pin can just weld on under side on both sides and slide wheels on when you need to move it.

I apologize if I did not paint a good enough picture, I am even confused now.

Comment

Nice! Thanks Joey, thats what I had in mind and I like the idea of the wheels on it too BigIron. The last ones we had, we had to have two guys move it even a little ways. Wheels will make it more mobile. I Googled hog traps yesterday and found a few like you are drawing Joey. The only dif was the release mechanism (sp). I am going to get the materials today. Look out porkers!

Comment

Hope you catch some fatties

Comment

Try texasboars.com . Lots of good info.

Comment

a cheap way out is get some cattle panels and t-posts drive the t posts in a circle how ever big you need or want it to be then put the cattle panels on the inside wire them to the t posts with heavy gauge wire then overlap the last one with the first one ont the inside about 2 feet put you some corn in it when they root around the outside they will hit the overlapped door nd can go in but when they get in the door closes back then they cant get out make sure you use plenty of t posts aroun the circle

Comment

Really check out Texasboars.com they will help you out more than any website

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys. I,m going to check out Texasboars.com now. Bought some 16'X4' panels yesterday. I'll post pics as I start to go along.

Comment

Originally posted by TimHicks View Post
                        Really check out Texasboars.com they will help you out more than any website
                        This

Comment

I wonder if he caught any in the last 11 1/2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                            I wonder if he caught any in the last 11 1/2 years?

Comment

lots of great ideas here

You ought to look at some of the pig trap designs here:

Feral hogs are a non-native animal found across the state of Texas. The management techniques on this site provide tools for land managers.

Corral traps are the best and will catch the largest number. Traps that fit in the bed of a truck are only good for one or two at a time, but are more mobile.

Here is a listing of publications that have trap designs.

publications about feral hogs that may be useful for understanding the species and managing the damage they cause

Comment

Working...
                              X