I drew my first turkey hunt! Lake Allen Henry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drew my first turkey hunt! Lake Allen Henry

As said, I drew my first turkey hunt here in Lubbock, Tx at Lake Allen Henry. I just moved here a year ago so this will be my first hunt in West Texas. This is actually my first turkey hunt as well. I'll say I'm not prepared yet but I have a few weeks (April 8 & 9) is the weekend of my hunt. I'm reading and watching videos about everything I can.

Quick question: If you were to take any call or something to give me more of an advantage, decoy or what have you, what would it be? Im thinking about buying a call but I dont have any experience behind this. Thanks fellas!!

Take a hen decoy made by turkey thug and get one of the hand calls

Comment

If you need help with a caller let me know. I would be glad to call one in for you. I have a great pop up for turkey hunting as well.

Comment

Congrats on the draw

Comment

First thing I would carry is a locator call like a crow call/owl call. 9/10 if there's turkeys in the area, I can locate them on the roost by using this. All this does is shock gobble the toms and help you pinpoint an area they're in. Second would be a slate call or box. Both are the easier calls to use. Then if you have room, a hen decoy would be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
            If you need help with a caller let me know. I would be glad to call one in for you. I have a great pop up for turkey hunting as well.
            Thanks man. I would take you up on the calling but my fiancée also drew and she loves to turkey hunt. I don't think we can bring anybody else. I also have a good pop up I'll be setting up that morning.

Comment

Originally posted by BWOOD87 View Post
              First thing I would carry is a locator call like a crow call/owl call. 9/10 if there's turkeys in the area, I can locate them on the roost by using this. All this does is shock gobble the toms and help you pinpoint an area they're in. Second would be a slate call or box. Both are the easier calls to use. Then if you have room, a hen decoy would be beneficial.
              Thanks for the info man. I'm going to the Cabelas Outpost here in Lubbock this weekend and check the inventory they have.

Comment

I checked my cameras at the lease today (right by the lake). Lots of turkeys moving. Most seem to be near the river. Good luck to you.

Comment

Good luck with the hunt, post updates.

Comment

I checked my cameras at the lease today (right by the lake). Lots of turkeys moving. Most seem to be near the river. Good luck to you.

Good to hear and thanks. Unfortunately Ms. Diane Selby was telling me she hasnt seen many turkeys lately. I am assigned to the north half of the wma. Are you talking about the Brazos river? I think thats not in the area I'll be in...She might be talking about that half specifically though.

Comment

Sweet. Congrats. I'll be following. Didn't know lubbock had a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by TxCreedXs View Post
                        Good to hear and thanks. Unfortunately Ms. Diane Selby was telling me she hasnt seen many turkeys lately. I am assigned to the north half of the wma. Are you talking about the Brazos river? I think thats not in the area I'll be in...She might be talking about that half specifically though.
                        Yes the brazos. Saw two great gobblers today.

Comment

Can u hunt the Brazos publicly

Comment

Yes the brazos. Saw two great gobblers today.
                            Hopefully they move further north!

Comment

Originally posted by Oneal433 View Post
                              Can u hunt the Brazos publicly
                              Not in garza county.

Comment

Working...
                              X