Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #51
oldtestamentman
Six Point

Hunt In: South

12 Echo 3305.
After a big job say 1 weekend of mesquite, go buy a new air filter and a new chain. Don't mess around with sharpening blades or cleaning filters. Man, my Echo cuts like a champ - even the thick mesquite goes down like paper.

Spend the money for a new sprocket about once every two years as well.

New chain and filter = easy day!
oldtestamentman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #52
scott123456789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX

I live on a couple acres so every once in a while I’ll need a saw to tackle a project. I had a Husqvarna that leaked and ended up selling it. I was ready to jump into a stihl but a few issues made me go back to Husqvarna.

First of all was cost. I ran down a 20” 50cc saw for $279 on Amazon. The comparable Stihl would be $400.
2nd would be the kill switch/choke setup is very ackward on the stihl. Yes you can get used to it but the Husqvarna one lever design is so much more user friendly.
Now the 455 and 460 series with the dual lever is a wash against the stihl button setup.
3rd if you go with an easy start saw, the Husqvarna pull seems more natural than the stihl.
Finally, chains and bars are cheaper on my experience.
scott123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #53
txhunter90
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumrw View Post
More so information for others. "Nightmare" just seemed a little dramatic.

Sorry you had a bad experience. My experience and opinion are that Husky's are great saws, and would recommend them in a heart beat to the OP. Multiple perspectives is always a good thing, right?
Yes more information should have been given. But, I consider it a nightmare as frustrated as they made me lol.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #54
breadman
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlmg View Post
Stihl
stihl !! have two and one is 17 years old and has been worked HARD and it doesn't miss a lick only bought another one cause I found a great deal , also the CORN GAS doesn't bother it at all .
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #55
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
WMD model?

Its a regular 391 and I run a 25'' skip chain and bar on it. most people will tell you what works for them but don't have pics to prove it. Like I said I'm no professional, don't do it as a side job, but my stihls have always and continue to work circles around other brands I've owned and have felled some big sticks.
Weapon of Mass Destruction
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #56
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Dolmar is my favorite saw, but I'm not much of a mechanic and unfortunately parts/service are harder to come by.

Echo, Husq, Stihl-all a matter of personal preference. I've chosen Stihl simply because of the quality of dealer and service. There is a BIG difference in a lawnmower shop and a saw shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #57
txhunter-1
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Echo or Stihl. I own a couple of Echo's in several sizes and prefer Echo. One is 25 years old and still cutting. They all perform well and you cant go wrong with either, spend the extra amount and get the largest size motor and bar to do the job, it will be a good investment down the road.
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #58
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

The best chainsaw is the one that starts when you need it! I have had my Stihl for 15 years. In that time, my uncle has bought several price chainsaws that quit or broke. By a Stihl from a dealer who will service it, and you won't regret it.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #59
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Weapon of Mass Destruction
lol gotcha, they will get you knee deep in serious work before you know it!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #60
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Stihl!
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #61
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

I just bought an echo today.

My shop had all echo chainsaws discounted 20% this week. I believe I heard them mention something about a rebate they get through echo. You may call a local dealer and see if they’re offering the same promotion.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #62
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

I’ve had a Stihl for 20+ years and it’s still running strong, I’m hard on equipment and cut a ton of wood with it. I thought it spit the bit last year but a new carburetor kit brought it back to life. I have switched to the ethanol free gas mix, so it’s back to a 4 pull start.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #63
clintbodie
Six Point

I bought a brand new echo timberwolf (20") off Craigslist last year for $225. One of my best deals in a long time, it's awesome! I've had an echo trimmer and blower for 4-5 yrs and they never act up!
clintbodie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #64
FIRE59
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

My vote is STIHL as well. We run them on all our fire apparatus for a reason. they are reliable and dome some work!!
FIRE59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #65
knighttime
Ten Point

Thanks for the responses guys...

