Homemade Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Feeder

Anobody have plans for a homemade feeder? More specifically, a broadcast type feeder, not just the gravity / chain feeder.
    This is my first year potentially getting on a lease and I need something that's dependable and fairly cheap.

Can You Weld?

Comment

No way I'll ever win any contests, but I can stick 2 pieces of metal together.

Comment

I used a funnel and put the timer, battery and wires in the barrel through the trap door.

[ATTACH]46238[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]46239[/ATTACH]

Comment

Love the ingenuity on the trap door idea. I'm guessing the wiring comes back through the pipes?
          I know we all love camo and natural shades, but how critical is it that the feeder looks 'natural' as possible?

Comment

i used to be on a lease with a guy that used a old military ammo box with a quartz timer inside he turned the box sidways ran the spinner out the side and mounted it with 4 long bolts...i thought it was a good idea for a spinner it had all the room u needed for the spinner plate he just used a peice of flashing cut in a circle with a very small bolt on it one on each side to keep the ballance of the spinner...it didnt throw very far but what does that matter it got the job done

Comment

I've heard of the ammo can idea. Anybody have some more specifics on how this works, and where to find supplies?

Comment

Chas-Mac used to make the bee-line feeder that used a an ammo can like you describe. Also used to be able to buy the ammo cans with the holes cut out already from them. I just looked at their website and it doesn't look like they have them anymore, but you might give them a call to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott G View Post
                  Chas-Mac used to make the bee-line feeder that used a an ammo can like you describe.
                  http://www.chas-mac.com/feeders.htm
                  I've got one of those that's been running great for 10 years. It'll run all season on a regular old lantern battery. I'll see if I can find some pictures

Comment

I made my homemade feeder out of a 5 gallon white bucket and 3 brackets and 2 big 2x4's in the garage! I spray painted it camo. It works well the only problem is that the screws through the bracket and the bucket dont hold very good. As in if a hog trys to bump it to get to the corn it will knock the leg off. But here are some pictures in a movie of the feeder and you can see that it is working good for me. I put this stuff called Deer Cane in with the corn and the deer and hogs have just tore up the ground cause the feeder was empty, they were trying to get more deer cane. It was a fun little project when I got bored after school!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like using ammo cans. I prefer 30 caliber but 50 caliber cans are nice, too. You can/should be able to find them at an Amry/Navy Surplus store, if you have one. I see them online, too. If interested, I can take some pics and post them. They are tough as nails but not so thick that they're hard to drill or cut.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofshots View Post
                        Love the ingenuity on the trap door idea. I'm guessing the wiring comes back through the pipes?I know we all love camo and natural shades, but how critical is it that the feeder looks 'natural' as possible?
                        That's right, got tired of wires getting chewed up. I don't think the color makes any difference to the deer but can help hide it from human eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by bar2hunter View Post
                          I like using ammo cans. I prefer 30 caliber but 50 caliber cans are nice, too. You can/should be able to find them at an Amry/Navy Surplus store, if you have one. I see them online, too. If interested, I can take some pics and post them. They are tough as nails but not so thick that they're hard to drill or cut.
                          Please post the pics.

Comment

This is a "store-bought" ammo can feeder made by Chas-Mac in Houston. I think you can still buy the components for them and put them in your own ammo can. This one has served me well for 10 years. I never put a solar panel on it because a regular lantern battery lasts at least 6 months of throwing twice a day. A small "N" battery runs the clock so the big battery is only on for the few seconds that the motor is running.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	23848638

Name:	feeder3.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	23848639

Name:	feeder2.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	23848641

Name:	feeder4.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	23848640

Comment

I have to in the field and both look real similiar to Jerps'. This is one I put together a little differently...

IMO, ammo cans are about the best thing to use for homemade feeders. They tough, varmint proof, dry and will probably outlast any timer and/or battery you put in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X