Ruger Mini 14.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger Mini 14.

I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. Are the newer ones any better accuracy wise than the other models? I've heard they are but I don't know from personal experience. I have three .223's already so I really don't need another but I've always liked the looks of the mini 14 so I don't see why one more would hurt.

I guess I could consider a mini 30 as well as far as that goes. How many of y'all shoot either one and what's your opinion on them?

I have a 580 series and accuracy is bleeping terrible, worse than I ever thought possible. I should sell it but I am weak and all my guns have sentimental value to me. Not sure about the newer series, hopefully they are better and maybe I got a lemon, who knows.

Comment

I had a 580 series and the accuracy with 55s wasn't bad. I shot 3" groups at 200 yards several times. That said when you through a 20 round mag quickly the groups would start to open up, so I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I have always preferred the looks and handling of the mini to the AR, but that is just personal preference. Mine was completely reliable, and I feel accurate enough for what I had it for. I consider buying another one from time to time still. I guess the main thing is to understand that a Mini is not an AR, and try not to compare the two because they are really very different guns

Comment

I barrowed one from a friend to check the accuracy. The thing was all over the place. I have herd that if you get one from the Ruger custom shop, the accuracy is a lot better!

Comment

Completely overpriced and underperforming.

Comment

Ar wins in every category.

Comment

They are still well received & have a cult like following...I never owned or shot one. I checked my old auctions but the mini 30's I sold were too old to recall.

Here's some recent mini 14's / Ranch Rifles.

Currently:

Recently Sold:

Comment

My grandpa has a custom Mini 14 with a fluted barrel and a laminate thumbhole stock that will keep up with any AR I've ever been around....but....he paid to get it that way too. I don't necessarily expect it to be a prairie dog rifle but I'd like to be able to hit coyotes and head shoot hogs at least. I don't know what twist the barrels are but I assume 1:9 twist. The fact that I might be shooting hogs with it makes me lean a little more towards the Mini 30.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  I had a 580 series and the accuracy with 55s wasn't bad. I shot 3" groups at 200 yards several times. That said when you through a 20 round mag quickly the groups would start to open up, so I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I have always preferred the looks and handling of the mini to the AR, but that is just personal preference. Mine was completely reliable, and I feel accurate enough for what I had it for. I consider buying another one from time to time still. I guess the main thing is to understand that a Mini is not an AR, and try not to compare the two because they are really very different guns
                  I'm right there with you. I've shot a mini 14 my uncle has and I really liked it but I really didn't shoot anything that far away or enough to really test the accuracy. I can shoot an AR just fine but I grew up shooting bolt guns and mini's have more of the "traditional" rifle feel to them I guess you can say and they're a little more comfortable to me. Plus I like the looks of them as well.

Comment

Shot turkey at the base of the neck at 80 - 90 yards the last five years. I love mine.

Comment

No problem with mine. Killed coyotes and pigs with it. It's for sale. Search dallred if interested.

Comment

If you just want one to have one then just get it. If you want one for a purpose, an AR!5 is better in literally every way.

Comment

I have a NRA Version and it is very accurate for some reason. I have been told the shorter barrel cools down faster and maybe that's why?????
                          We have 2 and really like both, the NRA has taken many coyotes , weighs a lot less than my AR. Never had any issues with it.

Comment

I have a 580 series which was a machining and production improvement over the prior series (180 I believe). It is indeed more accurate than the older styles that I have shot.
                            Ruger enhanced the 580 series further by putting a heavier barrel on.
                            My 580 is as accurate as my Marlin .30-.30. I consider both to be sub 100 yard guns.
                            The Mini is a good "ranch" rifle as it was intended.
                            There are subjective areas where the Mini outshines an AR15. I find that they are easier and more comfortable to carry in the woods with a sling.

Comment

I love my mini-30. It is my 'go to' gun when just jumping on the ATV to cruise around or just walking around. Great for hogs, varmints, etc. But I consider it my 'ranch gun' - I don't think of it as some long-distance competition gun.
                              So, the accuracy is fine with me. It is a great hog killer (or deer) to 100 yards easily.
                              I recently made some mods to mine as shown.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X