Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle - Debating a purchase, what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been "negotiating" with my wife for several years to get a Fat Boy with little success. She says I can get one when my kids are old enough that they don't need me anymore. I think this is a little crazy because I have had dirt bikes, and 700cc quads the hole time that are just as likely to kill me. My quad goes 90 on the dirt and is not safe! They are in the process of building a Harley dealership right beside my church and I told my wife that it a sign straight from God.

Comment

I've got a Street Glide and love it. It's a very comfortable bike. It rides smooth and has plenty of power. Like many other "man toys" it's like Legos for big kids. I'm constantly upgrading, swapping and changing stuff up. It's alot of fun. I eyeballed street bikes for 23 years before I finally pulled the trigger. I grew up riding dirt bikes as well. I ride every chance I get. I say go for it. However, don't stop at just the basic rider safety course. Go get more advanced training after that. I watch lots of YouTube videos about riding skills and go practice those as well. I'm also fortunate enough to have friends that are motorcycle police officers who are without a doubt the best riders on the road. Good tips and techniques learned from them had made me a much better rider than I once was.

Comment

My Dad Retired at the age of 56, My Dad and my Mom have been to every State in the United States, including Alaska and also Canada on a Harley. He is 71 now and they just got back from Sturgis last week, rode the whole way. I worry about them on the bike but they love it and It beats sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch letting life pass by. He has had some close calls and has be in one accident. They recently went to Hawaii on there 50th anniversary and he rented a Harley over there and rode it to complete all the states.

Live life...Love life...your only here for a short Time.

Comment

Death rate for all humans (not including 1 Resurrection) - 100%.

When it is your time you can't change it or negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
            Death rate for all humans (not including 1 Resurrection) - 100%.

Sweet. I think I’ll take up heroin!!

Comment

Do what makes you happy. I loved riding, it was a great way to make for a fun commute. I rode 4 different bikes and yeah had some pretty close calls, sometimes seemed like people were intentionally trying to hit me (couple times that was definitely true). My sons all thought motorcycles were cool, oldest one bought one and wrecked almost killing himself and ruined his military career plans, younger ones started talking about how cool motorcycles are so I bailed and never looked back. I'll never ride again because I don't want my sons riding, nor future grandchildren.

Comment

I've had two good solid bouts of road rash from the street and plenty of TI parts mixed into my bones from motocross. I was in the "i'm going to ride every day crowd" until I had kids. We ride on the dirt but I doubt I'll ride again on the street. Maybe some day when they are grown i'll do it again for fun. But you will never catch me commuting or riding in the city again.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post

Ummm, no

Comment

I do see one phrase being repeated over and over, "I will never ride in the city again." It's almost to the point you have to travel through some bigger cities to get where you are going.

I do appreciate all the input for sure.

Comment

I rode one in college. 2 buddies died and i decided that it might be me next. never been back on one since.

if you get a bike, don't go cheap on tires, brakes, jacket, or helmet. and don't get an exhaust, or sound system/headphones so dang loud you can't hear what is going on around you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I do see one phrase being repeated over and over, "I will never ride in the city again." It's almost to the point you have to travel through some bigger cities to get where you are going.

I do appreciate all the input for sure.
                        I hated riding in large cities....I was always careful to watch side roads and be sure not to ride in a cars blind spot on multilane roads either speed up or slow down to get out of it.. And I like loud pipes, I wanted people to know I was there!!

Comment

Been there and done that. Wrecked some bikes... wrecked some cars.... realized I would rather be in a car when something stupid happens. And something stupid always seems to happen when your trying to have some sort of fun.

Comment

i was 52 when i got my first Trike. changed my life for the good. i bought a Boss Hoss which is on the high end $$wise. but is awesome for riding with my girlfriend and longer trips. i just did a round trip to Sturgis and road 3600 in 11 days.
                            if interested, i have a friend who is a retired dealer who has used trike with less than 5K miles on it that he is selling for the owners wife. the owner passed away from health issue.
                            its has a V8 engine and automatic transmission. no shifting required, with reverse as well.

Comment

You know what they say, there's two kinds of riders. Those that have been down and those that are going down. I love bikes but I've got to the age where I realize that I don't bounce any more ( just kinda hit and stick). I've gone down and had several close calls. Didn't want to push my luck. Too many idiots on the roads these days. Getting to the age now where, to me, it just aint worth the worry I'd put my wife thru. Going sky diving next though.

Comment

i bought a Boss Hoss trike in my 50's. changed my life for the good. i just got back from an 11 day trip to Sturgis SD. 3600 miles.
                                i have a friend who is an ex-dealership owner. he has a trike he is selling for the owners wife. the owner passed away under health condition.
                                its a 350 V8 with an automatic transmission.
                                it will pull trailers that most guys trailer their bikes on!
                                P.M. me and i can get you pictures and contact information.
                                my girlfriend fell in love with riding, before she fell in love with me. (so she says) your wife will love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X