How to Adjust Cam Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replaced the mods on my bow to change the DL, after I did that, I checked the cam timing and it is off.

How do I adjust the timing? Twist the cable? Is it just trial and error?

Also, and I think this is related to the timing, since I did this the bow wants to spring forward while at full draw, much easier than before I adjusted. It's like the valley is very small and is constantly wanting to let down.

I have two identical bows, both Elite E35, one is 60# and the new one is 70#, they are identical so I know what the valley should feel like.

Also, prior to changing mods the max draw weight was 70# and now it is 69#.

Thanks for any help.

is timing off or cam sync. two different things. if cams are not hitting at the same time that is sync. so you twist the cable on the cam hitting first. this will pull it back and then match to the other. this will cause nock high/low problems

Comment

Best thing with elites is to make sure they are 1) in factory spec 2) making peak weight usually 2#’s north is where you get the big valley and high let-off 3)verify the draw length.

After that’s all in order set the sync. Which ever draw stop is hitting first add twists into the cable in the opposite Cam until they hit at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure if I’m using the terminology correctly, but when I put the bow on my draw board, the holes in the cams are not in time with each other.

The ATA dimensions is in spec, but the draw weight is not even hitting the spec weight of 70#, out of the box it only maxed out at 70#, not 72# as I would have expected.

Comment

I'm not a bow tech, but the few times I've set my cam timing on my Elites by trial and error. See the TechManual for additional information.

Comment

Don’t use the dots, use the draw stops.
            The bow will shoot fine at 70# peak weight but if you add a couple of twists in each cable you should get close to 72 and get the big Elite let off everybody likes. I run my stops all the way out so I get the most valley but that’s just how I like my Elites.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              Don’t use the dots, use the draw stops.
              The bow will shoot fine at 70# peak weight but if you add a couple of twists in each cable you should get close to 72 and get the big Elite let off everybody likes. I run my stops all the way out so I get the most valley but that’s just how I like my Elites.

Yeah, I’m not getting that let off like in my other bow, you have to work to keep it drawn. If I back my draw stops all the way to the back of their travel the top is hitting about 1/4” or more before the bottom one.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                Yeah, I’m not getting that let off like in my other bow, you have to work to keep it drawn. If I back my draw stops all the way to the back of their travel the top is hitting about 1/4” or more before the bottom one.

Start with 2 twists on the bottom cam. Should get you pretty close.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the help!

Comment

Always works the outboard connections on the control cables when making adjustments, here is a pic of it.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                      Always works the outboard connections on the control cables when making adjustments, here is a pic of it.

So I don’t twist both cables, just the one?

Comment

So I don’t twist both cables, just the one?

Twist both to get the draw weight up. When you are good there then add/take away twists on the outboard cable to adjust cam sync. Each cam has a post for the string, one for the in board cable and one for the outboard. Only makes adjustment to the outboard cable post not the inboard .

Comment

Top is hitting first.

Comment

If my top cam on my bow was hitting before my bottom cam, I’d put twists in the cable going to my top cam, to slow it down to match the bottom cam during draw cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              If my top cam on my bow was hitting before my bottom cam, I’d put twists in the cable going to my top cam, to slow it down to match the bottom cam during draw cycle.
                              Yes me to

Comment

Working...
                              X