Where can I buy mayhaw berries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I buy mayhaw berries?

I usually pick them off my deer lease every year. This years crop is not a very big one. I was hoping someone on here knows a place I can just buy some to make jelly with. Preferably 59 area Humble to Livingston. That is unless someone will ship them.

Ttt

Comment

I have never seen them for sale.

Comment

There use to be a place near me called Jackson fruit farm. They sold them there for many years. The man that owned it passed away and the business closed. I was hoping someone else knew of a place.

Comment

We used to get berries from Mr. Jackson. He had the best and it’s a shame his kids shut it down. I had a few gallons in the freezer and hopefully my supplier has few gallons this year. We did get 4 from my mothers trees.

Comment

My grandma and her family always called them grapes in the Big Thicket where they grew wild.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
              My grandma and her family always called them grapes in the Big Thicket where they grew wild.
              That’s what I’ve always heard them called. I thought there was some new berries out there for a moment.

Comment

Lady in diboll has an orchard. Not sure of the name.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Grapes grow on a vine. Mayhaws on a tree in water

Comment

I believe that little fresh fruit/veggie stand in Corrigan right there on 59 past the Brookshire brothers sells them? Not sure though. I know they have the jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Grapes grow on a vine. Mayhaws on a tree in water

This^^^^^. I live in the big Thicket. They are two different things

Comment

I hope to go to my lease tomorrow and pick up enough to make some jelly. They aren't as many as I seen in the past.
                        Does anyone have a good recipe? I've never made Mayhaw jelly and need a quarantine project.

Comment

You might search the internet, if you have not already. I never heard of mayhaw berries, so I looked them up, think my mother's aunt used to have one of those trees in her yard. But in the process of trying to figure out what they are, a map popped up with multiple places listing them, including HEB. But I checked on HEB's site, they don't have them, I guess because of the word berries, it listed HEB.

So what are those things like or similar to?

Comment

I’d have to charge $275 a gallon after spending the day on my hands and knees.
                            I did pick up 3 gallons in the past couple days. I have 6 mayhaw trees but they’re not putting off yet

Comment

Muscadine and mayhaws are exactly the same but different.

Comment

Working...
                              X