Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
TexasHunter83
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee County, Colorado
Default Round Came Through Camp!

Just got a text from my Uncle, who's at the deer lease, saying that they had a bullet ricochet through our camp.

When I was there last week, there were some guys to our north who showed up about 10:30 in the morning and were just driving around their property shooting. Didn't sound like they were hunting, but just driving around and randomly blasting a few rounds here and there. We've heard from other landowners and hunters in the area, that these guys are always shooting.

From my uncle's description, they're in there today and have been shooting. According to what he said, he heard the bullet whistle through our camp.

I texted him the numbers for both the county sheriff's office and the GW. Not sure what to do at this point. Should he attempt to talk to them? Call the GW? Sherriff? Both?

Last edited by TexasHunter83; 01-13-2018 at 01:56 PM.
TexasHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
freestylest22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Kent/Cottle/Briscoe & Idaho

I'd call the warden
freestylest22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
TexasHunter83
Six Point

Just heard that my dad called the warden and left a message. Hasn't heard back from him yet
Old 01-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
TexasHunter83
Six Point

Update:

According to my uncle, the round whistled through camp and had to have been within about 20ft of where they were sitting.

Dad heard back from the GW and told him what was going on. In the meantime, my Uncle went down the road to their property and made contact with the guys shooting. According to him they were nice fellas and they had no idea there was anyone hunting our property, or that we had a camp on it. Turns out they always shoot towards a big oak tree on their property. Coincidentally, our camp is a couple hundred yards passed that tree, and directly in-line. There's basically no back-stop other than that tree.

Anyway, after my uncle talked to them, My dad called the GW back and told him that it was somewhat resolved, but he basically just wanted him to be aware in case we had any more issues.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

I would have the GW go talk to them anyway to make sure they understood the gravity of the situation. Nice guys or not, they need to be made aware that their bullets crossing property lines are illegal, and possibly deadly.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
rattler03
Six Point

Hunt In: archer, val verde & hays counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I would have the GW go talk to them anyway to make sure they understood the gravity of the situation. Nice guys or not, they need to be made aware that their bullets crossing property lines are illegal, and possibly deadly.
I agree ... some may take things a little more seriously when they get a warning from law enforcement. I would do whatever I could to get these guys to fully understand the possibly deadly ramifications of repeating these actions.
rattler03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Just make sure they know you have advised the GW/LEO.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Pstraw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Absolutely NO REASON to not know where your bullets are going!
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
ShawnG
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
This.
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Exactly
Muygrande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
Da' Hitman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Smith County

I think you handled it perfectly. Now that they are aware I'm betting it doesn't happen again and you were able to maintain a good relationship with neighbors
Da' Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Rule 1: Keep firearm pointed in safe direction.
Rule 2: ALWAYS know what is beyond your target.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Always know what’s beyond your target.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
TexasHunter83
Six Point

I'll keep you guys updated if I find out anything else. I wasn't present, so it's really not my call on getting the GW pointed in any one direction, but I trust my Dad's and Uncle's judgment.

From what I understand, the guys had some younger kids with them at the time and just seemed like they were out trying to have fun. He said they were polite, friendly, and apologetic and said it would never happen again. The guys showed him where they were shooting and showed them the direction of camp as well as the direction of my blind from their location. Apparently the guy had a broken leg most of last year and hadn't really been out to his property in a while, so he was unaware of where we have our camp. To his defense, you can't see our camp from the road and you can't see it from where they were shooting; it's tucked into the S. Texas brush. That said, he should be aware that his rounds are crossing property lines and should install a proper backstop. In my personal opinion, the properties in the area are really too close together to be target shooting without a proper backstop.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Hunter98
Six Point

Hunt In: Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHunter83 View Post
Just got a text from my Uncle, who's at the deer lease, saying that they had a bullet ricochet through our camp.

When I was there last week, there were some guys to our north who showed up about 10:30 in the morning and were just driving around their property shooting. Didn't sound like they were hunting, but just driving around and randomly blasting a few rounds here and there. We've heard from other landowners and hunters in the area, that these guys are always shooting.

From my uncle's description, they're in there today and have been shooting. According to what he said, he heard the bullet whistle through our camp.

I texted him the numbers for both the county sheriff's office and the GW. Not sure what to do at this point. Should he attempt to talk to them? Call the GW? Sherriff? Both?
I hunt near Evant and we have show Jackwagons that come to their lease to the north of us. They come to shoot guns apparently cause they ain't hunting. Why would you shoot that much during deer season, just don't get it. #morons #cityslickers

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #16
TexasHunter83
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98 View Post
I hunt near Evant and we have show Jackwagons that come to their lease to the north of us. They come to shoot guns apparently cause they ain't hunting. Why would you shoot that much during deer season, just don't get it. #morons #cityslickers

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I hear ya. lol. I was hunting last Wednesday (I work shift) and they came through shooting. My dad and I were griping to each other for a few minutes and then it hit me that it was Wednesday. I laughed and said, "Well, I guess if there's any day of the week to come shooting during deer season, it would be Wednesday." lol

I don't think these guys are deer hunters. It's just a piece of property they have and they go out and shoot stuff. "Shoot that stick...shoot that tree....shoot that rock..." lol
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Dealt with an issue similar to this. Guy was shooting at a tree on his property. Round ricocheted off the tree flew into a subdivision behind the property and hit an 8 year girl in the elbow while she was playing in the back yard. She had to have surgery to remove the projectile. Charges were filed needless to say.

Sierracharlie outů
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top