Dalmatian dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalmatian dogs?

Looking for some opinion on Dalmatian dogs.
    We lost out lab of 13 years and my wife is interested in getting a Dalmatian next. I am a big labrador fan but being a fireman, I have always thought it would be neat to have a Dalmatian.
    Hoping to hear some opinions on training, behavior, temperament, etc.
    We have 5 and 3 year old daughters, so we want a good fit for the family.

I had a female years ago. Never saw a more loyal and protective dog but she was testy around kids. I didnt have any kids so I cant say how she would have been with kids in her family

Comment

I had one early in college because I thought it would be cool. Did not like strangers or anyone besides me and my roomate who lived in the house. As he got older the meaner he got and he began to snap at folks. Did not like him around friends and kids that came by. Gave him to a guy who lived out in the country at age 4. Said I would never get another one and have not. I've been a lab guy ever since. Labs have personalities, they are lovable, they are working dogs with a purpose.....they are pleasers. None of which my dalmation was.

Comment

I think they are cool dogs, but I have heard they can be pretty aggressive. Also, when I was a kid the couple that ran a deer lease we were on had one. He was mean and everyone knew to stay away from him especially kids. That said, like any dog I’m sure if they are raised and socialized good they can be okay.

Comment

Can be aggressive to others, typically have a decent bit of health issues, mostly skin/coat

Comment

I had one in college at SFA. Zero was known all over campus. He would follow me to class and sit by the door waiting until I came out.

It took a few days to train him to not be distracted by other students. He was a great dog with a good temperament.

Comment

I had one for about a month (gave her to the local fire dept).

I wasn’t a fan of her personality, she had a lot of dander, and wasn’t the friendliest to small people/kids. I’ll stick to my German Shepherds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Had a Dalmation Heeler cross. He was really good natured and loved the woods, birds, pigs, etc. Skin problems tore him up. He was a good dog and very loyal. Sneaky as the devil, though (that was the heeler side).

Comment

Had a friend as a kid growing up that had a male and a female and they had to be locked up anytime someone came over including me. Meanest dogs I ever saw.

Comment

I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.

Comment

My best friend had one growing up. It was a mean *** dog and would try to bite everyone that didn't live there.

Comment

Cannot be trusted...…
                        don't do it......

Comment

If it wasn't for Budweiser commercials those dogs would be hated like pit bulls.

Comment

I had one for a few years- from a puppy to ~2-3 yo.
                            It was the least smart (to put it nicely) dog I ever owned.

I gave it to a wrecker shop and it became their yard dog until it played in traffic one too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up having a Dalmatian my entire life and will always have at least one. I have two right now. One is around 10 years old and the other is 3 and they're awesome dogs. I've never had a problem out of them besides the shedding. It can get bad at times. My grandparents have four and they're the same way. My grandparents own a fire museum and constantly have strangers at their place and have never had one issue with them being aggressive in any way. My grandparents are actually looking for a male to breed one of their dogs now. If anyone has a male that'd be interested in breeding pm me. He's located in Waller.

Comment

Working...
                              X