280 ackley pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 ackley pressure

I have a wto 280ai 1:9 26” .311neck rifle shoots 140ab into 1hole @100yds. I’ve been playing with reloader 26 and 160ab fed215 and 59.3gr rl26 nosler brass. They shoot great but I’m not sure if it’s actually safe. I’m consistently getting ring marks on case heads from stretching I’m assuming. I will get pics of brass body this was new brass. What do these primers say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything looks good to me. I dont dre any brass flow.into ejector port.and you still have radius on primer cup.

Comment

Primers look flat to me.

Comment

Here's a comparison & these are running warm...I'm shooting 210m's with A LOT of N165 but on the light end of the bullet window with 120's. I would think the 215's have a thicker cup but really not certain.

My gun was built by Jim Borden in 1994 & has a 311 neck oddly enough. I find the Nosler brass a bit soft & check my cases after the min FL size by chambering them with 'the firing pin assembly removed' to check the bounce back. Once I start to feel some slight resistance when closing the bolt, I mark them with a sharpie & discard after shooting. If I get what I consider significant resistance, I do not close the bolt completely & back out as the lugs are rubbing & toss the round.

Also pay attn to how easily the new primers seat. I don't really trust primer conditions & how this brass stretches. Just my experience.
        Attached Files

Comment

Primers look a little flat and the protrusion around the firing pin indentation isn't good but I wouldn't call it unsafe, just hot. The stretch marks is what would concern me, you don't want a case head separation. Excessive headspace can cause your primers to look like that so it may not even be a pressure issue.

If it were me, I would load up some 90% loads with the bullet slightly into the lands and get some cases fireformed to your chamber. Don't bump the shoulder back and try your load again to see what the results are. Just because you bought AI brass doesn't mean it matches the AI reamer that they used.

Comment

I had something similar with RL26, primer pockets will loosen up. Your gonna have to back off some. Maybe a .5 grain will get rid of the stretch and primer flowback.

Comment

Would be interesting to know what the shoulder measurement is on the new brass as compared to a piece of once fired. I don't know why the SAAMI version strayed so far from Ackley's original design, as he had it right in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                Would be interesting to know what the shoulder measurement is on the new brass as compared to a piece of once fired. I don't know why the SAAMI version strayed so far from Ackley's original design, as he had it right in my opinion.

My new cases are 2.520 in length and .465 at head where the ring would be. Once fired is stretching case length by .001- .002 and measuring .470-.471 consistently where the ring marks are.

Comment

280 ackley pressure

This might be a little hard to see but after removing several primera they are all digging slightly into the brass. You may be able to see a slight mushroom effect on the outside of the primer edge

Other then that shoots very accurately bolt is easy to open and nothing feels off. Other then much added recoil but I thought it might’ve been normal considering I went from 140’s to 160’s

I wish my magnetospeed would’ve worked but I didn’t put new batteries in it.

Last edited by Txarrowhunter; 10-22-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                    My new cases are 2.520 in length and .465 at head where the ring would be. Once fired is stretching case length by .001- .002 and measuring .470-.471 consistently where the ring marks are.

Was referring to the distance to the datum line on the shoulder, not the overall length of the case.

Comment

They look a little flat, but I think you're just running hot. I have several rifles that I load for that do the very same thing. I don't see any ejector marks either which is one of the first things I look for.

I'd get the chrono working and go back and see what your velocity is.

Also, If your shooting one hole groups with the 140, why try the 160's?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        They look a little flat, but I think you're just running hot. I have several rifles that I load for that do the very same thing. I don't see any ejector marks either which is one of the first things I look for.

I'd get the chrono working and go back and see what your velocity is.

Also, If your shooting one hole groups with the 140, why try the 160's?

Just trying to establish a variety and have a load worked up for an elk hunt in my hopefully near future as well as stretching out the distance with the 160’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                          Just trying to establish a variety and have a load worked up for an elk hunt in my hopefully near future as well as stretching out the distance with the 160’s.

That's cool. I just was wondering. I ain't never satisfied with a load anyway and I'm always tinkering with it trying to make it better.

Comment

Looks a little hot, but not overly concerning without any other pressure signs.
                            Since the brass is new I'd go again with the same load and fire formed brass prepped however you plan to do it regularly.

Comment

Primers aren’t as good at showing pressure as other signs. You don’t have the slightest ejector mark or swipe. Roberts recommendation of measuring headspace by shoulder of fired vs virgin brass will explain your ring at case head. Make sure you aren’t oversizing your brass and it won’t be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X