Camp Electric Fence Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Electric Fence Help

Need to keep cattle out of our camp area.

Current thoughts are one strand 110v electric charger and fence. Have plug in electricity close by.

Need charger and all other suggestion for a 1000 to 1500 sq ft area.

Are the cows always the same size or do they ever run cow/calves on there? We had a two strand on our duck lease millet fields and the first year it was fine nut the second they put calves and they got in and tore the hole thing down trying to get back out. Set your posts closer together than you think you need to but don't stretch the wire taught, you want it to give a little if they push on it. Honestly running more wires is super easy once you have set the posts and put the clips on there. I will run three wires this year and that should cover me for all sizes of cattle.

I used this charger.

It was highly rated and worked well for me. Shocked me through leather gloves and while wearing rubber boots!

Make sure you ground the fence properly. We used three grounding rods and put them in alower area that won't dry out as fast but not stay under water either.

One more tip, install several gates!
    Last edited by muddyz; 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for write up and suggestions

Yes we will have some calves at times so sounds like we may need 2 strand

Parmak chargers do have positive reviews

Comment

Camp is also down near a tank so we should be able to ground in an area that would stay moist

Comment

You can also try using the plastic post that you can step into the ground and just use a regular Metal T Post every 5 plastic post. You can get them at Tractor Supply.

Comment

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
            You can also try using the plastic post that you can step into the ground and just use a regular Metal T Post every 5 plastic post. You can get them at Tractor Supply.
            Sounds like a lot less work

Thanks for sharing

Comment

We did 2 wire and had power but also solar back up, power blinked alot out there

Comment

You can get what you need at TSC. Grounding is the most critical part of the electric fence IME. Once livestock get zapped by the fence they usually don't challenge it much after that. Keep the grass/weeds/brush sprayed or mowed down under/close to the fence to keep it from grounding out. If you set good corners then you can get buy with the fiberglass post only on that much fencing.

Comment

Parmak charger. Have had good luck with them over the years, I wouldn't recommend using anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by bjg View Post
                    Parmak charger. Have had good luck with them over the years, I wouldn't recommend using anything else.
                    Thanks for second confirmation on Parmak charger brand

Comment

Good point on the clearance. You can't have any vegetation touching the fence for it to perform optimally. We weedeat ours down every year and it's fine but keep it away from bushes or other fast growing things.

Also mine was solar powered as we have now power and it ran for two years straight without any maintenance until dirt robbers finally got it so gummed up. Easy fix to just cover the drain hole in the battery box. Once I cleaned it out it ran again after just sitting in the sun for a day.

Comment

Working...
                      X