Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County
Default Family law/divorce attorney

Anyone here work in this field or know someone that does? Couple searches and can't find anyone.

Short version, trying to avoid hiring an attorney, but don't mind paying for a consultation. I have a divorce decree proposal from her attorney and just have a couple questions on the legal jargon. It would take someone knowledgeable about 10 minutes to read and probably 10-15 minutes on the phone to answer my questions.

I'm trying to keep this amicable between us and want to avoid a court battle. No kids involved and I'm agreeable to the terms offered, just a couple questions on wording before I sign and return.

Thanks
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

Imho, no matter what you think about the proposal, if.she has an attorney you need one.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

Been there. Pay an attorney. Thought I didn’t need to since we agreed on everything going in. Allow me to repeat myself: PAY AN ATTORNEY!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
rjet
Pope & Young

Went through this last year after 23 years of marriage.
Luckily we were able to do it ourselves without an attorney.
Seems to me the decree is what it is. If you only have a few questions you should be able to find somebody to answer them and not spend thousands for an attorney.
I did talk with an attorney on a phone about a few questions I had and he did answer them for free. But really tried to push me to hire him. That would have been a huge mistake in our circumstance.
Was shocked how easy the process was (without kids makes it simple). I think we spent 2 minutes in front of the judge. Asked if we both agreed to what was in the decree and that was it.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

As said before. I would pay an attorney to read and comment on the proposal. Better to pay one now than find out later that they slipped one to you.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Anyone here work in this field or know someone that does? Couple searches and can't find anyone.

Short version, trying to avoid hiring an attorney, but don't mind paying for a consultation. I have a divorce decree proposal from her attorney and just have a couple questions on the legal jargon. It would take someone knowledgeable about 10 minutes to read and probably 10-15 minutes on the phone to answer my questions.

I'm trying to keep this amicable between us and want to avoid a court battle. No kids involved and I'm agreeable to the terms offered, just a couple questions on wording before I sign and return.

Thanks
You will be taken to the cleaners without legal representation. Her counsel is probably licking his/her chops right now and smells blood in the water. If your ex is amicable, y'all should have agreed to handle this between each other and had the judge sign off

prayers sent up
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Several here in area that I work with. Let me know I can put you in touch one one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
rjet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
You will be taken to the cleaners without legal representation. Her counsel is probably licking his/her chops right now and smells blood in the water. If your ex is amicable, y'all should have agreed to handle this between each other and had the judge sign off

prayers sent up
How will he be taken to the cleaners when everything is in writing?
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
flyby
Ten Point

Guys, this is not a big deal. After 36 years of marriage she has decided to move on. No fighting/arguing, and the proposal is reasonable. Just a couple questions on legal terminology. DFWPI, sending you a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post
How will he be taken to the cleaners when everything is in writing?
It all depends on what the divorce decree proposal states. What if the ex wants 1/2 of his 401K, investments, property, firearms, boats, vehicles, retirement money, etc ..... and he can't touch any of her aforementioned items ?

If the agreement is 50/50 on all of their assets including investments, then that would be considered "fair and balanced" IMO.

Quote:
Guys, this is not a big deal. After 36 years of marriage she has decided to move on. No fighting/arguing, and the proposal is reasonable. Just a couple questions on legal terminology. DFWPI, sending you a PM. Thanks.
good to hear, and best of luck
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
flyby
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
It all depends on what the divorce decree proposal states. What if the ex wants 1/2 of his 401K, investments, property, firearms, boats, vehicles, retirement money, etc ..... and he can't touch any of her aforementioned items ?

If the agreement is 50/50 on all of their assets including investments, then that would be considered "fair and balanced" IMO.

good to hear, and best of luck
The proposal is fair. Just want clarification on legal terminology.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Can you post the terminology in question? or have you tried 'googling' for an attorney near you or 'googling' the terminology in question? Since you asked for an attorney I would use google if no one has any recommendations.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
The proposal is fair. Just want clarification on legal terminology.
FYI... just dont sign the little paper waiving your right to appear in court so you wont be inconvenienced. If you do, they can show up and ask the judge for anything they want regardless of your agreement. You wont know it until its too late.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
flyby
Ten Point

Haven't heard from DFWPI, still looking for a contact.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
Lightning48
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Mary Holland and Associates located in Bedford,Tx
Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top