Dog got bit by rattlesnake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog got bit by rattlesnake

Sunday afternoon my dog was bit on the nose and lip. Never been through this before. He was swelling up pretty bad when we got to the vet's. He got a steroid shot and an antibiotic and we were sent on our way. Been giving him Benadryl and Tylenol. A friend gave me some antibiotics for him today. The swelling is almost gone on his nose and his neck is just slightly swollen now. He still acts like he's in pain though. Wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for still or is he about out of the woods on this deal? Ended up killing 8 rattlers and missing 3 more that were all under the same stack of tin he walked across when he got bit.

Dang, hope all goes well brother. .

Comment

Took my dog about a week then good to go

Comment

Signs of infection. The tissue around that bite is going to become necrotic. Depending on how much venom he got is going to determine how back the aftermath is. I've seen some pretty gnarly ones and some that were surprisingly minimal.

Comment

He'll be okay. A buddy of mine has had alot of dogs get bit. He doesn't take them to the vet and they do just fine.

Comment

Had a border collie once that got bit in the face . And man his head swelled as big as a pit bulls . We did do anything to him and a week later he was good to go . He looked pretty funny with that big head and little body .

Comment

My mini Aussie is getting the snake shot here at our vet in Palacios in 2 weeks. Is supposed to help the dog get thru the snakebite easier. 25 bucks for the shot. Hope I don't need it but never know.

Comment

Sorry to hear your dog got bit J.B.

I have heard that a bite to the head is less severe than bites to other parts of the upper body.

I hope he gets well soon.

Comment

Hope your dog makes a full recovery.

Comment

Tylenol can kill dogs

Comment

Remarkably, dogs can handle a snakebite better than we can. It sounds like you're doing everything right for him I don't know about the Tylenol being poisonous to dogs thing. You better check that out though. Your dog should be fine in a few days.

Comment

My father was a Vet he always told people never give a dog Tylenol it can shut down the liver.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                          Tylenol can kill dogs
                          This. Give him asprin/ or motrin

Comment

I've had 2 different labs get hit by snakes several times. They looked funny for a few days but never slowed them down.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              This. Give him asprin/ or motrin
                              DONT GIVE A DOG MOTRIN/IBUPROFEN! I almost learned the hard way. It turns to poison in them and can be fatal. I believe aspirin is ok. I had a dog get bit by a copperhead on the face and was trying to ease his pain and only found out after the fact that the ibuprofen had a better chance of killing him than the snake bite
                              Last edited by Pineywoods; 04-07-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X