Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post!

Comment

We left after Monday evenings hunt. Friday and Monday me and my brother literally saw nothing. Saturday I got a shot at a doe and I'm 90% positive I stuck her but we couldn't find any blood or anything after following her exit trail.

We had a good time and met some cool people. We elected to skip the last day so we could get back home as my brother who did all the driving had to make another 6 hour road trip the next morning after getting home! Congrats to everyone who had success! It was our first trip down there and we had fun. Learned a lot so future hunts may be different. I can tell you that internet scouting and google earth only help to a certain extent. If I could've accessed the area I wanted to setup in, I feel things may have gone differently but that area was WAAAY thicker in real life than it looked on the screen!

I really hope to draw a rifle hunt there in the future!!! We saw plenty of Nilgai but couldn't get anything in range....

Also, we hunted unit 5. To the other guy that was out there near the twins! Hit me up, I'd like to make a connection if you ever wanna go duck hunting with us or anything...

Comment

Anyone setting up today, let me know. There is couple good spots I saw that we're vacant this morning

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
          Anyone setting up today, let me know. There is couple good spots I saw that we're vacant this morning

Gemini, if you have any suggestions I'll take em! I'm a rookie. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I really enjoyed hunting there for the first time this year but it was also the toughest hunt I've ever experienced. I only got one full day of hunting due to things like flat tires, forgetting equipment at motel, losing equipment, equipment breaking, stomach problems, etc. I think I learned that "Laguna Atascosa" roughly translated means "HUNT FROM HELL"! Hope to do it again next year.

I want to say a huge thank you to Mary and anyone else that recommended permethrin. You can get this stuff at walmart and it works GREAT! I applied it each night to the clothes I would wear the next day and never saw or got bitten by a single tick or chigger. It's odorless and I would spray down with scent killer each morning before hunting as well. Talked to alot of people that got tore up by ticks and chiggers or had em crawling on their clothes.

My other advice to anyone new there is slime your bike and/or trailer/cart tires and then slime them some more. You cant have too much of that stuff in your tires to protect you from flats.

Next stops, James Daughtrey WMA and Balcones Canyonlands WR.

Comment

Pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                Gemini, if you have any suggestions I'll take em! I'm a rookie. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
                Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post

Hey gemini, just got here to set up, same spot as last year

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
                    Hey gemini, just got here to set up, same spot as last year
                    Cool. I'm heading back that way. I lost my ubolts to connect my ring to the tripod legs. Had to buy new ones in port Isabel.

Comment

Good luck guys on the next hunt! Will be checking in to see y'all's success (Or lack thereof if you're like most of the hunters). LOL

Comment

I hope he's still around.

Comment

Finally some photos of the cow nilgai. Laguna was tougher this year due to overcrowding, the first couple days being hot and some missed shots. I missed a cow the first morning, I tried to thread an arrow between limbs and hit the branches, clean miss but when she ran I saw here bleeding. They other guys watching from 80 yards away indicated that she was already bleeding on opposite side before my shot, It looked high and back, 3rd day I had a bull at 30 yards, let one fly and again and heard the sound of hitting a limb, again! Clean miss, bent broadhead. Lucky bull. Actually glad I missed, that would have been a LONG night. I knew I was in a good area after that evening. I was within range of nilgai and deer all afternoon. I made the long trip back the next morning confident, got up in the tree and had 2 bucks come by within 30 yards, a few does and fawns the same but I was there for a nilgai. I saw several nilgai move through out of range, had another cow and calf at 30yds with no shot. I got down at noon to scout a closer spot to set for the East wind. While searching, I heard a UTV and dog whistle and knew this may spook game towards me so I hunkered down under shade between a couple of trees, removed orange, knocked an arrow and got the range finder handy. I saw the color of cows through brush and watched through binoculars, scanned right and was surprised by a big buck at 40yds looking on. The cows worked closer, I quickly made a text which about got me busted as the lead cow noticed me, I still cussing under my breath as I figured I was busted. She flicked her tail and continued forward, a calf and 2 more cows behind. I ranged, drew back and got busted by the 2nd cow, hurried and centered on the first cow quartering away and let it loose. Looked good, she ran north and hit the brush. I waited 2 hours, tracked a blood trail that kept me worried until I reached the boundary of the refuge where she ran. I thought she was gone, but peered out into an open field and there she laid! Shot was at 12:55pm, with 3 us it took til dark to get her 3/4 mile to the road. It sucked. We had vehicle come in after dark to take back to hunter check station. The volunteers (John and his family) at the check station this year were some great people, extremely courteous and supportive. I tipped them for help as they did not have to come. It was an awesome experience. I don't think I'll ever shoot at a nilgai that far into the refuge for a long time. The amount of work is far more than a deer. I'm excited to cook the nilgai and taste it many ways. Glad to have been sucessful again this year at LANWR. Good luck to the next group. I'll be tuned in! The Laguna Master is returning! [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ Awesome.

Comment

Bad *** man. Congrats.

Comment

She's a beaut. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X