Stopped in at Atwood’s today and luckily they have all three but limited models of huskies and a boat ton of stihls. With that being said I could buy an echo CS 490 with the 50cc engine for the same price as a stihl MS 251 which has the 45cc engine. Plus a dealer in Sulphur springs has the dealer days sale tomorrow and I could get 20% off. I know everyone swears by stihl but I’m leaning towards the echo because it seems to get good reviews and is more saw for cheaper.
knighttime is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #66
knighttime
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
its not a million dollar question...its been asked on here almost as much as is Whataburger better than "x fast food joint"..oh look a search button. that being said, years ago I would have said stihl but after several that lasted a year and bs from stihl we have been using husqy with no issues. also picked up a few smaller echos and no issues. this has been replicated by me, y dad and family up north that cuts a ton of wood

Thanks for contributing, although it took you several sentence to contribute. I read about 10 threads on chainsaws and brands, still didn’t get the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #67
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Husqvarna in the 20". It got heavy for me and gave it to my TBH son for use at the lease, he's the firewood cutter, lol! I also have several different STIHL machines and they are great as well, but not in the chain saws. Over the years I've had several different brands of saws, they ALL will throw chains so my criteria when I finally bought the Rancher was ease of start and ease of changing the chains.

STIHL may be just as good or better but the Husky is a wood eating demon. Only gripe I have with the STIHLS is the repair shop here in Granbury when you need fixing..not pleased with the service.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #68
sasqy
Eight Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

Stihl stihl stihl
Unless you want it to fall apart or never stay running,then go with some other brand!!!
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #69
Louis
Eight Point

Stihl is my choice. Little more pricey but worth it. Echo is good also.have used both but prefer the stihl. Get one with an 18 or 20" bar and can do anything u want
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #70
lsmith
Eight Point

Hunt In: Christoval, Tx

I just bought an echo cs490 a few weeks ago...based on a recommendation from a stihl salesman. He sells stihls but uses echos.... echo warranty is better and he said the new stihls are more problem prone than the old ones. I think either of the 3 are fine if you feed them good fuel....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #71
TimA
Six Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

You have two choices. Stihl or stihl.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #72
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I swore by Echo for years. About the time HD started carrying them they went to crap. After 2 upper end Echo weedeaters and a limb saw all had early deaths I switched to Stihl and have been much happier.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #73
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoak77 View Post
Echo
All the way
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #74
Abctx
Six Point

Echo cs490. Weighs less than a Stihl ms271. Costs less than an ms271. Has a magnesium case, unlike the plastic of a ms271.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #75
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

My STIHL is over 20 and cleared untold acre Cedar in HC and plenty pine in E Tex..Bout all Is pull rope a couple times and go to work..I got about 6 blades and swap when getting dull..
I do have a Stihl Weed eater that is sorry as they come and it only 2y old it spent more time on warranty repair than I want to count...Found out why its one that was made in CHINA...so beware...not sure if any ChainSaws are made there Please check before you buy...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #76
Buck Owens
Nubbin' Buck

I’m in the business. I own a tree service. The Stihl 261C will be your best bet. It’s a “pro” saw meaning it’s built better but costs more. Not too big not too small. DO NOT MAX OUT THE BAR LENGTH! You know what they say about a long bar ��. More weight and ergonomically harder to handle. Also you will increase the efficiency of your saw with a smaller bar (not blade Blades are for knifes). 18”-20” should be fine.
Buck Owens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #77
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Owens View Post
I’m in the business. I own a tree service. The Stihl 261C will be your best bet. It’s a “pro” saw meaning it’s built better but costs more. Not too big not too small. DO NOT MAX OUT THE BAR LENGTH! You know what they say about a long bar . More weight and ergonomically harder to handle. Also you will increase the efficiency of your saw with a smaller bar (not blade Blades are for knifes). 18”-20” should be fine.

Where are you located?
I always have people asking me to recommend a tree service

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #78
IvoryRoot
Six Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Stihl
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #79
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post

I'm no professional but my stihl eats some lumber!
I have a 391 as well. It replaced my 250 when I moved back to east Texas. The 250 was ok for small jobs but any large trees that fell on a fence or needed cutting around my families place, the 250 just couldn't handle it as well as I'd like to. I had a 44 that I dug out of my grandmas chainsaw grave yard and it ran awesome after a little work. Sadly someone stole it. But I am really impressed with my 391, doesn't cut like the old 44, but I cut an big post oak down at my moms a few weeks ago and it had no issues.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #80
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, Kimble and Irion counties

Stihl hands down. I’ve used echo’s and had issues when starting them. But my stihl’s have always cranked right up.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #81
Buck Owens
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Where are you located?
I always have people asking me to recommend a tree service

Spring/ Tomball.
Buck Owens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #82
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Did a lot of chainsaw research. Came down to Echo and Stihl. Got a Stihl. Still getting to know it-starting can be tricky. Cuts like crazy.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #83
barnett77859
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elliott

