Arrow insert question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow insert question

I have had to replace several of my carbon arrow inserts. I just got some off the shelf at academy and glued them in with "insert iron". I noticed when I give them the old spin test, they wobble, and shoot erratically. I have been shooting 29", 400 Easton excel carboneros. Is there a specific insert I should be buying? And how can I get the inserts pulled back out?

Make sure they are the right size inserts of course,to remove you can place a field point in the insert and heat with a torch and when glue gets hot pull out with pliers,careful not to heat the arrow. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
      I have had to replace several of my carbon arrow inserts. I just got some off the shelf at academy and glued them in with "insert iron". I noticed when I give them the old spin test, they wobble, and shoot erratically. I have been shooting 29", 400 Easton excel carboneros. Is there a specific insert I should be buying? And how can I get the inserts pulled back out?
      They also may need to be squared.

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
        how many pounds? a 29" 400 spine is pretty limber.

pretty hard to get an insert so far out of line as to affect flight of field point. if you were already on the ragged edge spine wise and the new ones are weigh more that could do it.

Comment

I would first square the insert. Re-spin them before going to the trouble of removing the inserts.
          Roy

Comment

Ditto on the squaring. These handy little gizmos work great. ASG - "Arrow Squaring Device"
            Click image for larger version

Name:	asg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	24259554
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jerp; 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

If they need to come out. Drop a drill bit down the shaft as close to the same size as the inside diameter of the arrow. WARNING! Whip the arrow down a few times and the insert will come out....VERY FAST. Wear safety glasses.

Comment

If you do the "drill bit" removal, make sure it is in a VERY SAFE direction.
                Roy
                DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                  how many pounds? a 29" 400 spine is pretty limber.

pretty hard to get an insert so far out of line as to affect flight of field point. if you were already on the ragged edge spine wise and the new ones are weigh more that could do it.
                  My bow is a 70#. I don't know what actual weight is, but I'm sure it's at least 65#.

Comment

Working...
                  X