To me if you don't take the time to get the right gas mixture for the saw it don't matter witch one you buy after a few months of setting bad news aint gona run right been there
to many times. I now buy the premixed gas my saw is a stihl second one I have owned
always starts right up but nothing to do with the saw brand its the gas mixture.
barnett77859 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #84
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #85
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Colorado

Stihl.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #86
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Spring/ Tomball.
Theres a TBH'er that needs a Live Oak removed from his back yard up your way. I won a tree service too, but I'm down in Richmond / Sugar Land area. Send .e a text and I'll forward you his info if you're interested in giving him a estimate. 832 six 5 1 nine 686
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #87
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
I’m in the business. I own a tree service. The Stihl 261C will be your best bet. It’s a “pro” saw meaning it’s built better but costs more. Not too big not too small. DO NOT MAX OUT THE BAR LENGTH! You know what they say about a long bar ��. More weight and ergonomically harder to handle. Also you will increase the efficiency of your saw with a smaller bar (not blade Blades are for knifes). 18”-20” should be fine.
I have this same saw and am also in the business. Between my Power Primers and the ms261, these are used the most. The commercial "Pro" saw Stihls will last you many, many years.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #88
oldtestamentman
Six Point

Stihl or Echo.
Just get a new air filter and blade after a major job.
Makes all the difference in the world...
Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #89
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can
Default Let's talk Chainsaws!!

Here is what I used to clear 140x100ish area. Saw ran from full to empty everytime, that was the only time it got to cool off. 16” chain. Sucker ate wood. Biggest cut was about a 24” diameter white oak

Name:  IMG_0765.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  176.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1077.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  148.1 KB

TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #90
overcomer401965
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Have both husky and stihl. Both are good saws. My 395 xpg is flat out mean. 8' mesquite slabs 24" wide are hard on any of them. Learn to tune them and proper fuel mixture and they will last a long time. Dont let the epa tell you what your mixture should be either.
overcomer401965 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #91
grinningmule
Four Point

Every piece of 2 cycle power equipment I own is Husqvarna including 21 yo and 12 yo chainsaws, pole saw, brush cutter and blower. The pole saw and brush cutter are pro models. Now granted if I made my living with them I would either own nothing but xp series saws and pro quality everything else or a complete line of Stihl. I have an old Stihl chainsaw that belonged to my dad that is over 25 yo that still cranks on 2nd pull. For homeowner use I'll continue to buy Husqvarna until they give me a reason not to...
grinningmule is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #92
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

Whatever you get make sure you use the premixed fuel. I have a Stihl MS 290 and use their fuel religiously. what a beast, 2 pulls at most and I'm cutting wood. If I am going to use a whole gallon I use the Stihl oil and mix and make sure I run some of the premixed through it before putting it up. Good luck, if Daniel Boone had a chain saw who knows what the cabins would have looked like. Oh if you get a pole saw, prepare yourself for lots of work picking up limbs. You will have a bunch cut before you know it.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #93
Ruttin&Struttin
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Echo or Stihl. I own both. Usually use the Echo. The Stihl is a great saw just like the Echo more. Either will treat you well as long as you use the right fuel and keep you chain sharp.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #94
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

biggest thing i have noticed is keeping good fuel in them. I stopped mixing my own and started using the Stihl high dollar premix and I never have any issues getting one to start or gumming up from sitting.
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #95
oldtestamentman
Six Point

Always go with the premix! It rocks! Ethanol is the enemy!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #96
Tarleton Jake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, and Comfort TEXAS

I picked up a new Stihl Farm Boss this past year, and it’s a beast for its size. Fires up with no issues and runs great. I’ve cut up multiple mature oaks with it in the last 6 months and it chews through everything without issue.

Very happy that I decided to go the Stihl route.

Jake
Tarleton Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #97
knighttime
Ten Point

Does it not bother anyone that stihl’s warranty is one year to echo’s 5?!?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #98
Tarleton Jake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, and Comfort TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighttime View Post
Does it not bother anyone that stihl’s warranty is one year to echo’s 5?!?
Nope, doesn’t bother me one bit. If you want an Echo though, get the Echo
Tarleton Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #99
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Love our echoes got 2 cs 590s and a couple smaller ones that we use pretty much every day and put them through hell. I guess I need to start taking pics of every tree we cut down so I have proof of what it can do
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #100
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I have a Stihl 260 pro & been a fantastic product
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top